Marriage in Taiwan

Hi. Soon I plan to get married in Taiwan with taiwanese men and i have some questions.

1. What visa do I need? As I am polish I dont need visa if I want to stay 90 days, but my friend said if I want to marry I need one.
  2. After I am married I want to get my JFRV. Can I change it later for APRC? Because some people said no some people said yes. I heard that I can change JFRV for ARC but i dont plan to work for a while and i heard u have to work to get ARC=APRC.
  3. This question is only if JFRV CAN CHANGE FOR APRC. Does it mean no matter if i divorce or my partner dies i can still stay in taiwan? Because JFRV let me stay in taiwan as long as im not divorced etc.

Thank you for all answers.

I tried sooooo hard to leave this alone…but…can’t resist…

I am pretty sure you can only marry one guy at a time here. Unless you meant you plan on getting divorced a few times.

A quick search will land you answers to your questions. It has been discussed a ton here before.

3 Likes

I didnt mean that, its probably because of my english.
What I meant is AFTER we got married in taiwan and i got my JFRV can i try to get APRC?
Or does it work only marriage-arc-aprc?

Yes you can, but you need to wait 5 years to qualify for an APRC.

Your APRC will be marriage based in this instance. Not much of a difference from the other version of an APRC.

Yes thats what i wanted to know. So after marriage I simply need to get JFRV wait 5 years as im married and then i can apply to get my aprc?

So the first 5 years after marriage can i travel abroad? Or I have to stay some days to qualify for aprc after 5 years? Thanks.

First you’ll have a marriage based ARC.

Then you live 5 years on Taiwan (>183 days per year spent here).

Then you can apply for an APRC.

Are you in Taiwan already? If yes, what kind of Visa?

No, I am in Taiwan every year for 2/3 months as my country (poland) doesnt need visa if i stay max 90 days. But my friend told me that if i want to marry in taiwan, then get my jfrv/marriage arc/aprc i need to have some kind of visa? I’m not really sure so i try to find answer here.

Also I googled that when i marry and got my jfrv i need to get marriage based arc within 15 days is that true?

This part of the forum should have answers to all your questions. You can read about other people’s experiences and the laws and requirements there.

Yes, you need visitor visa for marriage purpose. Don’t marry on 90 days landing visa.

JFRV = marriage based ARC

Oh so after i marry i only need to apply for jfrv (as its marriage arc I DIDNT KNOW THAT I THOUGHT JFRV IS FIRST STEP FOR GETTING ARC). and then i dont need todo anything wai 5 years and apply for aprc?

Yes. But ARC will expire in between those 5 years. You just go and renew.

Wish you all the best with marriage and in-laws. :four_leaf_clover:

Thank you thats a big help.

Can I ask one more thing? I just found one page about marriage and it say “Once the JFRV has been successfully obtained, the foreign spouse will need to apply for an Alien Resident Certificate at the local office of the National Immigration Agency within fifteen days. The following things are required for application:” so after i got JFRV i NEED to apply for that arc to make it marriage based arc? Or that page is wrong and jfrv is already my arc?
Page: http://www.taiwanho.com/marriage/

The term JFRV is supposed to refer to a visa but is informally used to refer to an ARC.

That page is correct. You need to get a resident visa based on your marriage(JFRV), then convert it to a marriage based ARC. After being on the ARC for 5 years, you can apply to APRC. You may need to renew your ARC twice during the 5 years.

You need to leave taiwan to get the JFRV, if you are here with visa exempt. If you come on a visitor visa with a stamp of “TS”, you can get your JFRV in Taiwan.

Resident Visas for Foreign Spouses of R.O.C.(Taiwan) Citizens Having Household Registration
https://www.boca.gov.tw/cp-166-280-9f808-2.html

How are marriages between R.O.C. citizens and foreigners registered?
https://english.ca.gov.taipei/News_Content.aspx?n=EB3C54A9CB51087C&sms=5B794C46F3CDE718&s=CE063C5CD4357F7D

How does a foreigner renew or apply for an ARC?(Serial No. 0902)
https://www.immigration.gov.tw/5475/5478/141465/141808/141970/

How to apply APRC
English site is broken after their site renewal, so in chinese
外國人申請永久居留送件須知
https://www.immigration.gov.tw/5382/5385/7244/7250/7317/永久居留/外國人申請永久居留送件須知/

Thank you everyone, you all help a lot.
So I found this visa page where u can choose what visa u need (i dont know other countries but Poland need to print it first and then go there). “https://visawebapp.boca.gov.tw/BOCA_MRVWeb/subroot/MRV00FORM.action;jsessionid=0AF3A668FCCF3E293A81D572C38275F4
And I still have questions, hope you dont mind.

1. When I choose visitor visa I can choose SINGLE entry and MULTIPLE entry. Which one should I choose ans why?
  2. There’s something like “服務機關或就讀學校(Name of Employer or School)” What should I writte there if I am not going there for school or work. It says that i NEED to writte something and next page is already telling me that i can choose joining family. So what should i writte?
  3. 抵台日期(Date of Arrival in Taiwan) ![請點選, 預定離台日期(Proposed Date of Departure) what do they mean by DEPARTURE if i want to join family and get arc to stay there?

Also if they ask me whats the reason for me get visitor visa what should i say? That i want to marry?
Did they asked u any questions?
]

sorry for trouble and thank you all for big help .

How we did it;

Came in on 90 day visa exempt.
Left to Hong kong for weekend and applied for visitor visa.
Came back to Taiwan on visitor visa and got married.
Applied for ARC in Taiwan, got it about a week later.

I think for the first 5 years you will need to renew it each year. Have your husband talk to them though, my wife was able to get 2+2+1

I would prefer to get it in Poland thats why i asked but thanks.

You can, we just went to HK cause its an hour and a bit flight, faster than back to Australia. You just need to visit your Taiwan embassy/immigration :slight_smile:

Apply for it there, the visitor visa, if it’s anything like HK youll have it in a day or 2, we did it on a Saturday and got it Monday.

1 Like

THANK YOU. BUT AS I SAW THAT VISA ONLINE IT HAS QUESTIONS THAT I AM NOT SURE HOW TO ANSWER.