Matsu and Changhua

So…Matsu is supposed to be coming through to Changhua today in a parade. But no matter who I ask that’s Taiwanese, they have no clue about when and where.

All of us foreigners are scratching our heads.

I’d love to see it, but have no clue how.

Any advice anyone could give would be fantastic and I promise I will owe you a beer if we ever meet. :thanks:

Matt

[quote=“ILoveItHereButIDoMissSnow”]So…Mazu is supposed to be coming through to Changhua (Zhanghua) today in a parade. But no matter who I ask that’s Taiwanese, they have no clue about when and where.

All of us foreigners are scratching our heads.

I’d love to see it, but have no clue how.

Any advice anyone could give would be fantastic and I promise I will owe you a beer if we ever meet. :thanks:

Matt[/quote]

mazu.taichung.gov.tw/English/index.htm#10

Guinness would be nice. Not the wretched HK stuff.

So if I understand this correctly, it’s more “when it gets here, it gets here.” They seem to know the date, but not the time.

Matt

[quote=“ILoveItHereButIDoMissSnow”]So if I understand this correctly, it’s more “when it gets here, it gets here.” They seem to know the date, but not the time.

Matt[/quote]

I would assume so. You’re talking tens of thousands of people walking for a day. Yes, it’s a little hard to predict exactly when they will arrive.

[quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“ILoveItHereButIDoMissSnow”]So if I understand this correctly, it’s more “when it gets here, it gets here.” They seem to know the date, but not the time.

Matt[/quote]

I would assume so. You’re talking tens of thousands of people walking for a day. Yes, it’s a little hard to predict exactly when they will arrive.[/quote]

Wasn’t until I read that site that I realized how big this was.

Matt

Probably a bit late now. It’s been around most of the day, but not in any big parade. Instead just going from temple to temple. It’s still around, but my feet are killing me from walking around all day so I’ve given up for the day.

I have the full schedule for the 8 days (in Chinese) - it’s going to be at Nan Yao temple at 20.50 tonight. There’s a couple of TV vans set up down there, and plenty of stuff going on in and around the temple but there’s also a lot of waiting around. If you hear lots of fireworks later tonight, just follow the sound.

Today is not the big day here though. That comes next Saturday, late in the afternoon and into the night. That’s when Mazu passes back through Changhua on her return to Dajia, and it’s seriously fucking crazy. And a lot of fun.

If you want to meet up next weekend for the big parade, let me know.

Wasn’t it crazy when she left Dajia? I went two years ago and there were tens of thousands around the temple and at least a couple thousand following her down the street. Great fireworks too the first night.

Yeah, Dajia was pretty mad. I was there yesterday for about 8 hours, but didn’t stay until she left. All the fireworks, incense and loud music gave me a monster headache. Yesterday during the day didn’t seem to be as crazy as 2005 when I went to Dajia - there were a lot more participants (as opposed to people just there to watch) in 2005 during the day.

Here’s a couple of photos from today in Changhua.

I have a few photos and images as well. I’m not posting them now, as I just got home. You’re a much better photographer than I am.

cf, would like to meet up sometime next week if it’s possible. I have a student’s birthday party I promised to go to from 5-8. I promised I’d bring along a puppet or two. Anytime around that is great.

Matt

Ahem, my beer? :wink:

[quote=“ILoveItHereButIDoMissSnow”]I have a few photos and images as well. I’m not posting them now, as I just got home. You’re a much better photographer than I am.

cf, would like to meet up sometime next week if it’s possible. I have a student’s birthday party I promised to go to from 5-8. I promised I’d bring along a puppet or two. Anytime around that is great.

Matt[/quote]

It’s usually around 5-8 when the parade and craziness starts to happen, providing things are not running too late. My number’s 0915 769 739 so give me a call (or send a message - if there’s lots of noise I probably won’t hear the phone ring).

Definitely owed.

Matt

[quote=“cfimages”][quote=“ILoveItHereButIDoMissSnow”]I have a few photos and images as well. I’m not posting them now, as I just got home. You’re a much better photographer than I am.

Matt[/quote]

It’s usually around 5-8 when the parade and craziness starts to happen, providing things are not running too late. My number’s 0915 769 739 so give me a call (or send a message - if there’s lots of noise I probably won’t hear the phone ring).[/quote]

Sounds good. I will see what I can do.