Marriage Proposal - parent's blessing traditions?

Hi,

Here I come again seeking more helpful advice. I’m sure the answer to this is buried somewhere in this forum, but I’ve looked and can’t find it…

Q. What is the tradition here for getting you girlfriend/boyfriend’s parents’ permission before proposing to him/her?

Background info:

• I have an excellent relationship with her parents and have dinner with them 2-3 times a month.
  • Her mother from time to time nags her (my gf) about ‘when are you two going to get married’ and has nagged/teased my twice.
  • My Chinese is decent and discussing it with them would not be a problem

M

You don’t need to ask permission to propose. Propose first, then ask permission to marry. Of course, you don’t need the parents’ blessing to marry, but it’s a nice gesture. In my case, I asked my wife’s father if he had time for a private chat after dinner. We went into his office, and I told him what was on our minds, and would we have his blessing? He was very good about it, and I think he was glad that I asked him before we made any announcements. Sometimes these little concessions to tradition make a big difference.

I did the same as Maoman. I asked my future mother in-law if I could have her blessings to marry her daughter. She replied, “Why ask me? You need to ask her!” :bravo:

haha good one ! In one of my major romances in TW, both parents gave their blessing but she ran off !!

[quote=“muzharen”]Hi,

Here I come again seeking more helpful advice. I’m sure the answer to this is buried somewhere in this forum, but I’ve looked and can’t find it…

Q. What is the tradition here for getting you girlfriend/boyfriend’s parents’ permission before proposing to him/her?

Background info:

• I have an excellent relationship with her parents and have dinner with them 2-3 times a month.
  • Her mother from time to time nags her (my gf) about ‘when are you two going to get married’ and has nagged/teased my twice.
  • My Chinese is decent and discussing it with them would not be a problem

M[/quote]

As long as you ask her first and then respect her parents, I think all will go well. According to the information you have given, I think congratulations are in order!

so I guess its not like the Uk then, where you can just take the dad to the pub, get him drunk if he says yes its all good, if he says no put him on a bus to London ha! :laughing:

thanks guys, i’ll thank Forumosa during my wedding speech!

1 Like

What are getting for a dowry?

Gold? Real estate? Opium? Goats/Pigs?

The harder you bargain the more they will respect you.