May 19: Back-on-the-Trail Red River Valley (紅河谷) Hike

Right, then, let’s make the May 19 hike a pleasant stroll along the first section of the Honghegu-to-Manyueyuan (紅河谷-滿月圓) trail, beside the Jiajiuliao Creek (加九寮溪), with lunch at the waterfall pool. Where we go and what we do after that can be decided according to what people are up for, how the weather is, and so on - there are plenty of good options, including the possibility of walking into Wulai township along the trail beside the Nanshi River (南勢溪).

I think this is ideal for bringing the Hiking Club out of its winter dormancy and welcoming several newcomers to the fold. It’s easily doable by anyone with a pair of fairly well functioning legs, but it also offers a decent workout to the seriously fit. It’s out in the wilds, in completely natural, unspoilt and beautiful surroundings, but surprisingly close to the city and very easy to get to. And it offers great flexibility, depending on how the weather turns out: If it’s rainy, we can stick mainly to the trail, and explore further up than we’ve gone before; but if it’s gloriously sunny and hot, we can spend more time on the creek, perhaps do a bit of river-tracing, swim in at least a couple of pools, and even do some water-sliding.

Though I usually like to meet as early as possible for these hikes, we’d better make it a somewhat later start so it’s not too taxing for those coming from out of town or who may be feeling jet-lagged after just flying into Taiwan. Therefore, let’s provisionally set the rendezvous time as 9:00am at Sindian (新店) MRT Station. Depending on our mode of transport, we should be able to get on the trail by 10 o’clock, which will be perfect.

As far as transport is concerned, we’ll have to wait and see exactly who is coming and what sort of wheels we have available before we finalize that. I have a car that can carry three large or one large and three small people, or I may take my scooter if those seats are not needed. If it turns out that we don’t have sufficient transport of our own, it won’t be a problem at all, since there’s an excellent bus service that will get us from the MRT station to within about 1 km of the trailhead.

Everyone will need to bring their own lunch and sufficient water, and if you have non-slip shoes, bring them along in case we do do a bit of very gentle but hugely enjoyable river-tracing. If you don’t already have any non-slip shoes, you can buy a pair for as little as NT$250~300 at any outdoor or fishing gear store - I always ask for 防滑鞋 , and the storekeeper knows exactly what I want. Even if the weather turns out to be unsuitable for any kind of rock-hopping or river-tracing, and we don’t need to use the non-slip shoes at all, we’ll certainly be doing some river-tracing trips this summer when they’ll be absolutely essential, so it’s well worth getting a pair if you’re interested in that.

Welcome everyone to join this hike - we’ll surely have a bloody good time!

Sounds great! I hope I’m not too jet lagged!

I would like to join in the hike, but I am not the Hiking Club member, so can I?
I have a scooter so transportation is not a problem for me.

I would have enjoyed coming, but I just heard I have a class on that Saturday. Maybe next time.

This is almost enough to keep me from going to Tibet.

kate.lin, you are hereby granted full-membership to the hiking club.

What time do you expect to return? I should be able to make it … just need to be somewhere by 7 pm that evening …

[quote=“kate.lin”]I would like to join in the hike, but I am not the Hiking Club member, so can I?
I have a scooter so transportation is not a problem for me.[/quote]

You’ll be very welcome, of course, Kate - especially now you’ve had honorary membership of the Hiking Club bestowed upon you by the very truly one-and-only Head Rambler himself.

It’s a pity about the class, but I hope you’ll be able to make it for another hike soon.

Can’t you nip back for the day to join us on the hike? After all, it’s just a different part of the same country, innit?

I’m sure we’ll be back well before then. It’ll be open-ended, and some people might want to do stuff in Wulai afterwards, but I expect we’ll be back to our starting-point at Red River Valley by mid-afternoon.

Thank you for the all warm welcome. :slight_smile:

I hope the day we go hiking won’t rain.

But I wonder if a person who can’t swim could go through the couple of pools, do a bit of river-tracing, swim in at least a couple of pools, or do some water-sliding when we spend more time on the creek.

Sorry, I can’t swim, so is there any way that I can prepaire in advance for surviving? :blush:

[quote=“kate.lin”]But I wonder if a person who can’t swim could go through the couple of pools, do a bit of river-tracing, swim in at least a couple of pools, or do some water-sliding when we spend more time on the creek.

Sorry, I can’t swim, so is there any way that I can prepaire in advance for surviving? :blush:[/quote]

Don’t worry, if we do any river-tracing, it won’t involve crossing any deep water, so you don’t need to be a swimmer. The Jiajiuliao Creek is no more than knee-deep in most places, and the deeper pools are easily criss-crossed over stepping-stones and big rocks.

