Making your own guitar pedals / stomp boxes

Well, fuck that. I got my enclosure and my helpful workmate managed to get in touch with them to arrange a direct transfer thingy through a cash machine.

She asked how they could have messed up the COD thing and they said that they can’t do cash on delivery (despite it being one of the payment options on their site (and the only reason why I used them)).

Shame, really, cos I probably would have used them in the future. Not any more though.

wtf? re-read your comment mate :slight_smile:

Actually, now that you’ve brought this thread back to life, AWOL, I might as well mention that that box from RS ended up costing me 571nt$.

This past weekend I was at the electronics shop in Taipei City Mall (where I have searched in vain before for the same box) and found two of them for 150nt$ each. I bought both, but I’m slightly cheesed off. Oh well, Murphy’s law and all that. I should be happy really, cos I wasn’t going to get any more from RS.

P.S. Here’s the almost-finished project:

lovely stuff

how did you do the screen printing/artwork?

you should check out my add on reverb that I put on my Plexi 50 head… I used a switch box as an extension chassis because I couldn’t find a way to punch holes for a tube socket (the hole saw I got was too small!) but the holes in the switch box fits perfectly.

[quote=“AWOL”]lovely stuff

how did you do the screen printing/artwork?[/quote]

That was done on a little label printer I have at work. The labels are 72mm x 54mm, so that’s why it only covers part of the box. I drew the artwork in Illustrator. Here’s a jpeg of it:

The box was just sprayed with a can of car paint.

Rahimiiii, nice amp.

[quote=“irishstu”][quote=“AWOL”]lovely stuff

how did you do the screen printing/artwork?[/quote]

That was done on a little label printer I have at work. The labels are 72mm x 54mm, so that’s why it only covers part of the box. I drew the artwork in Illustrator.

The box was just sprayed with a can of car paint.

Rahimiiii, nice amp.[/quote]

Yea, I got it at www.ceriatone.com, they are in malaysia so shipping to Taiwan won’t be that expensive. They have a very high review with folks back home. If you can’t solder stuff together (those amp got high voltage inside… watch out!) you can have the guy build it for you, at a price. You could put together a 100 watt head for like less than $900 US, even cheaper if you assemble it yourself. You can’t find a deal like that in Taiwan… tube amps are overpriced here.

the ceriatone stuff gets rave reviews here in oz too. lovely stuff and anice retro fit for the reverb.

Yea, how about getting a half stack for like less than 50,000NT? not gonna happen in Taiwan if you buy all those overpriced Marshall/Bogner/Engl/Messy Booger/stuff… they all go over 100K. Of course I had to build the boxes… pipings and tolex available VERY cheaply at di-wha street (迪化街) like the same amount of tolex and piping (4 yards of tolex and 20 feet of pipings) will cost you over 200 bucks back home. Only problem is I can’t find baltic birch for the life of me so I had to settle with those cheap shit luan plywoods. Might use pine shelf next time if I can find something 14 inches wide or over. Oh and the best part is that when you buy from Ceriatone they will declare whatever value you tell them to, to avoid the nasty 30% tax that amps usually get… and you can basically label it as “electronic parts” anyways. However you’d be screwed if the package was damaged because they’d only reimburse you at the declared price.

Oh and routers are NOISY! after routing boards and stuff I come back half deaf. Wear a earplug when doing this to protect yourself. As for neighbors, they’re louder most the time anyways esp. when a sound truck comes by (or some god’s birthday rolls around) so they’re fair game. Just don’t work after 10PM.

[quote=“irishstu”]P.S. Here’s the almost-finished project:

[/quote]
What’s that, a remote detonator? - Someone call the authorities! :runaway:

[quote=“Rascal”][quote=“irishstu”]P.S. Here’s the almost-finished project:

[/quote]
What’s that, a remote detonator? - Someone call the authorities! :runaway:[/quote]

Shhh! It’s my world domination machine. Now be quiet or I’ll set my sharks (the ones with frickin laser beams on their heads) on you!

[quote=“Rascal”][quote=“irishstu”]P.S. Here’s the almost-finished project:

[/quote]
What’s that, a remote detonator? - Someone call the authorities! :runaway:[/quote]

It’s a box that controls how many people die a minute, as well as temperature of the sun…

I missed this thread the first time around.

Back in the day I built a lot of boxes using Craig Anderton’s book “Electronic Projects for Musicians”. It is probably out of print but you might be able to find a copy somewhere. Lots of good stuff in it. Even has prints of the layouts for etching.

EDIT: I see they have it on Amazon.

[quote=“elektronisk”]I missed this thread the first time around.

Back in the day I built a lot of boxes using Craig Anderton’s book “Electronic Projects for Musicians”. It is probably out of print but you might be able to find a copy somewhere. Lots of good stuff in it. Even has prints of the layouts for etching.

EDIT: I see they have it on Amazon.[/quote]

Interesting. I recently bought a second-hand, obviously homemade stomp box at Tony’s and was wondering who in the hell could’ve made it. I doubt it was a local. I don’t suppose any of yours ever ended up in the second-hand market here? Or anyone else for that matter?

Here’s what it looks like. Sounds a bit like a Tube Screamer, if not slightly better, so well worth the 500nt I paid for it.

Wow, that book looks very familiar. I seem to have memories of checking it out of the library, like, 20 years ago. It is that old?

I need like a delay pedal as well as chorus… don’t want to pay 3000NT in parts just to make one though… I know American made stuff is good but how much better (especially when Taiwanese stuff is CHEAP)?

Good luck making a delay pedal. That circuit will be really complicated. Seriously, I’d recommend either buying a kit from generalguitargadgets.com or just buy a pedal second hand if you’re trying to save money.

I found American prices to be really reasonable, even with postage. I had a few bits sent over in fact.

But really, the biggest problem for me was sourcing the parts here. For that reason alone, if I were ever to build another Phase 100, I would just buy the kit.

[quote=“irishstu”]Hey all,
I was wondering if anyone else here has ever made their own guitar pedals?
I’ve made a few in the past and have recently got back into it. I’ve only ever followed circuit diagrams that I’ve found on internet. No real design on my part (yet).

I’m currently working on a clone of the MXR Phase 100 ( generalguitargadgets.com/ind … Itemid=140 ).

Anyway, without going on about it (until there’s any interest), anyone else make guitar pedals here?[/quote]My brother made me a really robust soft distort pedal (some kind of transistor circuit that tries to emulate valve distortion). I wanted to play guitar but was crap so I used the pedal with my Hohner Clavinet instead. I’ve still got it somewhere I think.

Why have so many pedals when you only have two feet?

Yes. Obviously I didn’t have the first edition.