Masters Swimming

There should be one at the pool. Personally I think the 220-age ratio is a bit bunkum. And that’s actually supposed to be maximum heart rate for a person during high intensity exercise. I should have written 220-age=maximum heart rate -20%= elevated heart rate.

So a 50 year old would be sitting around 135bpm. My heart rate starts off slow and rises as I pick up pace. But I think I’d be about 150 at the most. And then when I get in my groove it feels as though it slows down. My BP is usually 110/65 and that’s if I’ve been eating meat. If not it’s 105/60. So for me a healthy elevated heart rate would be between 130-150bpm.

Pretty much. The issue with me is that the longer I go if I stay on my dominant side I end up hurting the already pinched nerves in my neck. Sort of like twisting and twisting a rubber band if that makes sense. Do you have hand paddles? I’m asking because you said you weren’t sure you had a dominant side. Hand paddles will definitely let you know which side is weaker.

Also with breathing it really comes down to you. And what you’re swimming. I breath every 3rd stroke on butterfly but I only do single dolphin kick. I breath every 2nd stroke on breaststroke but I can’t do frog kick (hip injury). When I do a sprint set I breath pretty much every 2nd stroke but I always end up with a sore neck and usually can’t swim the next day. When I do a 17km swim I alternate. Although I haven’t done a 17km swim for about 6 months. I was trying to build up to back to back 20km swims saturday and sunday but then the lock down happened.

I’m tired now and I’ve got to put my meals on for the week.

2 Likes

I want to report on my double breathing before the flip turn on today’s swim. I was actually doing it wrong until today. Before, I was doing the double breathing AFTER the turn, but prior to the turn is definitely the way to go. It makes a huge difference. For the first time, I was leisurely riding out my push off the wall with my head tucked under my arms, instead being in a big rush to get that first breath after the turn.

I did ten 100m intervals and I was coming up with some good times without any difference in effort. My goal was to do each set at 1’40" (with a 20" rest), but I hit a few 1’36" times and I had to remind myself to slow down.

The timing was a real challenge, as you guys can probably imagine (when to start the first of the two breaths, I mean). Also, I found that doing the first of the two breaths on my weak side and the second to my dominant side is definitely the best way to approach this because the second breath is the more difficult one.

I’m really loving this, and I’m feeling for the first time that I will finally get flip turns down and will be able to do a longer swim all using flip turns. There’s definitely work to do but I think I can really learn this skill in a few months.

There was one guy who was standing outside and watching me for a few intervals. I was embarrassed but also it made me feel good that somebody would take interest in this somewhat different style of swimming.

2 Likes

Sounds like great progress.

If you don’t already have one you should get yourself a Finnis Tempo Trainer. They’re about $1500nt (for the one you can change the battery) and there’s a shop in Wanhua that has them. They’re called Float Club and the address is No. 20號, Shuangyuan Street, Wanhua District, Taipei City, 10884

Once you get the natural momentum timing (of the breath, flip, push, glide, dolphin kick, and up into the stroke) you should notice a huge difference in your times. But take it easy. Even I get delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). The right food after a swim helps to make it feel less.

2 Likes

Cool. Never even heard of that device. I might give one a try.

BTW, I use a swimovate watch. My second one. I ruined the first in a sauna, the high heat of which must have destroyed the seal.

2 Likes