Marrying in Taiwan on 60 days Visitor Visa

Hello Guys

I am from India and I have a Taiwanese girlfriend. We met on some English learning site. Now we know each other for last three years but just last month we met for the first time in real. She visited me in India and now we are planning to get married in Taiwan and later I want to stay with her there. I have read lots of nice posts in this Forum and all were quite helpful. But still I am so afraid to lose her if i won’t get visa. As I would be traveling first time abroad I am not sure TECC will give me 60 days visitor visa. My gf will give me letter of invitation and in the letter I was advised not to mention purpose of visit as marriage. But I want to marry her there if i get visa. I do not know if they will give me visa as they will see I have never traveled abroad. In this regard I have some queries, which are following:-

1. Is it legal to marry on visitor visa?
  2. Should letter of invitation be attested by some authority before she gives me?
  3. As I wont mention purpose of visit as Marriage, in that case, will they authenticate my Single Status Certificate and Police Clearance Certificate? or they will refuse to do it as they may doubt on me?

Marrying in India would certainly be easier (and possible) than marrying in Taiwan.

Why? Many of us get married in Taiwan.

Why? Many of us get married in Taiwan.[/quote]

My mistake, I should have specified. I mean marrying on visitor visa would be easier in India than in Taiwan.

My mistake, I should have specified. I mean marrying on visitor visa would be easier in India than in Taiwan.[/quote]

I got married here on a visitor visa, was was to arrange.

My mistake, I should have specified. I mean marrying on visitor visa would be easier in India than in Taiwan.[/quote]

I got married here on a visitor visa, was was to arrange.[/quote]

I got married in Taiwan on a student visa. It took me three months to process all the paperwork so I had to renew for a second 60 days.

The single problem was getting a criminal background check from the US and having it officially translated. If you get that certificate in India, you should have no trouble getting processed in 60 days. As soon as they approve your application, the cancel you visitor visa and give you a receipt for picking up your ARC. With that receipt, you cannot leave/reenter Taiwan, but you can stay here legally while the make the card.

So you should have no trouble if you ONLY bring your translated criminal background check.

Actually, there is one more thing. If India has a central registry for marriages/divorces, you need a certificate from India (also translated and certified) that you are legally able to marry.

The bottom line is bring EVERYTHING you will need with you when you come and you’ll be fine.

Many Many Thanks to all you guys here :slight_smile:

I got married here on a visitor visa, was was to arrange.[/quote]

I got married in Taiwan on a student visa. It took me three months to process all the paperwork so I had to renew for a second 60 days.

The single problem was getting a criminal background check from the US and having it officially translated. If you get that certificate in India, you should have no trouble getting processed in 60 days. As soon as they approve your application, the cancel you visitor visa and give you a receipt for picking up your ARC. With that receipt, you cannot leave/reenter Taiwan, but you can stay here legally while the make the card.

So you should have no trouble if you ONLY bring your translated criminal background check.

Actually, there is one more thing. If India has a central registry for marriages/divorces, you need a certificate from India (also translated and certified) that you are legally able to marry.

The bottom line is bring EVERYTHING you will need with you when you come and you’ll be fine.[/quote]

Thank you so much Joschka

I will get Letter of Invitation from my gf to get 60 days visa (Hope I will get that). But we wanted to get married legally and don’t want to disobey law there in Taiwan. So she called up BOCA asked them the procedure to get married with a foreigner. They advised her that the only thing I need to have Single Status Certificate and then we can get married in Taiwan. But when I asked the same to TECC in New Delhi. They told me that I can’t get married in Taiwan. First I need to marry her in India only then they will give me visa. So we decided not to mention about marriage in Invitation letter. Here in India, getting Police Clearance Certificate and getting it authenticated by Indian Ministry of Foreign Affairs isn’t tough. But the main problem is that if I get visa on the basis of Invitation letter to travel Taiwan, will they authenticate my Single Status Certificate and Police Clearance Certificate? As they will ask me the purpose of authentication. So I decided to go Taiwan first and will leave the job of authentication for some attestation agency. Will that be fine? I also want to know since when the validity of those documents starts? does it start from the time it was authenticated by TECC or the time it was issued by first authority? . …Thank you :slight_smile: