Mass Killings in Canada - When does it end?

thescotsman.scotsman.com/interna … 1708742006
CANADA’s annual seal cull sees animals killed on an almost industrial scale, and attracts controversy to match.

This year’s cull is estimated to have killed 354,000 of the animals, above the Canadian government’s own prediction of 325,000.

The 2006 killing season was the third straight year where the death toll exceeded 300,000. More than a million seals have been killed since 2004. Some are shot, others are beaten with clubs or heavy spiked hakapiks.

Canadians Killers Stalk This Poor Little Seal…sanctioned by the Canadian Government !!!

Aside from the fact that they are cute little furry baby creatures, there is a reason to cull them. Economic reasons.

Anyway, I’m not opposed to humane methods of environmental stewardship, but the way they do it is pretty sick. I don’t have a better way.

No, no. They used to stalk that poor little white seal. White fur’s more valuable. But they got too much bad press. Now they can only take the older animals that have already molted and turned gray.

Not that it matters much; it’s a nasty business.

Now, if you want to post about a REALLY nasty Canadian business, look up asbestos mining, use and export regulations. It’s mined in Quebec, but largely illegal for use in Canada. It’s nearly all exported to third world nations.

Now, get this: because it was used for insulation in the Parliament buildings, you can’t even stick a thumb tack in the wall. Worse yet, the current Agriculture Minister has developed terminal lung cancer, likely as a result of working with brake pads on logging trucks, but his colleagues around the cabinet table continue (as did past gov’ts) to block international efforts to regulate the asbestos trade.

Cancer rates in the mining towns are significantly above average, but most of those affected will be the poor sods overseas.

How’s that for disgraceful?

[quote=“Jaboney”]No, no. They used to stalk that poor little white seal. White fur’s more valuable. But they got too much bad press. Now they can only take the older animals that have already molted and turned gray.

Not that it matters much; it’s a nasty business. [/quote]Start your own Canada bashing thread.
We’re talking Seal Whoppers here, eh?

extra lettuce and TWO slices of tomato on mine, if you please …

i miss BK sometimes

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :bravo:

Let us all agree right now: Baby harp seals – those doe-eyed sausagelike bundles of puffy white blubber – are just phenomenally, face-meltingly cute. So adorable and so helpless and so sweet-looking it’s like God took Bambi and sawed off all his legs and put him in a white fluffy parka and crossbred him with a puppy and a cherub and a Marshmallow Peep and tossed him out onto the Arctic ice to pose for Polar Baby Gap. I mean, cute…

rest of the article here:

sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c … 040706.DTL

I think I’m going to put an American flag on my backpack so I’m not confused for being on of those baby seal club’n barbarians – insert sarcastic wink here

greenpeace.org/canada/en/cam … and-espa-a

Greenpeace & South Park expose more mass slaughter in Canada!

Let’s see: clubbing baby seals, asbestos hypocrisy, bottom trolling. Can we get arms sales, mining companies, clear cutting, and conditions on native reservations in here too?

This from Fisheries and Oceans Canada

[quote]Myth #3: The club – or hakapik – is a barbaric and inhumane tool that has no place in today’s world.
Reality: Hunting methods were studied by the Royal Commission on Seals and Sealing in Canada and it found that the clubbing of seals, when properly performed, is at least as humane as, and often more humane than, the killing methods used in commercial slaughterhouses, which are accepted by the majority of the public. [/quote]

dfo-mpo.gc.ca/seal-phoque/myth_e.htm