Martial Arts for Kids

Simple: don’t strike and kick his joints!

Untrue. As long as proper technique isfollowed, your boy will only become stronger, better coordinated, more flexible, more confident, and more well-adjusted. Proper technique is key. Make sure that the instructor is qualified.

Any type of martial art that involves repeated kicking and punching into the air is, at least to the best of my knowledge, detrimental to children under ten. And when I say that I am not taking 10 as some magic number, it varies from kid to kid, but punching and kicking based arts are not an ideal choice for pre-adolescents.

Basic physics lesson plus basic karate lesson. Child-student is taught to torque hips, twist spine, extend and pronate arm and lock it out. This is the classic karate reverse punch.

It does generate a great amount of force. If the child is punching into a bag or another person the force is transmitted into the other object. If the child is punching the air (which is how about 75% of karate class time is normally spent) where does the force go? Disappear into thin air? No, it is absorbed by the childs joints. I would strongly guess that most pediatric orthopedic surgeons would view this as not such a good thing.

A good compendium of medical research on various martial arts can be found at:
ais.up.ac.za/med/martial.htm

It includes such studies as
<13>
Unique Identifier
Authors
Berg EE.
Title
Adolescent tibia vara, nonossifying fibroma, and bipartite patella in a nationally ranked adolescent karate competitor.
Source
Journal of the Southern Orthopaedic Association. 7(3):218-21, 1998 Fall.
Abstract
I describe a case of adolescent tibia vara, a contralateral nonossifying fibroma of the tibia, and bipartite patella, which occurred in an adolescent karate competitor of normal stature. The association of this unusual triad supports the hypothesis that each process has a shared traumatic etiology.

Laying aside direct medical concerns my other advice (which is equally true for adults considering starting martial arts in Taiwan) is you really need to watch your choice of instructors in Taiwan. Most of them are living back in feudal China and have absolutely zero knowledge of modern sports methods or medicine. Note I said most, not all.

[quote=“brianlkennedy”]If the child is punching the air (which is how about 75% of karate class time is normally spent) where does the force go? Disappear into thin air? No, it is absorbed by the childs joints. I would strongly guess that most pediatric orthopedic surgeons would view this as not such a good thing.

A good compendium of medical research on various martial arts can be found at:
ais.up.ac.za/med/martial.htm

It includes such studies as
<13>
Unique Identifier
Authors
Berg EE.
Title
Adolescent tibia vara, nonossifying fibroma, and bipartite patella in a nationally ranked adolescent karate competitor.
Source
Journal of the Southern Orthopaedic Association. 7(3):218-21, 1998 Fall.
Abstract
I describe a case of adolescent tibia vara, a contralateral nonossifying fibroma of the tibia, and bipartite patella, which occurred in an adolescent karate competitor of normal stature. The association of this unusual triad supports the hypothesis that each process has a shared traumatic etiology.

Laying aside direct medical concerns my other advice (which is equally true for adults considering starting martial arts in Taiwan) is you really need to watch your choice of instructors in Taiwan. Most of them are living back in feudal China and have absolutely zero knowledge of modern sports methods or medicine. Note I said most, not all.[/quote]
Again, I think it is a question of technique. Over-extension of the striking limb can result in injury, but with proper instruction , this can be avoided. Technique is everything, so the instructor must be qualified.

[quote=“brianlkennedy”]Laying aside direct medical concerns my other advice (which is equally true for adults considering starting martial arts in Taiwan) is you really need to watch your choice of instructors in Taiwan. Most of them are living back in feudal China and have absolutely zero knowledge of modern sports methods or medicine. Note I said most, not all.[/quote]I agree with Brian Kennedy’s assessment completely.

I’m planning to get my 5-year-old learning judo either this year or next year. First and foremost, it seems like the most fun for a child that age - sort of wrestling and doing throws.

He can do judo for a couple of years and then go from there. I’d like him to ‘progress’ to Aikido or even Jujitisu when he’s ten or so, depending on what’s available nearby, but if he’d prefer to try Kung fu or Taekwondo or something else entirely, then that’s fine.

I second (third?) the judo suggestion. I started with Judo at 7 years old, then went into Kung Fu when I was 9. Having learned how to fall properly in Judo put me so far ahead of the game once I got to Kung Fu.

Judo gives you great balance, teaches you to keep your center of gravity low, and most of all helps you not to be afraid to get thrown. I really think learning how to hit the ground in a controlled fashion may be one of the most important things to know as a beginner.

wonderful…thanks all! :slight_smile:

now we just have to work on the Bruce Lee like aaaaa-gahhhhhh screech!

