Marriage vows in traditional Taiwanese ceremonies

what are the promises exchanged during the traditional taiwanese/taoist rites on the wedding day? (our “…till death do us apart”)

I don’t think we made any formal vows (except implicit ones). There was a ceremony in which I bowed to her parents, and to her family altar, and the ancestors were notified that a daughter of their house was being transferred. And then another ceremony at our new home (much abbreviated). And then the wedding banquet, during which we mainly wandered around toasting people. And then a few weeks later, we signed some forms at the city office.

1 Like

We actually were at the office and signed all papers a few days before the wedding. Marriage was dated for the wedding day in the future, but marriage certificate issued and stamped on that day! This raised some eyebrows when I brought the marriage certificate to my home country to have the marriage registered there. I had to explain that this is possible in Taiwan.

On topic:
I had to ask her parents for permission to marry their daughter on the wedding day in front of extended family. (This was a reenactment as they gave permission earlier)
Everything else was done as we planned for it to happen by ourselves.