Mascarpone?

Here we go. We invited some of our friends over to our new appartment and now everybody is expecting me to cook something european. I can’t even cook…that’s the first problem.
But here we come to my second problem. Where do I find the ingredients for a real european dish?
Well, I figured Jasons 101 would be the place and I guess I was right. I was planning to make a Tiramisu, but once I found Mascarpone, I changed my plan quite quickly.
Has anybody every noticed how expensive that stuff is here??? Who the hell is willing to pay 400 NT for a little Mascarpone!!! :shock:
Sorry friends, it’s going to be Panna cotta then tonight… :laughing:

Q: What does Mesheel make for dinner?

A: Reservations! :mrgreen:

I have a recipe somewhere for Mascarpone. We have made our own Mascarpone several times to make Tiramisu and it always turns out great.

I’ll look around for that recipe and post it.

Oh…that would just be great. I never thought of doing it myself. As I said, I can’t really cook. But I love to eat

google.com/search?hl=en&ie=U … gle+Search

google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& … gle+Search

thanks…I have found some recepies in the meantime. sounds a little complicated though. but who knows, i might just try it someday soon…

thanks…

mesheel,

You can buy great big tubs of it at Costco for about $250 or so. Tht’s also where I buy the great big jars (i mean huge) of artichokes for $100. I noticed they have mammoth tubs of cottage cheese at Costco as well these days, but I haven’t had it in a long time, and i’ve gone off it. That and sour cream. Doubt I’ll ever put either of them in my mouth again.

It’s funny how you go off dairy products after a number of years. The only cheese I eat with any regularity at all is feta (preferrably danish).
In Italy last summer the buffalo mozzarella was to die for. But toto told me I’m not in Italy anymore, so it just doesn’t have the same taste.
I guess it’s the lack of proper decent tomatoes.

In the meantime I have found a receipe for mascarpone. Sounds a little complicated though and I am not sure, if I will ever try it. Maybe I’ll just wait until I have a job before I cook all these delicious things with expensive ingredients.

Alien, I would die for a real joghurt here in Taiwan and the milk doesn’t really taste like back home either…I guess I have to start to write a list with things I want people to bring over from :moo: -country when they come visit me… :shock:

[quote=“mesheel”]Alien, I would die for a real joghurt here in Taiwan and the milk doesn’t really taste like back home either…[/quote]Do you think that Taiwanese milk smells ? Mrs Fluffy won’t believe me when I say it smells. If that’s the case, try Foremost milk, that to me is like milk back home (But my home is different from yours) and doesn’t smell to me.

Speaking of food ingredients that are hard to find in Taiwan, I was wondering whether anyone has found powdered mashed potato mix in Taiwan, other than at Costco.

Also how about relish, tartar sauce, cocktail sauce, and worcestershire sauce?

[quote=“Mark Nagel”]Speaking of food ingredients that are hard to find in Taiwan, I was wondering whether anyone has found powdered mashed potato mix in Taiwan, other than at Costco.

Also how about relish, tartar sauce, cocktail sauce, and worcestershire sauce?[/quote]
Instant Smash? Eeew! Various relishes, pickles and chutneys can be got at Tesco (Taoyuan) and possibly Jasons. Tartar sauce? Don’t know. Cocktail sauce? What’s that? Worcestershire sauce can be got at Tesco, Jasons, Florida (usually) and even some Wellcomes if you’re lucky.

Yes…milk here smells. I can’t drink most of the milk here. Luckily it doesn’t taste that bad, when you eat cornflakes…
I have to check out the joghurts at Jasons yet. I miss my chocolate joghurt… :?

Hold your nose and knock it back :smiley:

There is a small market in the Shida area that sells marcarpone for about half of what Jason’s charges. That’s where my girlfriend found it last week prior to making me a lovely tiramisu for Valentines Day. Unfortunately, I don’t know the name of the shop but apparently carries a lot of imported items. I’ll post the name if I can get it out of her.

That would be great. The receipes I’ve found sound pretty complicated. Reminds me of cheese making back home…as if every Swiss would know, how to make cheese…=)

Sounds like the Mami store, which is located a few lanes from Gandma Nitti’s lane going toward Roosevelt.

I know it’s an old thread, but I wanted to update this and get it moved to the right forum area so people can find it when needed. And by the way, it’s also available at the places listed below; the cheapest source I know of is Costco:

P&P: MASCARPONE, GALBANI 馬斯卡邦 500G/PC (I don’t know the price)
Costco: NT$195/500g
The Minquan bridge DIY baking store: $250/ 500g
The Donghu DIY baking store has it too.

Others have reported seeing it at City Super, Wellman’s and so on.

There’s a cooking class this weekend at the Tree Cafe (Xizhi) where they teach how to make tiramisu. I would expect them to teach how to make mascarpone as they usually do things all the way from scratch in their classes. If anyone is interested I’ll find out. Or just call them. (treecafe.com.tw).

Edit: Yeah, they are teaching it from scratch, but the class is fully booked. :frowning:

[quote=“Mark Nagel”]Speaking of food ingredients that are hard to find in Taiwan, I was wondering whether anyone has found powdered mashed potato mix in Taiwan, other than at Costco.

Also how about relish, tartar sauce, cocktail sauce, and worcestershire sauce?[/quote]

Powdered mashed potato mix is food??? Geroff!!! Worcestershire sauce is available almost everywhere.