If the weather permits us to spend time in the water, the non-swimmers and swimmers alike will have plenty to enjoy.

So just be prepared for enjoying an invigorating day out in idyllic surroundings, and that’ll be enough.

Thanks a lot.

I am no longer worried about it and I am looking forward to it.

Omni, I salute you for organizing this. I really want to get out and join the group on another hike, but I’m afraid I won’t be able to come this time. My parents are going to be in town at that time, and I’ll be playing host with them and doing a bit of travelling too. They are getting up in their years, and would not be able to join us on the hike.

I hope everybody has a great time, and I look forward to hiking with everybody sometime this summer.

[quote=“scomargo”]Omni, I salute you for organizing this. I really want to get out and join the group on another hike, but I’m afraid I won’t be able to come this time. My parents are going to be in town at that time, and I’ll be playing host with them and doing a bit of travelling too. They are getting up in their years, and would not be able to join us on the hike.

I hope everybody has a great time, and I look forward to hiking with everybody sometime this summer.[/quote]

It’ll be great to have you along again for a hike or two this summer, Scoma.

After MM gets back from Tibet (in July), we’re definitely going to go tracing up the Neidong Stream again. You absolutely must join us for that, as I know you loved the river-tracing last year and the Neidong offers the best river-tracing of all.

I hope your parents enjoy their visit to Taiwan and you have a good time showing them around.

I thought MM postponed his trip indefinitely because the Chinese authorities clamped down on travelers there. Has a change in plans come about?

I am also interested. I have done the Red River before and its not too difficult for all comers… and the weather may be all hot and sunny, which is just great for hanging around in the water. I can get my wife and I there by scooter or we can meet at Xindian and catch a bus.

We have to be back in town by 6pm.

I thought MM postponed his trip indefinitely because the Chinese authorities clamped down on travelers there. Has a change in plans come about?[/quote]

I think that’s all been sorted out and he’ll be off within the next couple of days.

[quote=“urodacus”]I am also interested. I have done the Red River before and its not too difficult for all comers… and the weather may be all hot and sunny, which is just great for hanging around in the water. I can get my wife and I there by scooter or we can meet at Xindian and catch a bus.

We have to be back in town by 6pm.[/quote]

Excellent! Let’s keep our fingers crossed that the weather stays much as it is now. (I was up there swimming an hour and a half ago, and it’s just too gorgeous for words.)

We can finalize the meeting and transport details a day or two before the event, once we know exactly who’s coming and how much transport we have available. It’s good to know that you’ve got the wheels if needed. The 6pm certainly won’t be a problem.

This sounds like it will be a great hike! Unfortunately I have to go to a wedding, so will miss it.

Have fun everyone, remember to post some pics of the hike, and may you have superb weather!

According to the weather forecast of Central Weather Bureau, the first May rain will influence Taiwan since Wednesday.
Saturday could be a rainy day. Anyway, sometimes the weather forecast is not accurate.

Never done this type of thing before and am pretty interested in going on this hike. What exactly would I need to bring if I do go?

[quote=“kate.lin”]According to the weather forecast of Central Weather Bureau, the first May rain will influence Taiwan since Wednesday.
Saturday could be a rainy day. Anyway, sometimes the weather forecast is not accurate.[/quote]

Yes, I’m afraid the plum rains will be starting on Wednesday, so we’ll have rainy weather through to the end of June.

But never mind, it’s a great place for hiking in any weather, and the rain won’t be too much of a damper no matter how hard it falls.

Wear light, comfortable clothes that let in the air and let out the sweat, and whatever shoes you normally wear when you go walking on uneven, unpaved paths that are likely to be a bit muddy and slightly slippery in places. It looks like you’ll also need to bring some kind of light rainwear.

As far as footwear is concerned, the trail is a very easy one, and while some people might think it calls for proper hiking boots, I reckon any old kind of footwear should be okay (and I’ll be wearing either trainers or sandals). You’d better bring a pair of those non-slip river shoes I mentioned, in case we spend time on the stream or scrambling over rocks (and you might prefer to wear them on the more slippery parts of the trail).

Apart from that, just bring an ample amount of water (at least a litre) and some food for lunch. I’d like to have to advise you to bring a hat and sunscreen, but it doesn’t look as if they’ll be necessary.

Could you guys check for me if this trail is ridable on a mountain bike? I’ve ridden the nearby Jiajiuliao trail which runs parallel with the Nanshi River on the opposite bank from the main road. The 2-kilometer trail is about 90% ridable. If the Honghegu trail is even 50% ridable, I’d be willing to ride my mountain bike there to try it out.
Good luck with the weather.