Masala Dosas

[b]
Namaste,

Are there any restaurants serving up masala dosas on the island? Or does anybody have a good recipe? I’ve tried to make ‘em many times but I just end up burnin’ 'em or they don’t get crispy. :help:

Or better yet, are there any South Indian chefs out there who be willing to teach me the Art of the Dosa?

Dhanyavaad.

[/b]

Not the same but could at least help to curb your craving: Athula’s Sri Lankan rotis in Bitan. He mixes curry powder into his roti dough and cooks them soft, unlike the bread-like northern rotis.

[b]

Thanks Sandman, but where exactly is this “Exclusive Resort Area of Sunny Bitan”? I’m kind of a hermit not used to venturing out but where ever Athula’s Sri Lankan rotis is, I’m stoked to go check it out!

Go to Hsintien Station, which is the very last stop on the MRT green line. Go through the turnstile, turn left out of the station and left again, which takes you along to the suspension footbridge. Can’t miss it. Athula sets up just past the entrance to the bridge, opposite the 7-11. Bet you can’t eat just one. Tell him Sandy sent ya.

[b]
Sweet as…Sandman! Thanks a bunch. Next time I head north my first stop’ll definitely be Athula’s roti stand. I drive by Xindian everytime I go to the North East Coast on the #3. I’ll be crankin’ up the Hindi Pop for that road trip let me tell ya!!! I’ll for sure tell 'em you sent me and I’ll let you know how it went!

Vegannabis[/b]

Gawd I want to gloat about the masala dosas here in HK, but I’m better than that, I simply won’t!

HG

No worries Huang Guang Chen-gloat if you must…dosas are DAMN GOOD! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm…dosas!!!

Although…HK is just over the Taiwan Straight…tickets are cheap right now…maybe I’ll fly over for the weekend and fill up on dosas!!! :bulb: Hmmmmmmmmmm…???

Then you could do a lot worse than going to Kaza Khazanna in Wanchai for the vego banquet - Southern Indian, and includes a fresh cooked masala dosa, sambar and coconut chutney - but you certainly couldn’t do much better.

Khana Khazana
1/F Dannies House
20 Luard Road, Wan Chai. HK.

HG

I want to try the recipe on this website:

menutoday.blogspot.com/2006/01/a … html#links

Good God…that dosa looks soooooooooooooooo good! Now I’ve got "kou-shway’ dripping all over my key board…YIKES!

I’m gonna head over to that… [quote]Trinity Super Stores
2/F, No.137 Zhongxiao East Road, Sec.5
Taipei, Taiwan, R.O.C.
Tel : 02-2756 7992 Fax : 02-2756 8042
[/quote] …and grab the spices I need and whip me up some dosas!

That is a killer recipe site Rat Brain [quote]http://menutoday.blogspot.com/2006/01/as-promised-here-we-go-for-crispy-dosa.html#links[/quote]

Do you have all the ingredients yet? Have you tried anything else out from that blog? Those Idilies are next on my list.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Then you could do a lot worse than going to Kaza Khazanna in Wanchai for the vego banquet - Southern Indian, and includes a fresh cooked masala dosa, sambar and coconut chutney - but you certainly couldn’t do much better.

Khana Khazana
1/F Dannies House
20 Luard Road, Wan Chai. HK.

HG[/quote]
I’ll have to check that place out the next time I’m in Honkers.

You HK guys also have Ben & Jerry’s… Mmmmmmm… Ben & Jerry’s… :homer:

I did not try making those dosa’s yet, i had one of those pre-made mix boxes so i wanted to use that up first. I also made potato-onion bhaji for the dosa filling using the recipe at this website (but i added cumin to it as well):

angelfire.com/country/fauzia … bhaji.html

and sambhar at this website
mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_dis … d=%2010020

this dosa recipe seems like alot of work, though…