Mamamia's: Great Italian Food in Taipei County

I would like to recommend a resturant in Shulin, Taipei County. While it may seem a bit far out, it is easily accesible by commuter train out of Taipei. It’s located behind the Shulin Train Station at 293 Fuxing Road, a ten minute walk, but you may want to take a taxi the first time to make sure you get there (the meter shouldn’t even move).

The restaurant is called Mama Mia and is run by a very taciturn, but friendly, Italian man named Vincenzo and his wife Hui Ling. They have been operating there for fifteen years now and have a loyal clientel. The menus include set dishes, pasta dishes and good oven-baked pizzas, including calzones. They make their own dough fresh everyday and the pizzas are the thin-crusted European variety. Recently they have added draft beers from a new Taiwan brewery experimenting with making Abbey-style Belgian beer. Not too bad and the prices are a fraction of those in Taipei for what is what I feel quite frankly superior food. If you are going to make a trip to Yingge or Sanxia, it’s worth stopping by for a bite. buon appetito

Their phone number 2681-6398 Open Tuesday to Sunday

Absolutely, I was there last weekend and I can just second what the OP says. The meat dishes were outstanding, and the pizza was great, too, except for that I personally like less cheese.

I don’t recommend to go there by car from Taipeh, since you have to go through all of Banchiao. If you do come from Taipeh, take the MRT to Yongning and take a taxi from there.

Rice-t can attest that I had the best steak I’ve had in probably 15 years at Mammamia’s last Saturday. The breaded scallops were also excellent. And the pizza.

Sounds like a good spot for the Valentine’s Day Meal.
Remember any prices?

I know Vincenzo personally very well, good guy and they make excellent food … for a nice price

Is this the place that’s up a little hill from the road?

Nope … it’s on Fuxing rd. in Shulin …

[quote=“Josefus”]Sounds like a good spot for the Valentine’s Day Meal.
Remember any prices?[/quote]

No, but the food is worth its price.

What are the walking directions from Yongning MRT station?

This fantastic news. The hiking club has been bummed since Belgian Pie closed up as our our hikes in Sanxia were always a big hit in part because we could get a great meal after a great hike. The days were as clsoe to perfect as you could get. Now it seems we have reason to rejoice again. Hip hip hurray. A steak after Wuliao Jian or Manyueyuan. Ah! Sweet joy. Happy joy.

Looking at the map I don’t think it is a good idea to walk there, mainly because you would have to walk over chenglin bridge. But you can have a look yourself at urmap.com/

起點 永寧
終點 樹林復興路293號

51/2 km by car, it says.

However, looking at the map again, it seems that the best way to go there would be by train.

Looking at the map I don’t think it is a good idea to walk there, mainly because you would have to walk over chenglin bridge. But you can have a look yourself at urmap.com/

起點 永寧
終點 樹林復興路293號

51/2 km by car, it says.

However, looking at the map again, it seems that the best way to go there would be by train.[/quote]

Train is the best way to go … 5-10 minutes from the station depending on how drunk you are …

I was just thinking damn I want a steak what’s a good reason to get down there. A hike is perfect. When were you thinking of heading out there ?