Maximum number of scooter passengers

Thanks! which site did you get this?
below is a translation from google on item 5
5. Drivers and accompanying persons should wear safety helmets.
notice the word ‘persons’? not sure if google’s translation is accurate but what the heck with the ‘persons’ accompanying the driver? it sure look to me like it’s not 2 max for a scooter

Laws and regulations database of ROC

Many laws have English versions.
https://law.moj.gov.tw/Eng/index.aspx

Chinese doesn’t say persons, so it is Google.

thanks. can you please point to me which item that says max of 2? thanks

二、小型輕型機車不得附載人員,重型及普通輕型機車在駕駛人後設有固定座位者,得附載一人。

Google says
“Small and light locomotives are not allowed to carry personnel. Heavy-duty and ordinary light-duty locomotives have fixed seats after the driver and may be attached to one person.”

The driver and one person, so the maximum is two.

got it, thanks bud

Imgur

3 Likes

Down south I never see anyone stopped for overloading a scooter. Taipei yes they will.
On one hand it’s super unsafe but on the other if that’s all someone can afford for their family who am I to say something. Poor kids though if they are in an accident

I saw two white foreigners in beitou last week with two newborns on a scooter both with no helmets. That is super irresponsible

afford what? 20 minutes walk? MRT? bus? common! also there is a new problem with electric bicycles, they go fast on the sidewalk, road, and without nothing, is like a scooter with less regulation also with kids.

1 Like

I noticed a couple years ago, primarily in the County, they were starting to sell little baby-sized helmets.
Not little kid-sized, they’ve always had those, these are literal, like less than a year old, baby size.
Aside from being totally illegal (I know, I know), aside from the initial reaction, which is, you know, oh, that’s good, in fact, it’s awful, if only because it will allow even more people to justify taking their little tiny babies on the scooter.

Which is just bad, no matter how you think about it.

3 Likes

Sure if you’re in taipei where public transport is efficient and everywhere. Try waiting for the bus in Tainan or Kaohsiung. That’s why I said , i wouldn’t do it myself, but can see why someone might

The bus system (and our own MRT) is actually quite efficient in Kaohsiung.

It wasn’t when I lived there 4 years ago. But tbf they have likely improved a lot in that time.
Busses were spotty, mrt only had two lines and not convenient. Hardly any locals took public transit unless you had all day to waste

Indeed.
I remember some time ago (probably last year) the law changed forbidden children less than 3yo on scooter. The outcry were social media was intense.
I don’t think this people realize that the head of a 3yo cannot survive an impact, with our without helmet.
Safety before convenience, FFS! :wall:

1 Like

We still only have 2 lines, but I find it much better than the run down, antiquated train system I used back home in the states (the T in Boston… all the lines are a century old and the trains constantly break down… trains are also habitually late and poorly conducted and the interiors look like shit).

Now it’s true the MRT can’t get you everywhere, but I don’t scoot or drive and besides Zuoying, Central Park, Formosa Blvd and Pier 2, we don’t have much to see anyway. :wink:

What’s the helmet laws for kids? Years back, when an announcement was made that everybody on a scooter needed a helmet (I’m unsure if this was a new law or simply enforcement of something that was already on the books) people were upset and believed the argument that ‘kids grow so quickly - we’ll need to buy a new helmet every year’ was sound. I don’t see as many kids perched on the back without helmets anymore though.

Are you replying to me or to @DrewC?

If you are talking about the law I mentioned, it was about the age of the child, not the mandatory usage of helmet.
Although, I also remember people complaining about having to buy new helmet every year.
Seriously, don’t this people see the dangerous they’re putting their own kids?

You, wondering if the law you mentioned was the same one that I was thinking of. Regardless, the ‘thinking process’ involved is identical.

1 Like

it may be the same article of 道路交通安全規則.

It says 重型及普通輕型機車在駕駛人後設有固定座位者,得附載一人。So, making a kid stand in front of the driver, carrying a baby, a temporary seat attached are all illegal.

1 Like

Area your talking about those foldable chairs they place in front of the scooter?
I knew it!

Has the MOTC managed to start getting road casualty rates down? I know it’s usually around 3000 a year, although they fiddle the fatality figures by only allowing deaths within 24 hours. They used to have an objective of getting annual deaths below the 9/21 earthquake level, but don’t seem to be getting close to it. Overall, the deaths and injuries per 100,000 are very high for a developed country - especially considering the 24 hour limit fiddle.

The other weird thing they do is not release figures by vehicle. I recall a figure of 60% of deaths being scooter related, but I think that was just an estimate.

The clamp down on DUI must have reduced deaths, one would think.