Maleic Anhydride-Modified Starch Found in Some Food Items

This food scandal started a couple of weeks ago, I guess.

The individuals responsible had better be careful. If they get brought to justice, some overzealous judge might publicly reprimand them and order them to pay a $20,000 fine.

Why did it take this long again.
It’s not Maleic Anhydride only.

1. August 2012 14:36 Modegetränk Bubble Tea
    Chemiker finden Spuren giftiger Stoffe
    http://www.sueddeutsche.de/wissen/modegetraenk-bubble-tea-chemiker-finden-spuren-giftiger-stoffe-1.1448217

Here is an English translation.
http://chrisduggleby.com/news-from-the-alpine-press/bubble-tea-german-scientists-claim-to-have-found-traces-of-carcinogenic-chemicals/

Abolish death penalty in Taiwan!
This way there is a chance that someone very affected by this and very angry will take care of it.
Not just two years in prison.

Wait, the link is about the Taiwan-inspired bubble tea as being sold in Germany, which is, according to my research (as wife wanted to go into that business) often made of some ingredients of Vietnamese or undisclosed background (I found such commercial offerings, i.e. Bubble Tea instant powder). The German version of this tea is very sweet and strongly colored and has not much in common with the real bubble tea here. There is German journalist’s blog writing about this.
Also, they finally had to admit not to have found poison in the German bubble tea. So one should just ignore this German “Oh my God we drink something from Asia - it must be piosion” hysteria.

More recalls:

Certain Cold stone flavors of ice cream, President’s pudding.

cna.com.tw/Topic/Popular/373 … 022-1.aspx

Singapore is taking action to protect their people from the taiwan products.

Is taiwan doing anything like forcing the companies to remove the products? All the smaller shops will continue to use the products regardless as they don’t want to take a loss by throwing the supply away. Just another reason to be cautious about taiwan produced products in general. Seems like their is continuously some problem in the food supply and many times not just relegated to one product or brand but across the board.

asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNe … 26362.html

I say this as I received my order of tapioca from a small shop and wondering if they threw all the bad stuff out, or keep using it because they can’t afford to waste it.

You got it in one. They won’t throw stuff out if they will lose money on the purchase.

[quote=“tango42”]Singapore is taking action to protect their people from the taiwan products.

Is taiwan doing anything like forcing the companies to remove the products? All the smaller shops will continue to use the products regardless as they don’t want to take a loss by throwing the supply away. Just another reason to be cautious about taiwan produced products in general. Seems like their is continuously some problem in the food supply and many times not just relegated to one product or brand but across the board.

asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNe … 26362.html

I say this as I received my order of tapioca from a small shop and wondering if they threw all the bad stuff out, or keep using it because they can’t afford to waste it.[/quote]

Well, the problem with removing is that most of it has already been eaten… Imei and Uni President did issue a recall. The rest? We hope so.

Just after this news broke, we noticed a street vendor selling his wares like it was going out of style (which it was). Don’t know the name, it’s those semi-translucent, gelatinous, chewy, doughy, starchy thingies with some meat and vegetables in the middle. He was selling them super cheap, and there was a crowd buying. We asked him if it was made with the industrial starch and he said no. Since street vendors are by nature decent and honest, we bought ten.

Oh, and a few weeks ago, I was showing a visitor the usual must-sees, which included taking him to a night market. We each got a watermelon juice drink from one of the vendors. Later, my guest shared with me his discovery when he removed the dome lid to get at the last of the tasty drink…the cup had been recycled! He saw the rim still had remnants of the cover tea shops use those machines to seal their cups with. Ingenious. :bravo: