Married in Taiwan, Living In UK, Where to divorce?

I am British, my wife is Taiwanese, we got married in Taiwan, and we have now been living in the UK together for a number of years. We did not “register” our marriage in the UK, but it is valid (as she is here on a spouse visa).

Currently I am considering about divorce, however I have the following questions:

• If we get divorced in the UK, will this be recognized in Taiwan (and all other countries)?

• If we get divorced in Taiwan, using mutual consent (assuming she agrees), will this be recognized in the UK (and all other countries)? I have seen mentions of foreign divorces needing to be “by means of proceeding” to be recognized in the UK, and am not sure if a mutual consent divorce would count?

• Does anyone have recommendations for legal experts who have experience with such a case?

Thanks!

Normally divorce is filed where you are residing.

Logistically it makes sense to divorce in the UK, however:

• Divorce in the UK is a very slow process, taking many months, where as in Taiwan it only takes a few minutes (if both parties agree).
  • I am unclear about whether the UK divorce would be recognized in Taiwan, hence this question. After divorce, I want this issue to be settled for good.

Why do you care about it being recognized in Taiwan? If the UK recognizes it that should be good enough unless you plan to go back to Taiwan.

I would like the option to go back to Taiwan. Also, if it’s not recognized in Taiwan, how about in other countries besides the UK (given that the marriage was in Taiwan in the first place)?

In Taiwan, it’s hard to get a divorce if one spouse doesn’t want to. So don’t assume the UK process would be slower.

2 Likes

You can get a certificate of divorce in Taiwan. Whether it is recognized in UK, you should check UK’s regulations.

1 Like

Will that be a mutual consent divorce? That makes difference.

Did you manage to sort out the divorce? Im also in the UK, my wife though in Taiwan and weve decided on a mutual divorce. I would prefer to not go to taiwan and wanted to check if you could register it at the taiwanese consulate in London? Have you checked?