Marrying my taiwanese girl soon

How long do I have to be in Taiwan to marry my fiancee? Could I in theory just turn up marry her and leave?

Or is there any requirement, for a period of time, that i should be there before or after we marry?

Why would you just show up, marry her, and then leave? What kind of marriage is that?

I am currently living and working in UK, she is currently living and working in Taiwan. After we get married we intend to BOTH come to the UK to live and work. I didn’t mean I was going to leave her straight away! he he!

I am trying to work out how long the proccess takes so I can minimise the amount of time I am not earning. So again, is there a minimum amount of time I have to be in Taiwan before the marriage takes place.

This website doesn’t really answer my question.
ukintaiwan.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo … r-marriage

Also what is BOCA, it is reffered to on the UK in Taiwan website as somewhere I need to get my CNI verified, along with TRO and FCO, who I do know about…

Wouldn’t it be better for you to marry in the UK since that’s where you’re both planning on living?

Or Hongkong?

HK only requires that you fill in some paper work before hand and that you are there for 2 days before the ceremony. Since your long term plan is to be in the UK, HK marriages are at least recognised by the British government and Taiwanese marriages aren’t.

Yeah I think it would be easier, but my fiancee’s family and friends would need to do the trek over to HK, and thats means asking them to pay for flights and hotels… and so on. Also her dad is too old now at 82 to be doing much travelling at all.

You’ve got me thinking though, what if me and her went to HK, married on our own (just for legalities) and then went back to Taiwan and had the blessing and celebrations there like normal? would that work?

When i got hitched here last year, the big thing is the dinner. Most Taiwanese don’t seem to mind about the legal vows bit, but my Brit family were concerned with seeing the vows.

If your fiancee is up for it and doesn’t mind her family not being there for the vows then i would suggest that you get hitched in the UK and have it done there and then come over here for a honeymoon and dinner with her family.

Good luck with it all. I still have nightmares about the logistics. :laughing:

That’s probably the best way to go about it. We didn’t have our wedding party until about 3 weeks after we got married.

That’s the way to do it. We did the same - the family bash is next month, 15 months after we officially tied the knot in Hong Kong, so you really don’t have to do it one straight after the other.

I know you say I have to be in HK for 2 days before the wedding, but what happens after? Is there a load of headache going round getting certificates and bits of paper verified? How soon can we leave and go back to Taiwan?

And then, will she be able to get the spouse visa for coming to the UK a lot easier?
What papers would we need for marrying in HK?

Cheers for your input chaps!

[quote=“tigerpaul”]I know you say I have to be in HK for 2 days before the wedding, but what happens after? Is there a load of headache going round getting certificates and bits of paper verified? How soon can we leave and go back to Taiwan?

And then, will she be able to get the spouse visa for coming to the UK a lot easier?
What papers would we need for marrying in HK?

Cheers for your input chaps![/quote]

OK fella, it’s time to start using Google and finding out your own detailed information. A simple Google search for “getting married in HK” brings up many pages including http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/bdmreg_4.htm the government website, which will answer your questions and give you e-mail addresses for questions it doesn’t answer.

Good luck and remember that all the headaches you’re going through now will soon be over and whole lot more will start afterwards.

Yeah cheers for all the info everyone, I have been looking online at various websites and forums for nearly 12 hours now, and I know I’m still at the beginning!

Thanks for the ideas and input you’ve all given me. I have a sneaky feeling there might be more Q’s to come in the future!

That’s exactly what I’m doing come Dec 2008. I’m going to go for about a month, take pre-wedding pictures, register at court, house of registration, banquet and scoot back to US. She’ll come about a couple of months later once all the paperwork is ok and that I can arrange for my company to help me with work based GC.

Though my situation is slightly different in the fact that I’ll be entering Taiwan with my Taiwanese passport.

Mmm, I plan to live in Taiwan with my taiwanese “to-be” wife. Could we Marry in Hong Kong then enter Taiwan with the authorities recognising us has man and wife ?