Mango and Absolute Vodka

Mango and Absolute:
I ran across the new Mango flavored Absolute at a KEGS store. Decided to try it out.
Chopped some refrigerated mango from my fridge and filled a wine glass. Added a spash of Mango Absolute - about an ounce. Topped it off with whipping cream and a shake of sugar. Added a sprig of cilantro for color and taste with the shrimp. Hung three great looking pre-cooked jumbo prawns from the edge with the bodies on the outside of the glass. They were a hit at the latest dinner.

Sounds interesting: somehow, mangoes, whipped cream and shrimp doesn’t sound appealing, but you never know. I’d love to see a photo of this inventive concoction!

Have you ever tasted cold peaches with cream? Maybe not. However it is about as luxurious as your favorite fantasy. Mangos are similar in texture and taste with the cream. The splash of mango flavored vodka simply adds to the experience. The pre-cooked shrimp are eaten as an aside with the cilantro as an additive for taste. Shrimp have the unique ability to be unobtrusive, add color, decoration and pizzas to any dish, especially hanging on a wine glass. So you get a great taste of mango with sweet cream and an appetizer of shrimp and cilantro while you enjoy. Try it.
EDIT: BTW, try mango and salmon civiche sometime.

I wonder how much better it would have been using good vodka.

How can you make ceviche with mango? Is it acidic enough to “cook” the fish?

Ah, one should have put this question in the “Ask Namahottie” thread, as I was watching my fav cooking show the other night called, “Good Eats.” Alton Brown, the host, says it’s not the acidity that cooks the food, but rather enzymes that break down the food’s structure creating a geltin, which in hand creates that finger lickin’ good situation.

Ta-Da! :slight_smile:

Drink wodka cold. No add to wodka.
Maybe add pepper if you are having cold in noses.

Mango to wodka is for Без перевода.

Ah, one should have put this question in the “Ask Namahottie” thread, as I was watching my fav cooking show the other night called, “Good Eats.” Alton Brown, the host, says it’s not the acidity that cooks the food, but rather enzymes that break down the food’s structure creating a geltin, which in hand creates that finger lickin’ good situation.

Ta-Da! :slight_smile:[/quote]
He sounds like a right ponce to me. Enzymes turning your fish into jelly? Yeaaah, riiight.

Ta-Da! :slight_smile:[/quote]
He sounds like a right ponce to me. Enzymes turning your fish into jelly? Yeaaah, riiight.[/quote]

I don’t think your fish will turn in to jelly.

Stop teasing me. :cry: I’m gonna tell on you.

Jellyfish and Wodka…[i]NYET![/i]

Maybe smoke jellyfish first…then try.

if enzymes are the key to marinating the fish meat, try a ceviche with pineapple, papaya or kiwifruit, or a mix of that with mango. the pineapple and papaya have both got amazing meat dissolving enzymes in them, the kiwi less so, and the mango not much. ( i wasn’t aware that the citrus in a traditional ceviche did it by enzymes, but by acidity.)

a thai green prawn salad is the same idea.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Jellyfish and Wodka…[i]NYET![/i]

Maybe smoke jellyfish first…then try.[/quote]
How do you do a Polish accent?

Ah boychik…you smart lad …yes?

Wodka come from Polski…ees good!

Vodka or Wodka?

Does that mean pineapples and papaya could eventually evolve to be carnivorous? Or that they used to be carnivorous in the past but have succumbed to a very sedentary lifestyle?

Try this at home - simple but goood.

Get a nice local Taiwan pineapple, peel and cut into chunks. Buy a nice, but not too nice vodka, maybe a Smirnov or a Stoli. Place both contents into a glass container and set in fridge for 3 days. Serve over ice. Just don’t each the pineapple chunks. That is, if you want to avoid brain damage.

Mango wouldn’t be sour enough to tast as good.

A better use for the mango is some nice mango salsa.

Anyone else notice this stuff in Carrefour and actually purchase a bottle?

Sounds like a great concept to me: vodka and espresso, for a wide-awake drunk.

It appeals to me partly for the same reason I love this stuff (the other appeal being that it tastes great).

:lick:

And check out the great boilermaker you can make with it.

Anyway, I’ve been slightly intrigued by the VanGogh vodka but couldn’t see shelling out the dough for a whole bottle of it just to see how it tastes (same as I feel for the absinthe).

Niall has some of the van Gogh espresso vodka on the shelf at Hell’s Kitchen.

And he’ll sell you half a pint of Guinness and a shot of the espresso vodka…

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Anyone else notice this stuff in Carrefour and actually purchase a bottle?

Sounds like a great concept to me: vodka and espresso, for a wide-awake drunk.

It appeals to me partly for the same reason I love this stuff (the other appeal being that it tastes great).

:lick:

And check out the great boilermaker you can make with it.

Anyway, I’ve been slightly intrigued by the VanGogh vodka but couldn’t see shelling out the dough for a whole bottle of it just to see how it tastes (same as I feel for the absinthe).[/quote]
Vodka and expresso, my inner cranky old guy says no fucking way.

That said, you never know. This is an amazing beer because it manages to successfully mingle good chocolate with good American stout. I don’t want to know how they manage to do this - and then ship bottles of it across the country - but it’s great stuff. There’s even a bit of chocolate left in the dead soldiers. Just the idea of this unholy mixture makes my inner cranky old guy say get the fuck outta here. He’s wrong, though.

Highly recommended, especially in the winter.