Martial arts - schools,teachers

Two sources to try are:

groups.yahoo.com/group/aikidotaiwan
and or
heaven-earth.com/welcome.htm

If you can “cope” (read or speak) in Chinese there are a lot of other aikido dojo in Taiwan but you need to chinese language “google” them.

I found the folks on the yahoo aikidotaiwan group to be quite helpful when I was doing historical research on Japanese martial arts in Taiwan.

take care,
Brian

I know this is not on topic… but have any of you read the book “Angry White Pyjamas” by Robert Twigger? Its a very funny look at the author’s year in Japan doing Aikido training with the Japanese riot police.

You can get it in Page One in the 101 building.
Just thought you may be interested!

I’m gonna roll over to Andy’s new place on Sunday if anyone else what’s to check it out as well shoot me a message.

This is in response to Khan’s post, I’m also a foreigner in Taiwan, and I love martial arts. I’ve done some karate, some capoeira, a wee bit of Long Fist style of Kung Fu, and more recently Taekwondo.

Could you guys also post the cost of each school? I’m a student, not an english teacher, so I’m constantly hoping to get my next pay check so I may buy some food

[quote=“Dragonbones”][quote=“Steve Zodiac”]The problem with the following Web Site
http://www.karate.com.tw/JaJa/kr.html
is that it’s all in Chinese.
OK, I’m illiterate… my bad.
[/quote]

Select text. Paste into Word. Use tools/language/Chinese translation to convert to simplified characters.
Select result. Go to Google/ Google Links/Language tools. Paste into window, select translate ‘Simplified Chinese to English BETA’, hit translate. Voila! Now, use a little ingenuity matching it to the original, and you should be able to get enough leads to find a teacher. Hajime!

[/quote]

And to think, I’m the one that’s always advising editors and translators to use Babel fish when translating documents. :s

Oh well, as the Japanese say (in Japanese, of course): "When the pupil is ready, the teacher will appear. :slight_smile:
Domo Arigato Gozaimas, Sensei. :sunglasses:

Hi!
Please don’t write about translation or other staff !!!
This was created to write about kung-fu not other subjects.

Regards,
Hans

[quote=“khan”]Hi!
Please don’t write about translation or other staff !!!
This was created to write about kung-fu not other subjects.

Regards,
Hans[/quote]

Hans (and anybody else who cares)

I should probably let Dragonbones respond, but since this concerns two of my posts, I feel compelled to respond myself.

This forum – according to the name you gave it “Martial arts (kung fu,other) - schools, teachers” – is about martial arts, (武术, 武芸) including – but not limited to - kung fu /gongfu b.[/b]

Karate b[/b] is a martial art.

Dragonbones’ posts was in direct response to a question about a Web page that provides information about karate schools in Taiwan (臺灣 or 台灣) aka Formosa.

I noted that the Web page was entirely in Chinese/Mandarin (國語). Since most of us do NOT read Chinese, how then are we to make use of this page?

Dragonbones provided useful information on how to translate this Web page – a Web page about karate – into English so that we non-Chinese foreign ghosts (外國鬼魂) might be able to learn about the martial art of the Japanese ghosts (日本鬼魂).

So you see, these posts are not about “other staff.”
They are about martial arts.

And they form a legitimate and vital part of this forum discussion.

Because, the thing is, while there is a plethora of schools teaching the Korean( 韓國) martial art, taekwondo b, [/b]there are precious few places where one can learn karate, i.e dojo b.[/b]

This might be considered odd, given Taiwan’s Japanese history and the Taiwanese penchant for just about everything Japanese.

I am given to understand that there is one reason for this: Chiang Ching-kuo (蔣經國), late dictator and head of the secret police.

During his reign, Chiang was looking for a national sport that would embody the Republic of China’s (中華民國) “martial spirit.” A “martial sport”, if you like.

Karate, of course, was O-U-T because all Chiangs and Nationalists(中國國民黨) hated the Japanese (日本人) and everything to do with them.

On the other hand, they had nothing against the Koreans (韓國人) – in fact, they were united in their dislike of the Japanese – and taekwondo was already well on its way from martial art to competitive sport.

Abracadabra alakazam presto whammo: Taekwondo is Taiwan’s premier “maritial art.”

Irony number one: It’s easier to learn taekwondo here than it is to learn kung fu.

Irony number two: Taekwondo’s systemization and organization owes a lot to karate. In fact, one of the founders, General Choi Hong Hi, was a second-degree black belt in Shotokan karate and it was he who gave the modern Korean art its name.

Note: In Korean and Chinese, the name of this art is always the same 跆拳道.

But in English, whether it is supposed to be taekwondo or tae kwon do all depends on which style book or dictionary you’re using. It also depends on which of the feuding factions you belong to.

In Taiwan, most dojang (道場) and their teachers (先生) belong to the World Taekwondo Federation (WTF), the governing body for Olympic competition.

Anybody see the news item last night about someone wearing a T.F.K.C. jacket? My Chinese ability is quite appalling, so I couldn’t understand what was going on, but the pictures told an interesting story.

A bloke was caught on camera receiving a beating. One of the guys doing the beating was wearing a T.F.K.C. jacket (because it is good to advertise). News crew heads over to T.F.K.C. gym to have a discussion with them about what was going on.

Looked interesting, and more than slightly amusing (except for the dude being whaled on by a mob).

Can anyone clarify / correct / expand upon this?