[quote=“peacewarrior”]I think Aikido is a great Martial Art for kids. Keep in mind that I might be tooting my own horn since I teach it.

For children your sons age we usually keep it very simple and focus on falling and rolling. Aikido is about 90% throwing and places the responsability of protecting the opponent on the person doing the throws. Consequently, non-violence and responsability are a big part of Aikido, especially the childrens classes.

We teach a pretty hard style of Aikido to adults with Aiki Jujutsu mixed into it. For kids that doesn’t start happening until Junior High or High School. Up until then it’s really about protecting themselves while falling, excercise and fun.

Our dojo is located in the mountains near Neihu, so it’s a bit difficult to reach. Currently my Sunday morning Aiki Kids class are all grade school age, so your son would be the youngest in the small group. I am working at getting something going at an anqinban near Songshan airport. Again mostly grade school kids, but it looks like at least over the summer I will have one child your sons age. Right now it looks like we will be practicing on Tuesday & Thursday evenings 5:00 - 6:30.

You can email me and check out the website at:

heaven-earth.com[/quote]

I agree, but I am biased also. :wink:

Really, you really can’t go wrong with whatever art you choose. Judo is a great art to learn…I think it is the best besides Aikido. I have had Maoman throw a kick towards my face and when you see your life pass before your eyes it can make you a believer in TKD. Karate is great too.

I think Aikido is a great art for kids because you learn to fall. If you can deal with the ground then everything else is easy. Aikido does teach responsibility. It also emphasizes the non-violence aspect of martial arts…but you wouldn’t know that from watching a class.

I think Aikido teaches two things very well besides learning how to deal with the ground. It helps defend against when some grabs you and it teaches how to deal with multiple opponents. It can also be the most violent of arts.

I would go and check out a practice or two and ask questions. Peacewarrior would be the man to go and see. Shop around for an art that fits your needs.

If taipei is too far away then I can perhaps point you to a dojo in Taichung. I believe my instructor has a brother who teaches Aikido there.

This morning I received my black belt and my fancy dancy pair of black pants…don’t ask me how to tie those suckers up…I’m sure in tomorrow’s class they are going to end up by my ankles. I didn’t want to post this but there is a story behind it. Though many would consider it drivel…
:blush:

It was a special three hour class. Our first session was conducted by the head of the Kaohsiung Aikido Association and he spent the good part of the time telling us our responsibilities as blackbelts and how we should conduct ourselves on the mat. That was really cool. Then he started a rather painful series of events called, “Here are some nasty things you can do to people”. It was like, “you have been borg-ed…now we show you the really cool stuff”. I go to a dojo in Fengshan just to practice this kind of stuff I saw today but to see it in another light was one of those “Aha” moments. A lot of people hack on Aikido but if you practice with honesty then it can be very, very effective. And all the little things that were emphasized in classes came right up to and slapped me in the face. “Ah yes, foot position and hand position…yeah it does matter.”

I think that as I progress I will continue to be surprised. As I think I know it all I find out that I know next to nothing…and I think life in general should be like that. Why not give your son that same excitement of, “What’s behind this door” that Aikido can give you. Aikido is a life long process and it is one of those things that as you get older you get better. Your son would be able to use the skills that Aikido can give you everyday of his life.

[quote=“Durins Bane”]

I think that as I progress I will continue to be surprised. As I think I know it all I find out that I know next to nothing…and I think life in general should be like that. Why not give your son that same excitement of, “What’s behind this door” that Aikido can give you. Aikido is a life long process and it is one of those things that as you get older you get better. Your son would be able to use the skills that Aikido can give you everyday of his life.[/quote]

This is what I hope for bud…I want something that help him build character…as well as protect him from my sick DNA.

[quote]brianlkennedy:
Basic physics lesson plus basic karate lesson. Child-student is taught to torque hips, twist spine, extend and pronate arm and lock it out. This is the classic karate reverse punch. [/quote]

No, our reverse punch if properly taught does not involve locking the joint out. There is a miniscule bend left in the elbow so there is no overextension or risk of joint damage.

The deceleration is the more violent of the two forces, and it is more sudden and therefore more stressful when punching into a bag or person, and the accumulated damage to the joints therefore greater. The techniques done into the air countless hundreds of thousands of times over nearly a decade did no harm to my joints, compared to the stress of extended deep knee bends in the lower stances (which are emphasized in, say, Shotokan karate here in Taiwan compared to the higher stances of Shorinryu karate which I studied); I also was injured more often by punching into bags and sparring with real people than by our solo basic techniques. So I have to disagree with your analysis.

