Matt Furey and me

So I’ve just hit a week without cigarettes, and I’m trying to decide on an exercise routine.

For a while now I’ve been reading free newsletters from Mr. Matt Furey, who is a hardcore information marketer (and hence his website looks like a huge scam), but is not necessarily full of shit.

His philosophy includes:

• Long distance running damages joints and does not have significant benefits
  • Weight lifting is dangerous, causes injuries, and makes you look tough but not actually be tough.
  • Body weight exercises are the way to go - dive bomber pushups, tiptoe squats, handstand pressups, etc
  • Hill sprints are preferable to jogging

Now this is pretty tempting stuff for me. I was a good long-distance runner when I was young but god, was it boring. Ditto any kind of repetitive exercise that takes more than a couple of minutes. So right now my routine is:

• Chi Gong stretches and breathing exercises
  • Sprints up the fire escape from the ground to my 12th-floor apartment
  • A pathetic handful of dive bomber pushups, and slightly more squats
  • Some Wing Chun drills, mostly turning and stepping.

The whole lot takes about 15 minutes, and I try to do it three times a day.

What do you guys think? Is he right about traditional Western exercise? Is there intrinsic value to boring the bejeesus out of yourself in a gym? Is there some reason to buy expensive weights rather than using your own body? Is what I’m doing worthwhile? And what can I add or change to improve it?

You’ve made a great start… typically i try and go into a crazy routine that results in me quitting after a while because its so demanding.

I would recommend swimming because its easy on the joints and u can burn fat pretty well whilst improving your lung capacity. If its boring for you, then get a swimming partner…

I read a about a exsperiement a guy tok one push up one day, two the next day and so on.

After one year he did 365 push up’s and the mucles had a incredible potential.

When he changed to lifting heavy weights instead off push ups after this year he’s arms grow so fast that he got stretch marks.

I have no doubt you can do alot only by using body weight.

[quote=“Stian”]I read a about a exsperiement a guy tok one push up one day, two the next day and so on.

After one year he did 365 push up’s and the mucles had a incredible potential.[/quote]

I’m going to try this.
Anything after Day 10 will be a wild success! :laughing:

[quote=“Stian”]I read a about a exsperiement a guy tok one push up one day, two the next day and so on.

[/quote]

OK, I’m going to try this too. Today I did one push up. A real one, not a girly one. I hope I can get to 20! I currently do chest presses as a part of my upper body routine, but real push ups are still hard for me.

Anyway, Brendon I think the best exercise program is one that you enjoy and can stick to. I personally like going to the gym. I do 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of strength training, 2-4 times a week. I also try to walk a fair amount on a day-to-day basis. There are probably better routines, but my current schedule works for me. Overall, I’m in good shape, satisfied with my body and feel healthy. That’s the most important thing to me. It all depends on what your long-term goals are.

Here’s a link to a good online forum about fitness. Doing exercise in short interval sprints seems to be pretty popular right now. A lot of people say they’ve had success with the HIIT program which sounds similar to what you’re doing. Although I haven’t personally tried it, it sounds fun. Good luck!

Herschel Walker was noted for doing at least 1000 crunches and 1000 push ups every day in the off season and combining that with weight training.

When he changed to lifting heavy weights instead off push ups after this year he’s arms grow so fast that he got stretch marks.

I have no doubt you can do alot only by using body weight.[/quote]

Using ones own body weight is good, but it’s better if you have a child. Or girl is 2.5 years old and I’ve been carrying her up 4 flights of stairs to our apartment ever since she was born. I figure by the time she’s in college I’ll be the strongest senior citizen in my neighborhood.

Even better, it’s occurred to me I should get a calf and do the same thing, although I’m not sure if my landlord would allow me to keep a cow in the building.