Oh, it is times like these that I regret having killed my t.v. about 15 years ago. I missed seeing this important news item. I hope somebody did see it and knows the real story. I wonder was it part of the Great Airport Duke Out (featuring the KMT v. the DPP and extremely poor refereeing by the Airport cops

Kahna, by way of a “follow up investigation” on the story; I will ask around at the Taipei prosecutors office next week. I’ll see if any of Firebird’s minions are in criminal law trouble.

Det. Popeye Doyle Brian (name stolen from the great movie French Connection)

Hi,

I’m looking to join a kendo club in Kaohsiung, does anybody know of any?

Thanks very much,

Taitungknight

I think they do Kendo out at the University.

The spa, Blue Highway, (behind St. Dominic’s High School) has a class also.

Thanks!

I heard talk from one of my private students that there is a kung fu school near Wanlong MRT Roosevelt Road section 5 that teaches 8 step mantis.

Anybody got experience with this guy or know where it actually is? Sorry to be a bit vague but thats all I have to go on.
I guess he is a Taiwanese teacher… does anybody know what his English level is like?

Thanks in advance

Your student is right. The teacher, who is often in Taiwan Wu Lin magazine, teaches 8 Step Mantis, Wei Style Taiji (a style of taiji that I have never heard of) and qi gong. The guy’s phone number is 2933-9651. His school is on Roosevelt section 6 (six!) number 66.

I know nothing about him, his skill or his english ability.

A great resouce for people looking for traditional chinese martial arts in Taiwan is to go check out Lion Martial Arts bookstore. They have lots of information on local teachers. But you need to speak Chinese or have someone with you who can.

Lion books is at Chung Ching South Road, Section 1, No.57 on the 9th floor, room 3 (off the elevator, turn left, all the way down the hall).
Their phone number is 2370-6154.

take care,
Brian

Excellent thanks for that Brian.

I learned quite a few styles in my teens, Wing Chun, Tiger and Crane, a little bit of escrima, and Shukokai Karate… but have always been most interested in the animal styles… I’ll definitely check out the bookstore… as I would also like to find a guy that teaches monkey style… well one or the other if you get what I mean.

Thanks again

Let me make another recommendation. There is a guy named James Yeh who is a graduate of Chinese Culture University’s martial arts program. James speaks excellent english, teaches in english and is (I am told, I have never met him in person) a great guy and a very skilled martial artist.

James teaches the Shaolin 5 Animal system (a.k.a. Hung Gar) and he teaches both the Taiwanese version and the Cantonese version. Unlike many local martial arts teachers who do not really know much about their art, James really knows the details of how his hung gar works. A good friend of mine studies with James and speaks highly of him. And my friend has been around chinese martial arts quite a bit.

James can be reached at 093-203-9015 or via email at:
tw.kungfu@gmail.com

take care,
Brian

I learnt various Kung fu styles for 5 years such as WinChun, Hungar(Tiger), Kuan Shu, Taiji, QiGung, and various weapon styles. I practiced at Shaolin Martial Arts Centre in South Africa [url]http://www.shaolin.co.za/

Anyone know of any Kung Fu School in or around Hsinchu/Chutung?I want to continue my learning.[/url]

Here’s the schedule of beginning-intermediate level Mixed Martial Arts classes for the Taipei Mixed Martial Arts and Kung-fu Gym, which is located at 4 F, Section 3, 138 Roosevelt Rd:

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday nights: 7:30 - 9:00+ pm

Daytime advanced classes for students with adequate martial arts experience are also offered.

If you’re interested in learning practical MMA-style kickboxing or grappling without a Gi, this school is awesome.

For more info call Gordon Preston (the instructor) at 0922-176-141.

[quote=“brianlkennedy”]Let me make another recommendation. There is a guy named James Yeh who is a graduate of Chinese Culture University’s martial arts program. James speaks excellent English, teaches in English and is (I am told, I have never met him in person) a great guy and a very skilled martial artist.

James teaches the Shaolin 5 Animal system (a.k.a. Hung Gar) and he teaches both the Taiwanese version and the Cantonese version. Unlike many local martial arts teachers who do not really know much about their art, James really knows the details of how his hung gar works. A good friend of mine studies with James and speaks highly of him. And my friend has been around Chinese martial arts quite a bit.

James can be reached at 093-203-9015 or via email at:
tw.kungfu@gmail.com

take care,
Brian[/quote]

Hi!
I wrote to him, it’s his prices and lessons. Personally I think a bit too expensive:

CHENKUNG HONG QUAN MARTIAL ARTS SCHOOL
Class Schedule
 Group Lesson
Tuesday 19:00 ~ 21:00
Thursday 19:00 ~ 21:00
Saturday 10:00 ~ 12:00
 Private Lesson Please negotiate with instructor!

Tuition
 Group Lesson
Once a week NT 2,000 per month (4 Lessons, expiry for 2 months)
Twice a week NT 3,500 per month (8 Lessons, expiry for 3 months)
3 times a week NT 4,500 per Month (12 Lessons, expiry for 4 months)
 Private Lesson
1 on 1 NT 1,000 per lesson (1.5hr).
2 on 1 NT 700 per lesson (1.5hr) for each person.

Class Requirements
Kung Fu pants NT 350
Kung Fu belt NT 150
School T-Shirt NT 300

P.S. All students will get a school t-shirt when they pay first month tuition. Students who join 3-times-a-week or twice-a-week lesson will get a pair of kung fu pants & a belt for free. Students who join once a week lesson will get the pants & belt for free if they pay two month tuition in advance.

Somewhere near Technology Building MRT station