Manila?

Construction is complete. Left side is plane parking, then bus goes out airport and around to terminal at far end.

I guess they can land 737 and A320 now. They used to have Fokker 50, Dash 7 or smaller. Asian Spirit was cheap but crap planes back than.

Do you have a single shred of proof to your claim that it’s tag of “best island in the world” which it has been voted as by countless independent and non- Philippine associated members, not to mention tons of websites, independent travel blogs etc, that such a verdict was given due to, as you put it “armies of paid voters.” Any proof there? Of the concrete kind mind you; not a my neighbor said such and such a thing kind.

Sour grapes perhaps that your country can make no such claim? Look, it’s very easy for people to judge a place over the internet and claim it’s this or it’s that, but how many of you have actually been to Palawan island within the last 5 years? Let alone the Philippines?

Palawan is absolutely stunning. Boracay is a once beautiful dump, ruined by tourism. But the key to it’s downfall was it’s convenience for tourism. Palawan in contrast is a large island that takes more than 7 hours to travail. So beach bums go to Thailand or elsewhere because it’s easier and less hassle to get there. Plus most want to party. In Palawan there were tourists sure, but no louts, and certainly nobody walking around in the afternoon puking their guts up at 12 like I saw often in Thailand.

Those in the know all venture to Palawan. Bar the underground river, there is not a whole heap of things to do in Puerto Princessa…the real beauty is North in El Nido. You must take a long and gruelling journey from Puerto Princessa airport to El Nido via a 6 - 7 hour minibus or air conditioned bus. You CAN get a plane but you’d have to be crazy rich. It costs more to fly from Puerto Princessa to El Nido then it does to go from Taiwan to Philippines or other neighboring countries.

Depending on your budget I’d go for the bus. It’s a rough, gruelling journey but the beaches and sights that await are absolutely worth it. My girlfriend and I spent 5 days in El Nido and we wished we had longer.

It makes Taiwan’s nature (of which I’m a fan of) look like a Sunday trip through the morgue in comparison.

Everyone can have an opinion, but I’ve travelled a lot and I can confidently state it’s my favorite place to go to unwind and see nature in all its beauty. Pictures look stunning but they really don’t do it justice. Seeing is believing. For a side note I also recommend Vietnam for beautiful spots. I’ve done Okinawa, Thailand, Bali etc and I still highly rate Palawan.

2 Likes

Yea, a rainy Sunday.

1 Like

It’s a shame you chose that particular example to quote me on… But yes, it is dreary in comparison. Every country has its good and bad spots but the guy above who tried insinuate that the extremely popular (and not without merit) opinion of Palawan as “best island in the world” as a result of some kind of bribe is just ridiculous, nonsense and preposterous.

Give me a break… Back it up or don’t bring it up. This isn’t conspiracy theory 101 class

Most certainly.

2 Likes

Personally, I want to avoid any place that is easy to get to. You are rarely rewarded for not putting in some effort.

I have some of my own personal pics of there. I’d say that photo is not even capturing 10% of the beauty. It’s one of those rare conundrums: a place where photos and filters don’t actually do justice to the beauty as much as seeing it with one’s own eyes do. Like say, the northern lights for example.

I must’ve seen the northern lights on at least 15 different occasions in the past, and though pleasant and a very unique and enjoyable experience, I noticed one thing - people’s photos of the exact same lights came out looking magical, splendid and otherworldly. For some reason the Northern lights look much better in photo than in person.

But Palawan isn’t like that. It does need to be lived in to appreciate it. If you get the chance then go! Beautiful spot.

Can someone please posts pics of these places mentioned above with girls in bikinis; otherwise, it just doesn’t add to the quality of the discussion…

2 Likes

Word

I’m in a happy relationship but I’d be lying if I said the local girls are not hot as hell. I’m a sucker for tanned brown skin, tiny waists and dark eyes. Also, the girls in Philippines have curves in all the right places. If you love boobs and butts you won’t be disappointed on the beaches there for sure.

I concur… Filipino and Laotian girls have the nicest (arched) butts of all Asians on an average basis

1 Like

Uhhhh, @finley lives in the PIs and owns property and businesses there.

ETA: Actually, if memory serves, I think he may actually live on Palawan.

2 Likes

That happened way back on Boracay too, resort owners flew to Manila or Cebu to get supplies, foreign imported foods.

I was merely pointing out that what happened to Boracay will inevitably happen to Palawan. As you said, the only thing that’s saved it (so far) is the lack of access. However this is changing fast. I think the San Vicente airport is being upgraded - as soon as The North becomes more accessible, the tourist hordes will overwhelm the nonexistent sewerage system, and it’ll be uninhabitable.

I’ll look up the voting-scam allegations when I have time. IIRC it boiled down to the fact that Filipinos have the busiest thumbs in cyberspace, and they made a concerted effort to vote in a poll that nobody else was really interested in. It’s a Pinoy Pride thing. I’m not saying the place isn’t nice - I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t - but it’s being ruined by the usual combination of corruption, stupidity, and moneygrubbing. There was a thing on the news the other day about illegal pangolin hunting, which really riled me; that sort of thing is so common that nobody even remarks upon it.

2 Likes