Married to ROC girl,want to bring big bike back with us

Anybody give me info on bringing back “my baby” :slight_smile: Yamaha 1000YZF Thunderace. married for four years to Taiwanese lady,we have lived in South Korea for that time and are thinking of returning to Taiwan.Iwant to bring my bike back,under her name. Can i do this without having to pay exhorbitant taxes etc in Taiwan. Any advice would be welcome

Interesting. I presume you want to do the “once-only-duty-free-import-of-a-personal-vehicle” thing, right?

Ben wrote some useful info, although it relates to cars. Don’t know whether you can do the same with a bike.
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … 935#200935](Import a car for personal use

You should read the rest of that post and the whole thread anyway. You should also read Plasmatron’s post on the import process for bikes here;
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … 324#112324](Motorcycle touring

Thanks, I wonder if the same applies for bikes as for cars tho? i bought this bike quite cheap here in Korea $ 3000. Painted it and now it looks like and runs like new. it would hurt if I have to pay a fortune to get it to Taiwan. Shipping is no problem…just what happens when I get it there. iread the other info,but still lacks the important issue about TAX FREE. Of course they are going to hit me with some kind of expenses I know that,but the tax free is the big one.

Leave the bike and the canoli—take the girl…

Look at the string talking about importing bikes.

Your Godfather Bubba

Joesax…any idea where I can contact some of these companies you mentioned?

It wasn’t me; I was quoting Forumosa member Ben. You could try sending him a private message;
forumosa.com/taiwan/privmsg.php?mode=post&u=5138

I notice from his profile that he hasn’t posted since August, though, so I don’t know whether you’ll get a reply soon.

It wasn’t me; I was quoting Forumosa member Ben. You could try sending him a private message;
forumosa.com/taiwan/privmsg.php?mode=post&u=5138

I notice from his profile that he hasn’t posted since August, though, so I don’t know whether you’ll get a reply soon.[/quote]

I’m still alive and kicking. :slight_smile: I have been back stateside since early October '04, and don’t expect to be back in Taiwan on a long term basis at least until the end of 2005. I still lurk on the forums from time to time though. For some reason, I don’t get email notifications anymore when I get a new PM though, so I better check more often. :wink:

The information I posted about importing a car was based on the research I did to bring my car from the US to Taiwan in 2003. I’m sure there there are some things that have changed since then. Doesn’t seem like anyone’s verified or refuted any of it though. I’m pretty sure the freebie thing for returning citizens is a thing of the past though, although I’d love for someone to prove me wrong on this.

As for which companies that can assist you to bring in a car, check the local newspapers and classifieds which target Taiwanese in your area, and you can usually find a couple companies that advertise this service.