Masters in Chinese Studies/Chinese Medicine

Does anyone know of a decent Master’s course in Chinese/Asian studies or Chinese/Oriental medicine in Taiwan?? One that’s accepted by Universities back in the states. Appreciate any help/advice.

Nordy

P.s… :smiley:

Not sure about Chinese medicine … but you can apply to most Chinese literature and history programs here. You’d have to pass the entrance exam (not easy) and have a high level of written Chinese, but it’s doable. The entrance exams for NTU are coming up in March (I think).

Hello this is my first post here…

I am also interested in Masters courses in Taiwan, but not in Asian studies.
In terms of acceptance in the States, NTU, Qinghua and the Culture University came out best in the Shanghai Jiaotong University World University rankings.

Does anyone know of any foreigners who aren’t native speakers of Chinese passing the entrance exam for NTU and taking a Masters in Chinese for a subject such as history or science?

I would be really grateful too if anyone can tell me about graduate student life there compared to the UK… e.g. more classes/less classes per week, how many sets of exams a year do you have…etc. (I have emailed NTU-no replies so far but then they are probably having a good laugh at my Chinese)

Sorry for not being helpful to the op…

I’m doing a Master’s at NTU in Chinese Literature. Besides the entrance exam, we don’t have any exams and the course load is pretty light, an average of 9 credits per semester (3 classes). Professors usually require one final paper rather than an exam. Of course you still have to write your thesis, and at least in my department, there are qualifying exams as well which you need to take in your second year before you can apply to take the exam for your thesis. Since Chinese history and literature are so closely related, I’ve had quite a few history grad students in my classes, and it seems to be about the same for them … not sure about science though. The best thing to do would be to check out the web pages for the departments you are interested in. They usually have information for foreign students there. As far as e-mail replies, unless you send them in Chinese, I wouldn’t expect a reply … the Chinese staff at NTU doesn’t seem to speak much English.

EDIT: I just checked out NTU’s history department web page. Looks as though the history department doesn’t require an entrance exam, just an application and interview. Their website is at history.ntu.edu.tw/English/1030.htm

LittleBuddhaTW, I am eternally grateful…
:notworthy::notworthy: :notworthy:
You are the first person who has been able to tell me anything!
Nordy, I am sorry for taking over your thread…

I also read about having no entrance exam…I thought it seemed a bit unlikely…a bit too simple? :s Actually I am considering law or history. Neither seems to have an entrance exam, but I just don’t know what the chances are of getting a place? It seems like the Harvard/Cambridge of Taiwan…ultra-competitive.

Did they make you sit any exams outside of your subject like Classical Chinese or math as undergraduates have to?

Also, I’d appreciate it if you could tell me…I am 24, do you think I would stand out as being ‘old’ …not that that would put me off, I am just curious…

Sorry to abuse your kindness, I could buy you a beer/naicha if I make it back to Taipei?! I would truly appreciate any advice.

hou de chuan ren

Some departments require entrance exams (like the Chinese literature department), but most don’t, so don’t let that surprise you. There is special treatment for foreign students, and a certain number of spots allocated for foreign in students in each department (although some departments don’t allow foreign students, so you’ll have to check out each department’s regulations).

I was 25 when I started, so I don’t think 24 is too old. I have classmates in my classes who are much older than me. However, unless you’re studying something like Chinese literature, history, or philosophy, I wouldn’t think about getting a degree in something like law here (unless you’re planning on specializing in Taiwanese law and practicing here). The US is still the best place to go, IMO. Even for Chinese, if I wasn’t so damn lazy, I would have gone back to do my graduate work at Harvard rather than here … but I’m here and enjoying my studies and research. :smiley:

I saw on Chengchi UNIversities site that they offerred a Master’s in Chinese/Taiwanese and…etc. in English. Since my Chinese is still basic (being generous) I would have to go that route and improve my Chinese as I go along. Anyone know about that program??

Cheers,

FLYing Viking :sunglasses:

[quote=“Nordy”]I saw on Chengchi UNIversities site that they offerred a Master’s in Chinese/Taiwanese and…etc. in English. Since my Chinese is still basic (being generous) I would have to go that route and improve my Chinese as I go along. Anyone know about that program??

Cheers,

FLYing Viking :sunglasses:[/quote]

It looks like something for someone going along the route of political science or international relations. If you’re interested specifically in something like Chinese language, literature, and/or history, I don’t think that program would suit your needs.

[quote=“Nordy”]I saw on Chengchi UNIversities site that they offerred a Master’s in Chinese/Taiwanese and…etc. in English. Since my Chinese is still basic (being generous) I would have to go that route and improve my Chinese as I go along. Anyone know about that program??

Cheers,

FLYing Viking :sunglasses:[/quote]

They’re pretty new, Taiwanese studies is on its second round, but the Chiense studies is the first time to recruit newcomers. Check it out by these:
css.nccu.edu.tw/imcs/eng/a1_news.htm
wfang@nccu.edu.tw
02-29387053
Good luck.

O.k…Besides Chengchi is there another respectable English Taught Chinese/Asian/Taiwanese Studies program which anyone has been through or knows well about…

Nordy… :smiley:

[quote=“Nordy”]O.k…Besides Chengchi is there another respectable English Taught Chinese/Asian/Taiwanese Studies program which anyone has been through or knows well about…

Nordy… :smiley:[/quote]

You’re in Taiwan … why not spend a couple of years learning Chinese and go through a Chinese-language program? You’d get a lot more out of it, I think.