Mandarin and English requirement for English Teachers

Should TW gov’t establish Mandarin & English language proficiency guidelines for skilled foreign workers?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

In order to increase the quality of the workforce in Taiwan, to enhance the transfer of new skills and knowledge, and to increase diversity in the workplace, should the Taiwan government establish Mandarin and English proficiency requirements (applicable to both private and public sectors) for teachers and skilled foreign workers ?

What are your thoughts?

[update]
One premise is whether foreign teachers and skilled workers must possess a minimum proficiency in mandarin so they can communicate with the local population (the majarity of whom do not speak english) at and outside of work. And also to minimize miscommunication and misunderstanding between Taiwanese and Foreigners due to differences in culture, values, customs, and language barriers.

[quote=“jasonlin”]In order to increase the quality of the workforce in Taiwan, to enhance the transfer of new skills and knowledge, and to increase diversity in the workplace, should the Taiwan government establish Mandarin and English proficiency requirements (applicable to both private and public sectors) for teachers and skilled foreign workers ?

What are your thoughts?[/quote]

I don’t understand your premise.

how should this apply to private sector english teaching? my school dont permit any mandarin at all to be spoken in classes, breaktimes, etc. they communicate with me in english at the administrative level , even though they know i have a basic/fair grasp of mandarin. its the way that they want to do it. however, i cant identify with those who come here without the interest to learn the language and try to communicate in it, like the guy at my school who has been in taiwan for 4 years and can’t even count. there are so many of these people, it is ridiculous.

Is this poll related to some legislation that’s currently underway?

[quote=“hexuan”][quote=“jasonlin”]In order to increase the quality of the workforce in Taiwan, to enhance the transfer of new skills and knowledge, and to increase diversity in the workplace, should the Taiwan government establish Mandarin and English proficiency requirements (applicable to both private and public sectors) for teachers and skilled foreign workers ?
[/quote]

I don’t understand your premise.[/quote]

One premise is whether foreign teachers and skilled workers must possess a minimum proficiency in mandarin so they can communicate with the local population (the majarity of whom do not speak english) at and outside of work. And also to minimize miscommunication and misunderstanding between Taiwanese and Foreigners due to differences in culture, values, customs, and language barriers.

[quote=“jasonlin”]
One premise is whether foreign teachers and skilled workers must possess a minimum proficiency in mandarin so they can communicate with the local population (the majarity of whom do not speak english) at and outside of work. And also to minimize miscommunication and misunderstanding between Taiwanese and Foreigners due to differences in culture, values, customs, and language barriers.[/quote]

That’s “majority”. :laughing:

yes is it. I’m sorry I inadvertently spelled majority “majarity.” I hope that doesn’t detract you from the discussion.

voted yes but after reading post should be a no. I think there should be guidelines for many jobs where learning Mandarin is a requirement but to expect a foreign person to already have even a basic understanding of the language woul be expecting to much.

Learning the language here is difficult. Learning it in a country where virtually no-one speaks the language and not being exposed to it in daily life situations would be not very practical. Lets remember that school children here do 4 hrs of english a week for years and leave with less than a basic knowledge of the language so how long would it take for us foreigners to reach an ‘acceptable’ level learning outside of a Mandarin speaking area.

Or do you propose we should to come here and take classes
for a certain amount of time before we can apply for a job. All this time having no income but having to pay for language classes.

[quote=“jasonlin”]

One premise is whether foreign teachers and skilled workers must possess a minimum proficiency in mandarin so they can communicate with the local population (the majarity of whom do not speak english) at and outside of work. And also to minimize miscommunication and misunderstanding between Taiwanese and Foreigners due to differences in culture, values, customs, and language barriers.[/quote]

So is your idea that these proficiency exams would also be required for Taiwanese citizens in positions where fluency in both languages is required? Or, as the poll title implies, that only foreigners should be subjected to such exams?

only foreign skilled workers applying for work visas in Tw

Jason,

You speak both Mandarin and English fluently, right?

And you still can’t find a job?

It’s not the system that needs a rethink–it’s you that needs one, and quickly.

[quote=“Alleycat”]Jason,

It’s not the system but you who needs a rethink.[/quote]

Shhhhh! It’s a foreign conspiracy! :laughing:

[quote=“Alleycat”]Jason,

It’s not the system that needs a rethink–it’s you that needs one, and quickly.[/quote]

I have a job. I don’t want foreigners to take jobs away from hardworking Taiwanese who are less fortunate than me (being able to study overseas). Unlike foreigners in Taiwan who only look after their own economic interests, I am trying to change the Taiwanese society. I want Taiwanese to be in charge of their destiny and country (They don’t now because they’re too scared to die for a chance to become independent). I want to rectify all the injustices Taiwanese have suffered under the KMT regime. That’s my goal. And I want to contribute my skills to enact legislations that will protect Taiwanese. That’s why I came here to debate all of you regarding MOE’s decision.

No, I don’t think language proficiency tests are essential. Assessment, if necessary, will be job-dependent and should be conducted during the hiring process.

Is this the second coming?

Protect the Taiwanese from what, economic exploitation by English teachers?

LOL

You, my friend, are a card.

Earlier you objected to the use of “Chinese.” How do you define “Taiwanese?”

BWAHAHAHAHA! Jason, this is great!!! Do you write your own material? Look, maybe you can get your own TV show! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

[quote=“Alleycat”]Is this the second coming?

Protect the Taiwanese from what, economic exploitation by English teachers?

LOL

You, my friend, are a card.[/quote]

Protect Taiwanese from discriminatory laws enacted by the government.

Jason, Jason, Jason,

or is that Don Quixote?

What can I say? You are so far gone that there is no hope for you. Carry on tilting at windmills.

Earlier you objected to the use of “Chinese.” How do you define “Taiwanese?”[/quote]

People who want to get ride of ROC and establish the Republic of Taiwan.