Mary Jane's Pizza. The Reggae Lounge. Yeah

Hi! I have been a student here in Taipei for nearly 8 months now. I’ve already graduated from university and plan to go on to graduate school here in Taiwan at NTU. I don’t teach English and unfortunately do not have very many “foreign” friends (e.g., fellow westerners).

So what exactly is my post about?

Well, I am wondering if anyone has ever heard about people who smoke here in Taipei or Taipei county. I’m not talking about tobacco. I don’t want to go against the rules of this forum nor would I want to offend anyone here with this topic, so I won’t go into specifics. I’m just curious if it’s possible here. As I mentioned, I am not a teacher, so I am not worried about health tests nor would I be a bad influence on any young students or anything of that nature.

This is purely something personal. I enjoy getting a little intoxicated every once in a while, but quite dislike drinking alcohol.

Has anyone ever heard about “a friend of a friend” who was able to pull this off here, perhaps by just asking the right people? If I am going to continuing remaining here for another 2-4 years, I’d like to know what my options might be.

[color=#400080]Much appreciated![/color]

Hi, admin here. Welcome to Forumosa. This is a topic that can easily cross the line, so I’ll tell you what I know, and then I’m locking the thread. The ROC has very strict laws when it comes to drugs. What would be a slap on the wrist at home could easily be a fast exit/deportation if you’re lucky, and jail time if you’re not.

That being said, I know of people in Taiwan, both foreign and local, who have indulged in their habit for many, many years. It isn’t something I’d recommend, but I understand where you’re coming from. I think any follow-up questions would be best saved for when you meet a friend that has lived here long enough to know the scene. Although at eight months, you’re not really a newbie here anymore.

Err on the side of caution, is my advice.