Man gets nine years for spamming

I read that and thought “Wow, that’s a lot of prison time for sending out annoying emails, even if you send 10 million of them per day like this guy apparently did.” After reading the article, I would guess that the sentence was a result of massive fraud that the guy committed, and not just the spamming.

I wonder what the appropriate jail term would be for someone who was just sending the spam messages, and not selling fake products online as well? (Maybe the point is that nobody really does that – what would be the point?)

Hobbes,

to be honest, even if it was only for spamming then i think the miserable sod got off lightly.

Anyone that spams or writes viruses etc should get given life with no chance of parole and denied access to any computer system in perpetuity.

Perhaps then we could all surf the net without living in fear of when pc’s are going to crash or having to invest time and money in mutliple anti virus, adware, etc etc etc programs.

1 year for just spamming.
9 years for fraud.
And the death penalty if any of it reaches my inboxes.

[quote=“Hobbes”]

I read that and thought “Wow, that’s a lot of prison time for sending out annoying emails, even if you send 10 million of them per day like this guy apparently did.” After reading the article, I would guess that the sentence was a result of massive fraud that the guy committed, and not just the spamming.

I wonder what the appropriate jail term would be for someone who was just sending the spam messages, and not selling fake products online as well? (Maybe the point is that nobody really does that – what would be the point?)[/quote]

9 years is a good stiff sentence, but for him it’s definitely not excessive as he was listed by the reputable Spamhaus organization as the world’s 8th most prolific spammer. According to your article, he pulled in US$24 million in sales using a stolen database of 84 million AOL e-mail addresses. I suspect he actually earned far more than that. For example, I read elswhere that in one month he received orders totalling almost $400,000 for fraudulent sales of a phony “FedEx refund processor” that was supposedly capable of earning people good money working from home.

Even if spammers didn’t commit fraud (which would be an incredibly rare exception, particularly with regard to the forging of header and routing info), people like the above criminal, who send billions of spam e-mails in violation of numerous state and federal laws, cause immense damages to countless people and entities.

In 2003, AOL reported blocking 2.4 billion spam e-mails per day, or 80 percent of all e-mails it received. In 2004, Microsoft blocked 3 billion spam messages per day aimed at Hotmail inboxes; spam-filtering company, FrontBridge Technologies, reported that 90% of the 3 billion messages it processes daily are spam; and the Radicati Group, an e-mail research company, estimated total spam volume on the Internet amounts to 35 billion messages per day.

This massive volume of spam is more than a mere annoyance; it results in enormous costs, consuming network bandwidth, computer memory and storage capacity, slowing data transfer speeds, clogging inboxes, delaying and preventing receipt of legitimate messages and resulting in enormous expenditures of time and money.

Recipients spend considerable time identifying, managing and deleting unwanted messages. Those who pay for the Internet based on time-spent end up paying for time spent managing spam. Many e-mail users are forced to spend time and money installing and maintaining filters or other

[quote=“Hobbes”]

I read that and thought “Wow, that’s a lot of prison time for sending out annoying emails, even if you send 10 million of them per day like this guy apparently did.”[/quote]
I read that and said “Man, he’s getting off light.”

They should bring back burning at the stake. Let the punishment fit the crime, I say. :fume:

Burning at the stake would be too good for this guy. I would hope for something that lasted at least two weeks, as slow, painful and humiliating as possible. I have more respect for pedophiles and drug dealers than I do for spammers.

Peadophiles are the lowest of the low. But this spam man deserves to be punished - like you say, along, slow painful death.

Pop- ups annoy me. Every time I get online, I get pop ups. Companies (?) that send pop-ups should be torched to the ground.

I’ll do it for free.

You needn’t suffer that aggravation. I’m definitely not an expert (wait till jlick joins this discussion if you want expert advice) but I believe you can easily solve your problem by using one or more of the following remedies, most of which are free:

• purchase pop-up blocker software
  • download free pop-up blocker software (see shareware.com/)
  • download free anti-spyware program such as ad-aware
    (download.com/3000-2144-10045 … tag=button)
  • install the google or yahoo anti-popup toolbar
  • install Windows XP Servicepack II and use the IE popup blocker
  • switch to Firefox instead of IE

Since I began using safer computing practices such as some of the above a while back, I no longer receive pop-ups. :slight_smile:

I find it light as well…how many millions of dollars and thousands of work hours are lost because these fuckers virus up PCs around the world?

I have a pop up blocker on my new asus…it works, but I have no idea what it is. :slight_smile:

Get Firefox (and, optionally, the Adblock extension for Firefox).
For spam, try Thunderbird - email client with integrated spam filter. With Thunderbird, I haven’t read a spam message in months. Could you send me some? :smiley:

I just want whoever is sending that spam about the multi-million dollar account transfer thing caught. I’m so freaking sick of that scam!
:fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume:

I think 9 years is fine. What is needed is more convictions.