Mandarin Schools

Hi all, I would like to goto Taiwan for one year to learn Mandarin. I have applied to the National Chengchi University in Teipei but would like to have a backup school in case I am not accepted for some reason. Can anyone recommend a few schools I can apply to? I have also found two additional schools, one in Teipei (studyabroadinternational.com … chung.html). Does anyone know anything about these schools and about their reputation? Any input would be very welcome. Also, any advise for going to Taiwan and studying would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Don’t worry if you can pass the ‘health check’* and pay the fees you’ll be accepted.

If you want to see what people think about the different language programmes just use the search function at the top of the screen. It`s been discussed many times before, I think. If you don’t find what you need, come back and ask.

*(don’t get me started on that one)

Hi Kategelan, Thanks I’ll do what you what you suggest.

Hi!
I study at Wen Hua Da Xue 文化大學. i pay only 16000NT and groups are small about 5 people.So it is almost like private lessons. The school is ok, but the office is typical Taiwanese , where know only what is written in not very actual help book for students.

i have just started studying at tunghai in taizhong. tuition is a bit more pricy ($28,000NT for 4 months) but class size is small (under 5), materials are well-organized, and staff is very friendly and helpful. in addition, the campus is quite nice and up on a hill somewhat away from the city smog.

I studied at NTNU this summer and I didn’t think it was too bad, but a big problem is the fact that classes are only 2 hours a day. The classes aren’t too expensive though.

Chengchi should be ok, it’s a sister school to my University (University of Michigan) here, so I assume their program is pretty good since there seems to be high quailty education standards here.

As for Taichung – I love that city, but I’ve never heard of that school. Though its less convenient in Taichung, it’s a great place to live. It’s more laid back than Taipei.

I studied at Chengung Da4Xue2 in Tainan, and now study at Ci Ji (usually misspelled Tzu Chi) Da4Xue2 in Hualien. IMHO, all of the government-sponsored, university programs are very much the same. They all use that same book (Audio Visual) with its bad English for grammar explanations. They are all based on the ShiDa, Taipei model. They even say some of the exact same phrases, such as “First Do, First Say” in English to explain Chinese grammar. Anybody figured out that one yet?

I do like my classes here at Ci Ji much, much better, simply because the pace is much more realistic. (Although none of the Taiwanese teachers on Taiwan do enough repetition or practice for me.) In the Chengung beginners level, they tended to just whiz right on through, regardless of how many people could no longer keep up or understand a word. Plus, nothing beats the scenic location of Hualien. But then, that is your preference. If you need big city living, any of the Taipei area universities are about the same.

If you are interested in the CiJi/Tzu Chi program in Hualien, the Website is: www.tcu.edu

Best of luck.

Sorry, I forgot the .tw

Try: www.tcu.edu.tw

or:
language.tcu.edu.tw/english/index.htm

For the Chinese Language Center

[quote=“alwayslol”]Sorry, I forgot the .tw

Try: tcu.edu.tw

or:
language.tcu.edu.tw/english/index.htm

For the Chinese Language Center[/quote]

(Added 5 years later:)