Married abroad, need to sign anything in Taiwan?

Hi All,

We have been married since March and are coming over to have a wedding for my wife’s family. My wife keeps saying that we will sign some ‘old-fashioned’ documents in Taiwan. I have no idea what this means and wonder if it is a legal necessity?

Also, how do I register our Australian marriage in Taiwan, and which documents do I need?

Cheers.

L.

Okay , I’ve found the paperwork:

www.teco.org.au/edocument.htm

this appears to be an application for authentication (of what I’m still not sure)

and:

www.teco.org.au/cdocument.htm

This is a declaration that I will use a Chinese name.

Whilst at uni I used my wife’s family name, do you think I can still use that - even though it has never been registered?

Thanks.

L. :smiley:

[quote=“Limey”]Okay , I’ve found the paperwork:

www.teco.org.au/edocument.htm

this appears to be an application for authentication (of what I’m still not sure)

and:

www.teco.org.au/cdocument.htm

This is a declaration that I will use a Chinese name.

Whilst at uni I used my wife’s family name, do you think I can still use that - even though it has never been registered?

Thanks.

L. :smiley:[/quote]

Sorry, I can’t help you too much on the documents as my wife handled all of that. But yeah, we did register it here. If you’re not intending to live here though, then that’s another matter. I needed to do all that to make me legal here (I suspect if you have kids it might help to register their births here, etc).

As for the name, I’d strongly suggest you use your wife’s family’s surname, as when the many, many kids that you’re just dying to have are born, they’ll take your Chinese surname in their Chinese names. Because of this you will score major bonus points with the in-laws if you have chosen their name.

TECO authentification in Australia is exactly what you’re after. You will need to bring your authenticated wedding certificate, plus you will have to sign a brief form affirming that you will use XXX as your Chinese name “for the purposes of household registration”. If you’re not applying for a JFRV the process is quick, cheap and painless.

I use my wife’s family name (like IrishStu) to simplify things for any future kids (plus earning some Brownie points from the in-laws didn’t hurt).

Thanks for the replies,

I’l go with 吳 大 衛 which I used before. Apparently he is a famous singer? Miles better than 豆豆先生 :slight_smile:

Went yesterday,

Frustrated by the “How much do you earn a year?” and “Which university did you go to ?” questions.

Delighted (in a schoolboyish way) by the little book they give newlyweds that teach them how to be good housewives and how to correctly put on a condom…no kidding.

We’re off to practice before the big day :banana:

Congratulations Mr. Bean.