May 21st--Join the hiking club scale Taipei 101

:blush:

Some familiar faces in this photo.

More can be spotted at http://www.canadiansociety.org/events/events_060521_photos.shtml

i just paid the 2500nt.

Easy decision.

We get to exercise
We get to donate to charity
We get to climb inside 101
We get a t shirt
We get to watch lovely backsides climb stairs for a long time if we’re positioned right.

So, that means you’ll be climbing in front of me then?

Hey, I don’t know how to pick the difficulty level? Any ideas?

So, that means you’ll be climbing in front of me then?

Hey, I don’t know how to pick the difficulty level? Any ideas?[/quote]

It’s slow, medium, fast.

I chose medium. You’ll be medium but just a tad in front of me I suspect.

[quote=“seeker4”]An excerpt from the Taipei Times article that’s worth posting:

And, although the TT article didn’t mention it, donations will go to The Community Services Center as well.[/quote]
Is ALL the money raised (100%) going to charity? The e-mail I got says “a major donation will be made”, but it didn’t spell it out. Just wondering. Thanks!

100% of the money raised by climbers will be donated to charity.

The three designated charities are:

The Garden of Hope Foundation
The Community Services Center
The Taipei City Hospital

The first will receive the major portion of the funds raised. The latter two will receive smaller amounts.

So can I pledge to take the elevator to the 82nd floor, the stairs the rest of the way and save you all a seat at the table?

I wouldn’t mind doing it, but after my embarrassing stunt at Jiufen where my legs decided that they had had enough and went on strike mid-step, perhaps I’d be better off as a cheerleader. I doubt I’d get beyond the fifth floor…which is just as well because that’s where the elevator is for the rest of the way up. :smiling_imp:

Climbers only have to make it to the 18th floor–that’s where the first exit to the elevators is. There are 5 other elevator exits along the way, plus rest stops about every four floors, and on the 35th and 59th floor climbers can get out of the stairwell and enjoy the view.

Registration is still open, but space is limited and starting to fill up…
http://www.canadiansociety.org/events/events_060507_climbers.shtml

I’ve just completed my registration for the climb. Having done it bleary-eyed and half-awake first thing in the morning, I didn’t look at Scomargo’s post first to check what I should put down as the team name, but just wrote Forumosa Hiking Club. Now I see that Scomargo asked us to write it as Taipei Hiking Club. Oh well!

BTW, anyone who is planning to take part but hasn’t registered yet should note that today is the last day for receiving the free t-shirt on registration.

How many others will definitely be doing the climb in our team?

Actually–ALL climbers will get a T-shirt. We had to put in the order on May 1, so we just can’t guarantee to have the right size for climbers registering after May 1.

We’ll keep an eye out for all Formusa/Taipei Hiking club climbers and make sure you all get registered together as a team.

Hey, that was a great event yesterday! :slight_smile:

The Canadian Society did a great job organizing it. Everything ran smoothly and people seemed to have enjoyed themselves.

Thanks, CST, for giving us this opportunity to contribute to worthy causes and have a unique personal experience at the same time.

Too bad we didn’t see more Forumosans up there, and that some of those we did see, took the elevator instead the stairs. I won’t name any names, but it was sandman and poagao. Shame on them, whoever they are :wink:

I’m curious about the numbers. Money raised and participants.

[quote=“babelfish”]

Some familiar faces in this photo.

More can be spotted at http://www.canadiansociety.org/events/events_060521_photos.shtml[/quote]

Has the family of the guy who fell while this picture was taken been notified?? :frowning:

i thought it was canadians only… thats why i didnt do it… cough cough…

Wort … Wort is the soul of the beer, it is the concentrated, hopped liquid that exists before fermentation…

Wort … Wort is the soul of the beer, it is the concentrated, hopped liquid that exists before fermentation…[/quote]
That PM I sent you about your spelling mistakes was nearly a year ago, and you still follow me around and correct my mistakes in public?! That’s the worst case of holding a grudge I have ever seen, man!

So, what’s your
excuse for not climbing, Tigerman
? “I’m not-Canadian”, although very funny, has already been taken, pick another one.

Wort … Wort is the soul of the beer, it is the concentrated, hopped liquid that exists before fermentation…[/quote]
That PM I sent you about your spelling mistakes was nearly a year ago, and you still follow me around and correct my mistakes in public?! That’s the worst case of holding a grudge I have ever seen, man!

So, what’s your
excuse for not climbing, Tigerman
? “I’m not-Canadian”, although very funny, has already been taken, pick another one.[/quote]

Didn’t wanna spill his beer? :smiley:

It was a great event and a credit to Jacques and everyone at the Canadian Society for their organization. I did climb (84 floors in under 20 minutes :sunglasses: ), as did many other CIHLers, and had the pleasure of seeing some old friends. Even had the pleasure to meet Sandman briefly. Disappointed I did get a chance to meet more of you; I guess I was spending too much time at the Taiwan Beer table. :blush:

Crikey! Look at the expression on Dave Chen’s face in that snap, he’s actually playing that bloody guitar. Most people would accpet it was a photo shoot and fake it, not our man Dave. :laughing:

HG

Loved the 101 climb!
Did it in about 21 minutes.

Piece of cake!