Making your own guitar pedals / stomp boxes

Well, I had a go at making a new type of label at the weekend. Not quite water-slide decal, but rather adhesive clear A4-sized sheets that I found in an art shop.

Here’s the first attempt. I’m pretty happy with it, except that there are a couple of sort-of air bubbles, where it didn’t quite stick right, despite my care at preparing the surface first.

Wow, very nice Irish… Your stuff gets more professional looking with every version you make, I particularly like the Morrow logo… Quality work…

Thanks man. Much appreciated.

Incidentally I got my hands on a big bit of vero board a month or so back, so if you need any more, I have plenty to spare.

Like, you know… if you wanted to try one of these, for example: generalguitargadgets.com/ric … index.html

Anyone know where I can get my guitar pedal repaired in Taipei?
It’s a digitech and it’s about 6 years old.
Just died on me. Don’t know if it works with batteries, but using the power cable (I tried a few to see if it was that) it has no life.

cheers.

Probably through the Digitech website you might find something, although if it is merely a matter of a loosened wire you might want to take a look inside before sending it off. There’s a company in Taiwan that appears to handle some service or distribution matters for Digitech, and at least they might be able to steer you in the right direction:

RELIANCE INT’L
PO BOX 96-140 3RD FL., NO. 175 SEC.2, AN-HO ROAD
TAIPEI 106 TAIWAN
Tel. (886 2) 2736-8151
Fax. (886 2) 2738-6491
E-mail: dixon@dixon.com.tw

For several weeks now, the shops in Kaohsiung have not stocked any 1/4" stereo or mono open jacks. Have you northerners noticed any changes in the availability of these critical effects-building components?

They still have knock off switchcraft-ish mono and stereo jacks in electronics shops in Taichung FWIW…

I like the “Moron” name, but you got some letters upside down.

Morning, ladies.

This weekend, I finally got round to re-boxing my homemade “Hornet” pedal from years ago. Here’s the result:

From this (crap photo, sorry)…

to this…

Instead of feel the sting, you could have put ‘me so hornety’.
But it looks very good anyway.

Damn! Could you please tell me these things in advance next time?

Can you make me an arpeggiator? Ta.

Don’t be silly! Those are illegal!

Don’t be silly! Those are illegal![/quote]Yeah? Well you put flangers on your woofers. I’m telling Stray Dog on you.

I might have a go at making a MIDI controller. Just something with big arcade buttons and some pots or faders. And something like this: leobodnar.com/products/BU0836X/ Which is actually a joystick controller, but it plugs straight into a USB socket and you can get software to convert those signals into MIDI data. I’ll have to look around the basements at Bade road.

And a big plastic box to build it in. Stu, what would I need to cut the holes in the box? There is a cheap manual tool I can use? If I need something more heavy duty, can you drill into my box with your huge tool?

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]I might have a go at making a MIDI controller. Just something with big arcade buttons and some pots or faders. And something like this: leobodnar.com/products/BU0836X/ Which is actually a joystick controller, but it plugs straight into a USB socket and you can get software to convert those signals into MIDI data. I’ll have to look around the basements at Bade road.

And a big plastic box to build it in. Stu, what would I need to cut the holes in the box? There is a cheap manual tool I can use? If I need something more heavy duty, can you drill into my box with your huge tool?[/quote]

Round holes or square holes? Round holes are easy, square not so much.

Since it’s plastic, you could start a hole with one of those Swiss Army Knife hoof picks (or whatever they’re called). You could then get one of these to enlarge it to any size:

It’s called a tapered [color=#FF0080]
REAMER
[/color]. You can get them in that B1 shop at the corner of Bade and Xinsheng. I think mine cost NT$450. A really good investment if you ask me.

You are, of course, welcome to come round and handle my tools anytime though.

[quote=“irishstu”]I need to get a die-cast aluminium enclosure, just like this: hammondmfg.com/pdf/1590BB.pdf

I don’t care about the brand, but the dimensions have to be the same (and the material).

Any ideas? I’ve been round a fair few shops near Taipei Main.

Thanks.[/quote]

FYI, “E-street” in Kaohsiung has these. $120 clams each, or so. Let me know if you have a future need.

how to drill square holes - there is a bit for this but you need a hefty drill press.
upper.us.edu/faculty/smith/reuleaux.htm

Hey fellas. It was a friend’s 44th birthday at the weekend, so I decided to make a pedal for him.

I’d been wanting to try out a Brian May treble booster based pedal for a while, and I found this one at 147pedals.blogspot.com/2010/11/s … reble.html.

I can verify that it is a very simple circuit to build and works extremely well. In fact I think I may well build one for myself too.

Here’s the end result. I didn’t really bother to spend much time on the enclosure, sorry.

I am looking at making a midi thru box.

Will probably purchase this:
lowgain-audio.com/midithru.htm

But, I’d need a box. Anyone know where I can find one - light and cheap?