Mandarin and English requirement for English Teachers

Earlier you objected to the use of “Chinese.” How do you define “Taiwanese?”[/quote]

People who want to get ride of ROC and establish the Republic of Taiwan.[/quote]

Hey, I’m all for that, although I don’t like the new acronym too much. Do I qualify?

Slow down there, as now you’re not making any sense.

Dont trouble yourself. Taiwan independence doesn’t concern foreigners anyways, it is entirely up to the people of Taiwan. So lets get back to the topic.

The public gets what the public demands. Consumer demand generates the need for native English speakers, it wouldn’t be good to give the people something that they don’t want.

Perhaps your focus should move away from placing the blame on the MOE and put the blame where it really lies, on the people who create the demand.

Ok, if Taiwanese can compete then give them a shot at the job, but there will always be a native speaker who will pip them at the post. That is just the cold reality of the situation.

So, can the Taiwanese people really be blamed for creating a demand for native English speakers?
I think NOT
Damn it - I hit the button for the wrong bickering thread. That’s the last time I leave 2 windows open at the same time. Could a mod. please move this to the appropriate thread where Jason lin is calling the MOE names.

Then at least they will know what they have to do to get those jobs (or realize why they are not suitable for those positions) and not foreclose the opportunity simply because they don’t happen to hold another passport.

Dont trouble yourself. Taiwan independence doesn’t concern foreigners anyways, it is entirely up to the people of Taiwan. So lets get back to the topic.[/quote]

That seems to be a different answer than you gave above, ie, that Taiwanese are people who want to get rid of the ROC and establish the ROT. And this line of questions is on-topic, because I’d also like to know how you define “foreigners.” My kids were both born in Taiwan but really have no opinion regarding ROC vs ROT. Are they foreigners or Taiwanese?

Look start thinking a bit before you write Jason. We have many other interests other than just economic interests. We are not only interested in money. We are also interested in booze, drugs, taking advantage of naive Taiwanese girls. Have you not read any other threads?

[quote=“jasonlin”]
I want Taiwanese to be in charge of their destiny and country (They don’t now because they’re too scared to die for a chance to become independent). I want to rectify all the injustices Taiwanese have suffered under the KMT regime. That’s my goal. And I want to contribute my skills to enact legislations that will protect Taiwanese. [/quote]

So you want the government to tell Taiwanese who they should and shouldn’t hire for their business? Next you’ll want to change their diapers for them.

By the way, this is a discussion board, we live here in Taiwan, anything that happens here concerns us and in many cases our immediate and extended families. If I want to discuss Taiwan independence or anything else I damn, well, will.

Dont trouble yourself. Taiwan independence doesn’t concern foreigners anyways, it is entirely up to the people of Taiwan. So lets get back to the topic.[/quote]

That seems to be a different answer than you gave above, ie, that Taiwanese are people who want to get rid of the ROC and establish the ROT. And this line of questions is on-topic, because I’d also like to know how you define “foreigners.” My kids were both born in Taiwan but really have no opinion regarding ROC vs ROT. Are they foreigners or Taiwanese?[/quote]

Taiwanese are people (currently citizens of ROC) who want to band together to establish ROT. Foreigners are non-citizens. That’s just my definition. You are free to call yourself or your kids whatever you want – the decision is yours and theirs.

Because I am white and not a Taiwanese citizen, my children do not have a right to Taiwan passports, regardless of their place of birth. You, being born in Taiwan or at least of Taiweanese parents, can be both a foreigner and Taiwanese.

[quote=“jasonlin”]
Taiwanese are people (currently citizens of ROC) who want to band together to establish ROT. Foreigners are non-citizens. That’s just my definition. You are free to call yourself or your kids whatever you want – the decision is yours and theirs.[/quote]

That’s all very nice Jason. Just remember, in the event Taiwan DOES declare independence, it’ll be the American governmnet and people who decide whether or not Taiwan is still independent 24 hours after said declaration. :unamused:

[quote=“jeff”]
Because I am white and not a Taiwanese citizen, my children do not have a right to Taiwan passports, regardless of their place of birth. You, being born in Taiwan or at least of Taiweanese parents, can be both a foreigner and Taiwanese.[/quote]

That’s not racism…it’s just that Taiwan has a different culture! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

[quote=“blueface666”][quote=“jasonlin”]
Taiwanese are people (currently citizens of ROC) who want to band together to establish ROT. Foreigners are non-citizens. That’s just my definition. You are free to call yourself or your kids whatever you want – the decision is yours and theirs.[/quote]

That’s all very nice Jason. Just remember, in the event Taiwan DOES declare independence, it’ll be the American governmnet and people who decide whether or not Taiwan is still independent 24 hours after said declaration. :unamused:[/quote]

That is what I intend to change. Taiwan’s future will not be dictated by US’ national interest.

Fer crisakes, Jason, do you propose that in addition to those native-English speakers who are teaching Taiwanese to speak better English in order to get ahead in the world, Taiwan should also expel all the foreign engineers who are helping to improve Taiwan’s infrastructure, and the Filipina and Indonesian housekeepers and nannies and the Thai construction workers? What a brilliant idea. Why don’t you burn the books and smash the temples too?

Because I am white and not a Taiwanese citizen, my children do not have a right to Taiwan passports, regardless of their place of birth. You, being born in Taiwan or at least of Taiweanese parents, can be both a foreigner and Taiwanese.[/quote]

Wasn’t the legislation passed under KMT regime? Isn’t the legislature still controlled by the KMT?

If Taiwan has to do that to attract more quality people, then yes.

Note: If you read the first post, I said skilled foreign workers (it doesn’t apply to houskeepers, nannies, construction workers)

You of course know who is the quality person and who is not better than the people who have to hire them.

To attract “more quality people,” more financial incentive would be needed. Simple economics, no?

It follows then, according to your argument, that the Taiwanese government, which is already being exploited by"overpaid" English teachers, would be even more susceptible to the greed of foreigners.

Dumbass

[quote=“daltongang”][quote=“jasonlin”]
If Taiwan has to do that to attract more quality people, then yes.

[/quote]

You of course know who is the quality person and who is not better than the people who have to hire them.[/quote]

Did I ever say I know? This is only designed to ensure skilled foreign workers possess the basic communication skills nessary to communicate with the locals (who do not speak a word of English).

Even better… Let’s send all the unskilled Taiwanese to the mainland. This way, Taiwan will quickly become the most skilled country in the world.

I would suggest that the exams should focus on:

1. English skills.
  2. Sun Yatsen’s 3 principles of the people.
  3. Betel nut chewing.

Only people excelling in all tree disciplines should be allowed to stay.