Master's Degree but no Bachelor's

Hello Friends. I have taught English in Mainland China off and on since 2000. I would love to teach and live in Taiwan. I have a unique situation and am not sure how to handle this. I have a Master’s Degree in Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine from an accredited college in California. The requirements to get into the school was 2.5 years undergrad and take the science prerequisites. The school was 3.5 years, so there was no need for a Bachelor’s degree. I went straight to the Master’s.

I sent in my degree to the San Francisco Taiwan Consulate degree place thing and they sent it back approved and signed by some Taiwanese official.

So what do I do?

I have the experience for English teaching. I speak Chinese quite well. I have a Master’s Degree approved by some type of Taiwanese degree department but no Bachelor’s Degree.

When submitting documents for a visa will they ask for both Bachelor’s and Master’s? Do I tell the school upfront? Do I use a fake bachelor and a real master’s? (Just thought I’d ask) Do I just say straight away my situation?

One school gave me a phone interview and wanted to hire me. I choked and told them I had a BA and a Master’s. I didn’t know what else to say. They told me suburb outside of Taipei Taoyuan I think. They said 65,000 a month.

What salary is an acceptable range for English teaching there?

I’d appreciate any help and I hope to have a beer with all of you in Taiwan one day.

Master > Bachelor.

as for papers, you won’t have any problems getting a work permit.

the only problem might come from school that would be reluctant to hire a Master’s degree graduate, since it would be more expensive to them.

Thank you for your response.

How do I go about doing this? Just be honest right off the bat? I guess it’s too late to tell that one school I don’t have a Bachelor’s huh? Do they check Bachelor’s degree to make sure they are legit?

Assuming that the ARC process takes the highest degree attained, which sounds plausible but I don’t know for sure, then you just need to say that you’ve lost your bachelor’s and it will take months to get a new, notarized copy. However, you do have a copy of your master’s which has been TECO approved. I’d be surprised if anyone asks any questions.

Erh faking it is forgery and fraud and is taken very seriously here. If caught possible punishment could be jail and deportation or maybe just cancellation of ARC and deportation. Because so many used fake degrees to get jobs here before they do check more often now.

Just tell them exactly what you have and submit your masters degree copy which has already been notorized.

You have no need to “fake it”

I agree. Thanks. I just wanted to know for sure. I wouldn’t be a fraud.

The Master’s degree has been signed and authorized by the Taiwan Economic and Cultural Office of San Francisco. The put a nice little ROC stamp on it too.

Any other advice?

Just don’t ever mention the bachelor’s.
When anyone says the word “degree”, offer the Master’s degree.
If they press, tell them it was a “combined” degree program that awarded only the Master’s, and that TECO has approved it.

I would suggest that you ensure your masters is from an institution that is recognized by the MOE here (not sure what you mean by degree place thing).

In my experience in dealing with TECO, they simply authenticate the document is real. This does not mean it will be recognized here. There is a list of institutions recognized and I believe the link is somewhere on this website.

When I got married I needed documents. A lawyer notarized, then the high court confirmed that the lawyer was indeed a notary. I even think foreign affairs put a stamp on it. Only then did the TECO stamp. They are more concerned with authentication as real, as opposed to acceptable.

Not trying to be negative in any way but it is worth checking.

Ironlady that is excellent advice! Thank you very much!

My main concern is I get a job lined up before I come to Taiwan. Then I am in Taiwan and submitting documents to the visa people and get denied because I don’t have a bachelor’s degree. I guess it really all depends on that specific branch of gov’t, right?

Bigduke it was authorized by TECO. That was what I meant by degree place thing.

So that is good to know that that is not enough. If a school is not listed on MOE you can’t get a work visa in Taiwan to teach? I will look for that list now.

[quote=“Acujer”]Bigduke it was authorized by TECO. That was what I meant by degree place thing.

So that is good to know that that is not enough. If a school is not listed on MOE you can’t get a work visa in Taiwan to teach? I will look for that list now.[/quote]

Yes, correct. TECO are only concerned with authentication. They do not care what the document is for.

I am looking for the list. Any links?

So if the school is not on the MOE list it’s a definite no-go?

[quote=“bigduke6”][quote=“Acujer”]Bigduke it was authorized by TECO. That was what I meant by degree place thing.

So that is good to know that that is not enough. If a school is not listed on MOE you can’t get a work visa in Taiwan to teach? I will look for that list now.[/quote]

Yes, correct. TECO are only concerned with authentication. They do not care what the document is for.[/quote]

That’s funny considering what I sent them was a copy I made on a copy machine. I didn’t send them my real diploma. Just the copy. They authenticated a copy as real?

I think they check these days. A copy is just as good for that purpose. People have been known to fake originals anyway.

Should I just show up and find a job once I’m in Taiwan?

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=99595

Clicked on the link but couldn’t find the list.

So you are telling me noone teaches English in Taiwan legally if their degree is not from a school on the list?

[quote=“Acujer”]Clicked on the link but couldn’t find the list.

So you are telling me noone teaches English in Taiwan legally if their degree is not from a school on the list?[/quote]

Try the link on the second post.

You can’t get a work visa if the degree isn’t on the list.

I see 15 schools in all of the US listed in only Chinese. Is this the list you are talking about?

That’s the best I can do for you, mate. darktoad followed CharlieJack’s instructions and it answered his question. I’ve no idea if there is a list in English available anywhere. You could contact the MOE directly and ask them if your university is accepted. Maybe if you tell us the name of the university someone on here may know.

Sorry I can’t be of more help. Good luck.