Master’s in National Taiwan University of Science and Technology (NTUST)?

Hi all!

I’m from Indonesia and will be going to Taiwan to study Mandarin Chinese with the Huayu Enrichment Scholarship, and it made me interested in applying for a master’s with the MoE Scholarship so I can continue studying in Taiwan after my HES program ends.

Since I plan to apply for an English-taught program, the options for my field of study (graphic design) are quite limited, so the only program that I’m interested in is Master of Design at the National Taiwan University of Science and Technology. I’m wondering if anyone has studied this program, or studied any master’s program at NTUST, and would like to share their experience?

I’m also wondering if anyone knows how competitive is it to get into NTUST or public universities in Taiwan in general as an international student? Do you think it’s better to apply to at least to one or two other universities just in case I don’t get accepted there?

Thanks in advance!

NTUST for better or worse has the most ratio of foreign students to local students in the graduate school.
There is a foreign student for every local student in graduate programs.

Most foreign students are coming from Indonesia, Vietnam and India. Very few coming from other countries. Indonesians and Vietnamese have their own student association and their own cultural event every year. You either hear people saying “jancuk” or “concad” every day.

If you looking for the experience of meeting foreign students, enriching your cultural sense, try NTU instead. You will hear “puta”, “scheisse”, “sacre bleu” more often.

Almost every university in Taiwan has English graduate programs. From Tamkang University, NTOU up north to NPUST or NSYSU down south or NTTU far east, all have English program of some sort.
STEM programs almost always officially English but in practice Chinese with English text books, due to most locals who spoke English are in humanities or arts or social science programs.

Some uni have primarily Central/South American students (example MingChuan) or African students (example NTUT).

Don’t go to NCTU or NTHU in Hsinchu. The gain not worth the effort for foreigners. Most foreign students here would be easily getting good grades without studying, just make sure you have your own text book, as most exams are open books.

2 Likes