[quote]FearsomeOrange:
Judo gives you great balance, teaches you to keep your center of gravity low, and most of all helps you not to be afraid to get thrown. I really think learning how to hit the ground in a controlled fashion may be one of the most important things to know as a beginner.[/quote]

Yes, I totally agree, it’s a great choice; note that aikido will teach you this too. As did my karate teacher, but he liked to mix in the valuable aspects of other arts like judo, aikido, etc.

[quote]Durins Bane
I think that as I progress I will continue to be surprised. As I think I know it all I find out that I know next to nothing…and I think life in general should be like that. Why not give your son that same excitement of, “What’s behind this door” that Aikido can give you.
[/quote]

This same room for growth exists in each of the arts (of course).

The nice thing is that whatever path you choose, that path is going to be really fun and awesome.

Easiest choice in the world…they are all good. :wink:

I have my bias towards Taekwondo because I trained in it when I was younger as an olympic hopeful.

I have also training in traditional Chinese Kung Fu Praying Mantis and Long Fist style.

Personally I think for children TKD is probably a better environment. I started out in a very traditional kung fu school and it was very tough causing many younger students to drop out.

I seen some very good TKD school in Taiwan gear towards 5 year olds and up. Usually schools with lots of kids is better, because then they will not precieve training as work and more as play.

It’s the teacher more than the style.

miltownkid’s 50cent

Finally got around to going to a TKD clas last night. I will go back and grill the teacher about some of the points brought up in this thread:

Teacher’s attitude, focused on teaching respect, control and humility; does the teacher emphasize the basics?

Ask about rank promotion, too fast is not good.

When the kids spar, are they adequately protected?

One question: How do I know the TEACHER is qualified to teach??

And thanks again. Very hepful thread.

jds

jd, FWIW, my daughter started Wushu in kindergarten, when she was about 4 1/2, and continued until graduating in May of this year.
She ended up as the only girl in the class and the class leader, calling cadence, etc.
She loved it and was quite good.
She started elementary school last week.
Back in June when she was choosing her extra-curricular activities, she chose karate, although she had the option of continuing with her wushu teacher at his school or choosing any other martial art.
She’s digging it, although I must say, she sees it purely as a sport/art thing, like she used to study ballet.
She wouldn’t ever dream of hitting another person using it.
Maybe that’s a chick thing.

Another vote for Judo here.

I took it when I was a kid and loved it, until I forgot how to breakfall one day and snapped both the bones in my left forearm. But, uh, that’s neither here nor there.

I’m not sure Karate is a good choice for a kid, since there’s so much repetitive drilling, which I found really boring. Sparring tends to be deemphasised and frankly, it doesn’t seem like the most practical martial art to me. (Disclaimer: Except at high levels) (Another disclaimer: I’ve only done Shotokan). (And another: Maybe it was just my club).

Good things about Judo:

• Less repetition, more training feel and responsiveness.
  • Emphasis on sparring, but in a spirit of cooperative fun rather than punching each other.
  • Very practical, and teaches you how to stop someone without seriously hurting them, even if they’re much bigger than you.
  • Doesn’t lock any joints or involve explosive power.
  • Doesn’t require too much precise coordination - I can’t really imagine a young child getting anything useful out of practicing spin-kicks.

[ Edit: Apparently I can’t control my backspace key. ]
[ Edit again: No seriously, what is wrong with me? ]

My 8 yo boy could use some humility and peacefulness!!

My kid hasn’t had enough experience with the ground. Partly my fault. :blush:

Took my son to his first TKD class tonight. He was nervous but got into fast. I was nervous and got into it too. :slight_smile:

Can’t wait to see him in his little uniform thing. :slight_smile:

Thanks again for all the help folks.

i will agree with what others have said… judo, aikido and jiu-jitsu (did anyone mention that?) are better for kids…

firstly, as said… they are not so hard in their movements…

secondly, the styles are more defensive than aggressive… so therefore your child will be learning to defend themselves, not attack others…

thirdly, again… they are not as aggressive as such… the emotions that a child feels will affect them later in life… if they feel more aggression, then they will become more aggresive… this is from my own experiences… not sure if it’s 100% entirely true, but it seems to have worked like that with the kids i have seen…