Mandarin mastery poll. choose 2

MTC is great and I’ll credit two semesters of their intensive course for making me functionally literate. But yeah, it’s not the cheapest option. I think for someone in the intermediate-ish zone we’re in, the most effective thing to do is find a dedicated tutor to help you with exactly what you need. But those are hard to find…I’m still looking.

In the meantime I try to improve the same way I improved my English - by reading, a lot.

Why do you guys speak such rubbish Chinese when foreigners on TRASH variety shows speak so well?

So neither is your native language?

Hey @Gain do you wanna be my tutor? I’m looking for somebody with a literature background!

Sorry but I’m not in the position of tutoring now.

Besides, I’ve forgotten most of the literature stuff. Maybe you can try signing up for something?

They really are pretty impressive sometimes. But I get stage fright.

Nobody likes us or wants to talk to us. Our sausages and what we do with them are of no interest to anybody. Sad face.

I can actually hold a fairly complex conversation if forced into it (ie., the other person speaks no English at all). However it’s like having my teeth pulled. Just boils down to severe lack of practice.

They make a career out of it. If speaking Chinese is not part of your day job the learning progress is really slow.

English is. But being able to say exactly what I want to say how I want to say it spur of the moment was the last thing to come to me. I’m not much of a talker irl…

WTO姐妹會 and 2分之一強 gave me an impression that most foreigners spoke near-perfect level of Mandarin. Apparently that’s not the case.

And some of them are actually students, which makes it all the more impressive as they would have only learned it for a few years, basically.They make almost no mistakes. I also have a friend from America who used to do TEFL here and he spoke pretty fluently even though he had only been studying/working in Taiwan for like 2-3 years at most.

If you are a full time student, two years of study at Taida (for example) will get you quite far. What’s more difficult is working a day job and learning it on the side, especially if your job does not require you to speak Chinese.

Poll doesn’t really differentiate between spoken and written. “Mandarin” usually refers to spoken, and there are Millions of native level Mandarin speakers that cannot read at all, or that read and write with limited proficiency. In fact in some areas, a couple of generations back, it was unusual to be literate and to be able to write anything beyond family names. So then the only option for these millions of people is to tick the ‘conversational’ box, in their native language?

It would be clearer if it had a poll for spoken Mandarin. And then another poll for written Chinese. Its a little like the age poll in that it heavily reflects the concerns of the pollster (not that there is necessarily anything wrong with that, but it is what it is, and there is no box for many people in there)

I think it just comes more easily to some people. I bet I could be a lot better if I wasn’t so up my own ass about sounding as correct as possible.

Well if your Chinese is rubbish you probably won’t be allowed to go on TV.

I think it would be really funny. “Today we have Tim Budong who’s going to look a bit gormless for the next 60 minutes”.

Good girl.

Heck that could describe me using English, never mind Chinese. (See “bit of a hermit”, above.)

Yeah, would be way more realistic but would also make for bad TV.

And probably in bad Chinese too. :grin:

I’m certain of it :see_no_evil:

That’s something I aspire to.
Learning Chinese to such a high level that I, too, can appear on the Taiwanese equivalent of the Jerry Springer show.