Math vs. maths: The final conflict

That’s not what the thread is about.

I know there are two different standards. I know there is nothing wrong with either one. I think just about everyone who has travelled abroad and has had more than just a passing encounter with those who speak a different dialect know this.

But we still have idiots on both sides saying, “I still can’t understand why Brits say ‘maths’ when it isn’t plural” and Brits claiming it is logical since the word mathematics ends in an ‘s’. And we have plenty of people who bring it up just to poke fun.

Why not examine it? See if there’s a final answer? There can only be two outcomes, and both are fine. Either:

A- The British form of abbreviating “mathematics” as “maths” follows a pattern of similar abbreviations and thus makes perfect sense

or

B- “maths” is an abberation that doesn’t match up with how other non-plural words ending in “s” are abbreviated.

If the answer turns out to be A, then I’ll be able to enlighten my North American compatriots when they say something stupid about British English. If the answer turns out to be B, then it’s just of matter of “that’s just how they say it”

Personally, I think it’s an interesting question. There’s no right or wrong as to which abbreviation is “correct”, but maybe there’s a right or wrong as to whether or not it is logical.

Matchstick Man- You’re right about physics not being able to change to an adjective form the way economics can. I guess that is what you meant by “not fitting the pattern”. :slight_smile:

But are there any other non-plural words ending in “s” with common abbreviations?

What’s the sound of one hand clapping?

stats

I think the problem may be that you

[quote=“Stray Dog”]I think the problem may be that you

Merriam-Webster’s lists mathematics as a plural noun, singular in construction, so it is possible that it is abbreviated and repluralized.

In which case my masterpiece above would be defunct. :s

Ho hum. :idunno:

Anyway, you pointed out that there are other similar abbreviations in British English, so it does follow a logical pattern.

And I’ve thought of an example in American English where we do a similar thing. Although it’s slang, you can abbreviate “people” as “peeps”.

So it seems putting the “s” back on the end of math really is quite logical. Assertions to the contrary come from bias for ones own dialect. :smiley:

[quote=“Matchstick_man”][quote=“Sheep-Goats”]

The only good explanation I’ve heard about that is that a Brit generally can’t wrap his mind around an idea that math is a single thing and prefers to think of it as a group of studies. Somehow. I suppose that they would then prefer to study “sciences” rather than “science”, but I don’t have a Brit on hand to ask that to.[/quote]

That would mean North Americans should say ‘physic’ for the subject.
[/quote]

No. It means we should say “mathematics.” But when we shorten that singular term, we shorten it to math.

Mathematics is a plural concept to the British, is all I’m saying.

I imagine that’s what everyone here does. But we aren’t trying to teach eachother now, we’re having a nit picky fight. And the thread ID’d it as a nitpicky fight. So we can just let this be as it is, too, as the debate does no harm.

That’s the spirit!

But it is usually treated as singular in the UK [color=darkblue]{Maths/Mathematics is easy}[/color].