Marriage ARC, has anyone ever had a home visit from NIA?

In point of fact the NIA has zero issue with mail order brides per se. They just want to make sure that the little breeders are in place running the store, cleaning the house, cooking the food, walking the dog, looking after the grandparents and ridding the world of crime.

Their number one concern is mail order brides being forced into prostitution, because that would take work away from hard-working Taiwanese women. (tongue only slightly in cheek)

1 Like

download

Waiting for the impending indignation. This might make my Tuesday more bearable.

I think it’s taken as read by now. We all know what’s going on down there in Pingtung.

1 Like

19 years in Taiwan.

1. Visited once during employment ARC 19 years ago to make sure my address was correct. This was in the Foreign Affairs Police era.

2. Visited once during marriage ARC 18 years ago. Not sure why, but didn’t give a :poop:. Foreign Affairs Police era. Oh…was offered an English teaching position at the Police College. That’s probably the reason for the visit. Of course I declined the offer.

3. Visited three times over the past 6 years. Once for each time I applied for naturalization. Home visit to verify actual marriage and to question me as to why I was applying for naturalization.
    National Immigration Agency era.

Why so many visits? Maybe I’m on a list for being notorious!

[slightly edited by mod]

When people mention “naturalization” do they refer to the process of giving up their original citizenship and get the Taiwanese one?

10y in Taiwan, 3y after marriage. Never received a visit from immigration office, but I got 3 calls from them. All 3 times were after getting married.
They were asking if I was adapting well in Taiwan and if I needed any support with Chinese, cultural classes and such.
I don’t think a visit would’ve been much different.

Yes and no.

Yes, some people are required to renounce their citizenship in order to obtain Taiwan citizenship.

No, some people aren’t required to renounce their citizenship in order to obtain Taiwan citizenship.

Naturalization is becoming a citizen through either of these two ways in Taiwan.

Definitely nationality is at play as well as gender, as it probably should be. Stats are stats. Vietnam is notorious for coming and living in secret working illegally so their papers are now pretty annoying to get sometimes.

As per original question. Yes I have been visited. But it was when getting an aprc during a divorce, so there were numerous red flags for them. Over a decade prior to that on arc, nothing but a fee and a receipt every 3 years.