Males preferring male company

This thread got all “Metro-Sexual” too damn fast.

[quote=“X3M”]
Bodo,
How many wives of so-so succesful men du you know?
What do you know about their chatting after the “I am perfect barrier is broken”?
Neither of these women claim they can swim, but all their husbands do…!!![/quote]

I don’t know where you’re going with these questions . . . have you been drinking? In fact, I don’t understand your questions at all. I’d be willing to answer them, but first you need to clarify what you mean.

Bodo

Well . . . you’re probably right, you’re a grumpy old bastard (your words) :wink: . Actually, I disagree with you. Women LOVE one another’s company . . . and I would assert that we enjoy our girl time MORE than guys enjoy their guy time.

Just curious about what you’re basing your statements upon:
“Men are expected to spend . . . their freetime with their women”
“a big change from before”
“women are happier with this” :astonished:

Tell me what it was like before, please. And, are we talking about NZ or Australia or the West in general? What women have you asked about these assertions you’re making?

Bodo

Exactly. You are talking about Taiwanese women…but the foreign women are usually hanging out with the guys, and the guys seem to enjoy it.

Last weekend, a group of friends asked my husband and I to join them for a weekend in the mountains. I had this vision of all the Taiwanese girls segregated together, the guys together in another group, etc. and I lost interest, as I have had this experience more times than I care to remember. When I told my husband how I felt (oh god no, not another one of those segregated trips where I feel like I’m in the middle, not interested at ALL in chatting with the Taiwanese girls, but feeling funny about haning out with the guys as the only girl when the wives/girlfriends aren’t a part of the conversation) my husband informed me that none of the Taiwanese gals were invited…it was a guys weekend away, but the foreign girls were welcome…hmmmm? The people who asked us to go along specifically asked me to come along, because I am part of their “group.”

My husband and I give each other plenty of space, don’t get me wrong. We have our own interests, independent of one another…and we spend time apart. We both realize that we need time away to spend with people of our own gender. But, I always feel like it’s so messed up when the guys want to purposely spend a weekend away from their Taiwanese SOs, but the foreign girls are welcome…

You see this all of the time in Taiwan. Hell, I know a few guys here that I didn’t even know were married, after seeing them for years at sports events and in the pubs, on their own.

If I were a single male here, I would rather remain single if my options involved marrying my choice of shopping xiojies who I didn’t enjoy spending my free time with!

Sorry for being cynical, I just simply don’t understand it…never have… and never will…

Oh, you’re a grumpy old bastard, sure enough. And Thank Christ for that!
I actually don’t mind spending free time with my woman. My woman. I like the sound of that. My WOman. WOMAN. WOMAN!
As long as it’s for something we both like or need to do (shopping doesn’t make the cut and in any case, the feeling’s mutual. She’d sooner have root canal without novocaine than have me trailing along behind her round the shops, I’m sure).
It’s the same for her too with my manly pursuits. Its all about give and take.

I also really enjoy the company of other women, too. They’re really a great deal of fun, once you get over their odd lumps and bumps. :wink:[/quote]
I’m with Sandman on this one. I love spending time with my woman. She’s my best friend, so when we’re not snogging, we do have stuff to talk about. I hate shopping though, so she knows better than to drag me along for that. And while she enjoys the company of my friends (they are now “our” friends), “her” friends don’t really have much to say to me at all, although I’ve been assured they think I’m swell. :idunno: Apart from those situations, I like sharing time with my wife. I imagine that at some point in our old age, we’ll be separated. Selfishly, I hope I go first, because I really wouldn’t know what to do with myself without her. :help:

Bodo wrote [quote]Just curious about what you’re basing your statements upon:
“women are happier with this” Shocked!

Tell me what it was like before, please. And, are we talking about NZ or Australia or the West in general? What women have you asked about these assertions you’re making? [/quote]
We are talking about Western culture in general.

How can you know so little history? Have you read any history books? Oral histories? 19th century novels? Early 20th century novels? Listened to or obersved grandfathers? Men did not spend much time conversing with women in generations past. I’ll give you one quick example and it relates to the UK and the Colonies as well: think of the traditional pub - it was a male domain, women not officially barred but unwelcome. Today men take their womenfolk.

[quote=“almas john”]Bodo wrote [quote]Just curious about what you’re basing your statements upon:
“women are happier with this” Shocked!

Tell me what it was like before, please. And, are we talking about NZ or Australia or the West in general? What women have you asked about these assertions you’re making? [/quote]
We are talking about Western culture in general.

How can you know so little history? Have you read any history books? Oral histories? 19th century novels? Early 20th century novels? Listened to or obersved grandfathers? Men did not spend much time conversing with women in generations past. I’ll give you one quick example and it relates to the UK and the Colonies as well: think of the traditional pub - it was a male domain, women not officially barred but unwelcome. Today men take their womenfolk.[/quote]

I was thinking along more contemporary lines, I guess. Yeah, you’re right about women being happier now. I sure as hell am not interested in going back to the “good ole days.” You know, when women and children were chattel, women didn’t have the vote, the only jobs available were either as a wife, governess or hooker, didn’t own their own stuff or their own salaries or inheritance. Yeah, I think I understand you better now, Almas. :astonished:

Bodo

So…any on you guys do any fishing here?

I’m thinking of some of the nice long jetties we have along the harbor here in Tainan.
Looks pretty good.
Whats the status on fishing licenses?
Do ya need 'em or are they ‘optional’?

River fishing’s a no-no. There’s a moratorium on it on account of they’re all fished out. (Unless you know where to go :wink:).
Sea fishing’s cool. No license needed. Just turn up and cast out.
What I’d like to see, though, is a charter boat deal for various manly (and womanly, of course) Forumosans.
There’s few things finer than a gorgeous day oot on the watter off the coast deep-sea fishing with a few Eskies full of ice and beer, a cutting board, knife, fresh wasabi and soy sauce.
Coast could be as little as a grand or two per head all in and the boat exclusively ours if we got enough people together. There’s charter hires working out of most of the small harbors on the north coast. I’m sure its the same all round Taiwan.

[quote=“sandman”]River fishing’s a no-no. There’s a moratorium on it on account of they’re all fished out. (Unless you know where to go :wink:).
Sea fishing’s cool. No license needed. Just turn up and cast out.
What I’d like to see, though, is a charter boat deal for various manly (and womanly, of course) Forumosans.
There’s few things finer than a gorgeous day oot on the watter off the coast deep-sea fishing with a few Eskies full of ice and beer, a cutting board, knife, fresh wasabi and soy sauce.
Coast could be as little as a grand or two per head all in and the boat exclusively ours if we got enough people together. There’s charter hires working out of most of the small harbors on the north coast. I’m sure its the same all round Taiwan.[/quote]Sandman -
Well this sounds ducky.
I can check a few contacts here n the Tainan aea and see if they have time from their busy schedule for a fishing trip.
This is exactly the sort of thing I had hoped this thread would generate.

Tainan Cowboy -

There’s always a big crowd of amateur fisherman out at Anping, either on a Sunday afternoon or most any weekday evening. Go to the very end of Anping Road and turn left at the big bridge, they fish off of that bridge. It’s sea fishing so no worries. Bit crowded on the bridge, though.

Sounds good. I love fishing even though I suck at it and I have discovered Gravol since the last time I got on a boat.

Ahem, your gender is also in question here . . . :laughing:

HG