Mandela's son dies of AIDS

Hopefully, this will push Mbeki to deal with the Aids crisis in South Africa more aggressively.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4151159.stm

A horrible end…

One thing I wonder about is how come that AIDS is endemic in Africa, but that it has failed to break out into the general population in the rest of the world?

It seems to be so huge in Africa, but in the rest of the world… confined to gays, intravenous drug users, and prostitutes.

After all, you have tonnes of unprotected sex here in the far east, and in Europe as well… And AIDs still seems to be confined.

What accusations you make Chewy!

Mbeki has fought tirelessly against Aids. It’s just that, unlike certain people on this board, he understands that Aids is not caused by HIV (and certainly is not spread by sexual contact), but rather by racism.

Read this article and witness the passion with which he attacks the racism that causes Aids:

[quote]The president was asked about his silence on a pandemic which infects 5.6 million South Africans, more than in any other country, and replied that the real issue was prejudice, which endured a decade after apartheid.

“I will not keep quiet while others whose minds have been corrupted by the disease of racism accuse us, the black people of South Africa, Africa and the world, as being, by virtue of our Africanness and skin colour, lazy, liars, foul-smelling, diseased, corrupt, violent, amoral, sexually depraved, animalistic, savage and rapist.”

Using language which disconcerted some of his own supporters, Mr Mbeki said certain white people regarded black people as “rampant sexual beasts, unable to control our urges, unable to keep our legs crossed, unable to keep it in our pants.”

Since succeeding Nelson Mandela as president in 1999 Mr Mbeki has queried the connection between HIV and Aids and the safety of anti-retroviral drugs, citing research by dissident scientists who have suggested that the disease is not transmitted by sexual contact. [/quote]

And lest you think that Mr. Mbeki’s fight against the racism that causes Aids is not supported by rational logical reasoning, you can also check out this piece, in which he proves that HIV cannot be the cause of Aids:

[quote]South African President Thabo Mbeki stuck to his guns on AIDS on Wednesday, telling parliament that the Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) could not cause a syndrome and so could not on its own cause AIDS.
Noting that AIDS stands for Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome, he declared: “A virus cannot cause a syndrome. A virus can cause a disease, and AIDS is not a disease, it is a syndrome.”[/quote]

Unfortunately for South Africa, Mbeki’s fight against Aids will doubtless continue to be plagued by racist scientists and doctors like these 5000, who wrote Mbeki a letter trying to convince him of their crackpot theory that HIV and sexual contact are linked to Aids. :loco:

Is this a joke, hobbes?

now, how come that AIDS is rampant in africa, but has failed to break out in other places?

Why has AIDS broke out in Africa, but no where else:

1. Dry Sex(google it)

2. Rape

3. Countless wars

4. Lack of educational oppurtunities for women and people in general

5: Bad government

1. Break down of family

2. Poverty(Rich older men are more likely to have more (younger) partners and have a higher likelihood of passing it on to their partners than partners of the same age)

3. Superstition

Hope this helps answer your question,
Okami

The reason to that I am so curious is that I know a Danish girl, who 15 years ago had a boyfriend, who later turned out to be bisexual.

He was HIV positive when he knew her, and they had unprotected sex on a regular basis for more than a year.

She did not get infected, in other words she has HIV positive sperm squirted into her vagina a few hundred times and lived to tell the tale.

She got her AIDS test back when it took 6 weeks to get a result, as the samples had to be sent to the US. It came back negative. Mut have been the worst 6 weeks of her life.

geez…TMI! :astonished:

OK I was too graphic, but that’s basically what happened.

[quote=“Mr He”]A horrible end…

One thing I wonder about is how come that AIDS is endemic in Africa, but that it has failed to break out into the general population in the rest of the world?

It seems to be so huge in Africa, but in the rest of the world… confined to gays, intravenous drug users, and prostitutes.

After all, you have tonnes of unprotected sex here in the far east, and in Europe as well… And AIDs still seems to be confined.[/quote]

Your information sounds, at best, ignorant of who have made up the group with the greatest leap in infection rates in North America for the last 10 years or more (heterosexual women).

At worst, it sounds…

From what I understand there is a reason for the jump in AIDS in heterosexual women and that is that they have been infected FIRST with syphillis which causes much internal bleeding and THEN they become infected with HIV.

And i should have added… Or female sex partners of those groups.

What I meant was that the HIV virus in general would appear to remain confined to those groups or people in intimate sexual contact to those groups.

Through 2003, of all US HIV infections, 440,887 came from male-to-male sexual contact. 246,546 came from injection drug use. 62,418 came from male-to-male sexual contact and injection drug use. 149,989 came from heterosexual contact (93,000 of which cases were females getting infected - or 10% of all infection cases). Other (perinatal, blood transfusion, hemophilia and not reported risks) made up 20,726 cases.

In 2003, females infected by heterosexual contact made up 19% of the total number of infected.

68% of all HIV infections were either caused by (presumably unprotected) male-to-male sex or intrevenous drug use.

Go here for more:

cdc.gov/hiv/stats.htm#aidsage

I’m not sure about this, but it has never stopped me posting on any subject before.

Because of the prevalance of smallpox or plague in Europe many Europeans are immune to AIDS infection. I don’t know if this is actually true, however I believe there is something to it.

It is said that for the same reason there is a relatively low incidence of AIDS in the Phillipines.

Smallpox and AIDS immunity link

This is weird. On Wednesday night, after spending way too much time on Forumosa, I had a dream…
I was at the Forumosa Happy Hour in Alleycat’s, and some dude came running down the stairs and said that Mandela had died. Various other stuff also happened, but I won’t go into that.
Quite freaky to log on tonight and see Mandela’s name.
But quite relieved that he is still alive, even though I feel very sorry that he has had to mourn so many friends and family members in his life.

If you grow to be very old, you will also get to mourn a few…

My grandmother is 100, and she has had to mourn her husband, her daughter in law, her brothers and sisters, and nearly all her friends.