Mass Immigration

Yeah of course

Australian music :+1: :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

tis true. Australia used to have a vibrant aborigine culture. Then boatloads of dodgy immigrants from the British Isles put paid to the original cutlure.

8 Likes

I’m not so concerned with import of basic culture like food, sports, music, language. I think most people would agree those things are positive. But the important things like way of life is major. If people coming into my country believe that a totalitarian regime is best and that’s what they advocate for, I would be very worried.

Taiwan would be an example of how mass immigration went wrong. And I’m not just talking about aboriginals in Taiwan. Many people like my family have been living in Taiwan before CKS and his people came. I think people forget that and this aspect is not well understood when people talk about the history of Taiwan when I see people try to explain the geopolitics of Taiwan.

2 Likes

I always noticed this when news media lazily says “Taiwan is considered a breakaway province when the 1900s Chinese fled China to Taiwan blah blah” without putting any emphasis on who and what Taiwan was before that time.

3 Likes

I’d like a world where you could go and live in any country at will if you met minimum education and health requirements and had no police record.

1 Like

Were you one of those people complaining about Chinese buying up Sydney?

No. I’ve never even been to Sydney.

I meant OP.

For a long time I think we were just overseas poms with a funny accent. I think a sense of nationality didn’t really start to develop until about 150 years ago or less. It’s interesting that despite the geographical range, the accent seems more or less the same across the country, only varying in its intensity. I wonder how long it took the accent to develop.

Who looks at governments around the world and thinks let’s make it even smaller and weaker?- Somalia or Afghanistan is your ideal?
330 million people live in the United States, which would seem insanely large to our ancestors- presumably you’d like to see it look like the Holy Roman Empire?

I don’t think so
Although apparently that’s a bit of a problem

Turned out well for the aborigines innit

?

Maybe don’t presume so much. Doesn’t lead to a good conversation. So I’m not even going to engage.

Not me, for one. Many people argue that Japan and South Korea need to open their borders and become less insular and ethnocentric (polite word for “racist”).
As for China, it has 1.3 billion people already and nobody wants to live there. If in twenty years it throws open its borders to say, people from Africa (I’m trying to think of some place where China would look like a good option) I’d be in favor.

1 Like

could turn out well for Australians 200 years later.

1 Like

Are you serious?

No.
I’m pointing out why that’s a poor argument, if that’s what it’s meant to be.

Yeah those native Australians from UK. Gotta keep the population pure. Cultures change get over it.

1 Like