Master's Degree but no Bachelor's

WARNING: This post is going to drone on and on, and may leave you no better informed than you were before.

All boldfacing and italicizing were done by me.

[quote=“Earlier in this thread, I”]. . . I’m not a hundred percent certain that such a list or lists exist.[/quote] Master's Degree but no Bachelor's - #25 by Charlie_Jack

[quote=“Also in this thread, tomthorne”]The Ministry of Education does have a list of accredited universities which it checks against when the cram school manager sends a copy of the teacher’s degree certificate when applying for a work visa.[/quote] Master's Degree but no Bachelor's - #27 by tomthorne

[quote=“In another thread, PigBloodCake”]I don’t think they have a list. However, the MOE does have a regulation with articles mentioning that the applicant must submit a Letter of Consent on the authorization of an examination into whether the institution where he/she receives the degree from is accredited in its home country.

Here’s the URL: english.moe.gov.tw/content.asp?CuItem=7364&mp=1[/quote] Which degrees are recognized? - #5 by PigBloodCake

In the same post, PigBloodCake then quotes the English translation of Article 7 of the regulation he refers to. The translation of that article lays out the process of getting a school approved by the MOE. (By the way, thanks for the link to the regulation, PigBloodCake.)

Interestingly, the English translation of Article 8 of that same regulation refers to a list. The English translation of Article 8 calls this list “the ROC Ministry of Education’s reference list”:

[quote]Article 8
Terms and conditions for recognition of academic credentials awarded in foreign countries:

The diploma shall be awarded by an academic institution listed in the ROC Ministry of Education’s reference list. Those not listed in the reference list shall be accredited by the foreign government concerned or foreign accreditation agencies.

The term of study and curriculum shall be the same as those prescribed by the equivalent ROC academic institutions.[/quote] english.moe.gov.tw/content.asp?CuItem=7364&mp=1

So I guess there is a list. The next question would be [b]whether the list/b on the Education USA website is (are) the MOE’s reference list for foreigners desiring employment as teachers in cram schools.

WaltzingMatilda looked at the list on the site of Education USA, at educationusa.tw/dispPageBox/ … =USTUDYAHD , and made an interesting comment:

[quote]From looking at this page, it seems that it is just a list of US universities compiled by Fulbright - basically a portal for Taiwanese students interested in studying in the US.[/quote] Master's Degree but no Bachelor's - #38 by WaltzingMatilda

Indeed, that’s what it appears to be–a list of universities compiled by Fulbright.

WaltzingMatilda concluded:

Maybe WaltzingMatilda is right. Maybe the Education USA list is not a Taiwan government list of approved schools. However, I arrived at that list (or those lists) via a link on the Ministry of Education’s Bureau of International Cultural and Educational Relations website: edu.tw/bicer/content.aspx?si … nt_sn=8487

And to arrive at that list from the the Bureau’s homepage, one would click a link entitled “外國大學參考名冊 [Reference List of Foreign Universities].” On the page thus arrived at, the phrase “reference list” (“參考名冊”) appears more than 80 times. In one instance this phrase is linked to the Education USA website lists.

On one of the pages of the Education USA website, the site refers to itself as

[quote]. . . UStudy留美線上輔導網站」,除提供準備留美的完整資訊外,更規劃留美線上資料庫,收納教育部認可美國大專院校參考名冊及美國各大學台灣同學會資料庫。[/quote] educationusa.tw/dispPageBox/ … =USTUDYAA&

Google Translate renders the above Chinese as

It should be borne in mind that the regulation that PigBloodCake links to–the one that I quoted in part in this post–refers to Taiwanese students intending to study abroad, and that the list it refers to seems to be mainly for purposes related to Taiwanese students who wish to study abroad.

So I’m still not sure the list I linked to earlier is the right list, and I want to emphasize my uncertainty. But I think it might be the right list, or that it might coincide with the right list.

All the above having been said, Acujer, I think it would be wise to try hard to get information from the government about your degree’s status (in their eyes) before coming over here. My coming over here was a kind of dice roll. I’m not advising anyone to do it that way, and I’m not advising anyone not to do it that way. But I’ll just say that getting information in advance, if such advance information can be gotten, is a good idea.