Ma's visit to Taiping (Itu Aba) Island - and after

today’s Taipei Times:

DPP says declined island invite out of respect
taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003638408

Presidential Office blasts Tsai Ying-wen for criticism
taipeitimes.com/News/front/a … 2003638464

I really don’t get this criticism over Ma Ying-jeou’s “provocative” visit to Taiping (outside Taiwan known as Itu Aba) Island. The USA harshly condemned the visit, along with a few DPP members. Tsai Yingwen seems to be wishy-washy on the issue. Is the DPP mainstream against Ma’s visit? I do recall that Chen Shuibian also visited during his reign, and in fact he arrived on one of those newly (at that time) commissioned Kidd (Keelung) Class destroyers that Taiwan bought for show. I should think that was a whole lot more provocative.

Whether or not Taiwan should have military forces on Taiping Island is perhaps a topic worthy of discussion. Personally, I think it is worth keeping at least a small military contingent there, because if the Taiwanese leave the Chinese military will almost certainly move quickly to occupy the island. This happens to be the largest island in the South China Sea, so Taiwan is in a rather unique position as a sort of moderator, not looking to expand it’s claims or keep other nations out of the area. I don’t think Taiwan should go to war over this tiny island, but I doubt that would ever happen, unless of course Taiwan declares independence in which case I expect China to move in quickly and take over, and thus gain a major base to expand their claims over the entire region. If anything, I should think that the USA would be pleased that the Taiwanese military has not abandoned Taiping Island.

The only real criticism I have over Ma’s visit is that he waited this long. He probably should have made a trip to the island an annual thing (perhaps every Chinese New Year), saying hello to the troops, encouraging and praising them for their sacrifice and loyalty, the usual patriotic stuff that presidents say, etc etc.

I’m not sure what the TI consensus is on this issue. In the past, the more radical TI’ers have advocated abandoning Jinmen and Matsu, because technically they are part of Fujian Province. However, in recent years they’ve been silent about this.

So is President Tsai going to abandon Taiwan’s claim, and thus forfeit Taiping Island to China? Or is she going to leave things as they are? Or militarily fortify the area even more? I don’t recall that she ever said anything about this (or much else) in her campaign, but in just a few months it’s all going to get dumped her her lap.

Good post. I really don’t get the issue either as surely the US would want Taiwan to maintain as many islands as they can. Then again, the US is always angry when Taiwan does what is best.

I hope Tsai Ing-wen takes symbolic and legal steps to renounce any claim over these islands. After all, why should she perpetuate the colonial regime of the Qing Dynasty and ROC? “Tai-oan” has no business on these islands. :smiley:

It’s my understanding that Tsai recognizes the ROC:

[quote]Tsai’s presence at a national flag-raising ceremony came two days after she unexpectedly declared at a presidential campaign rally in Kaohsiung that “Taiwan is the R.O.C., the R.O.C. is Taiwan, the R.O.C. government today is the government of Taiwan.”[/quote]–CNA, “Tsai attends flag-raising as DPP aims to foster unity,” China Post, October 11, 2011

The only logical claim for Taiwan to have a stake in Itu Aba (Taiping) and the rest of the Spratly islands is that prior to WW2 Japan had actual control of the Spratly islands, and specifically placed Taiping island under Taiwan’s jurisdiction. Therefore after Japan renouncing its sovereignty over Taiwan and the Spratly islands, without specifying the recipient of these territories, Spratly islands’ sovereignty should be undetermined along with Taiwan’s sovereignty. Currently, the islands should be under Taiwan’s administration.

It’s my understanding that Tsai recognizes the ROC:

That’s always been the view of DPP moderates, that Taiwan and the ROC are the same entity.

A nice detailed report from the NY Times on Taiwan’s presence on Itu Aba (aka Taiping) and its attempt to use soft power and the discourse of humanitarianism to bolster its claims:

Guy

2 Likes