Mayor Ma Yingjeou - Who Cares If He Can't Paint?

Today’s editorial cartoon in Taipei Times showed Ma Ying-jeou painting a Lady Liberty-type statue, but his rendition bore a striking resemblance to Hitler. Isn’t this going a bit too far. I mean, what does being able to paint have to do with leading the city?

By the way, kudos to Taco, the cartoonist, for labeling just two items in this cartoon. Usually, he’s got so many labels in there that figuring out the cartoon takes longer than filling out the crossword.

[quote=“HakkaSonic”]Today’s editorial cartoon in Taipei Times showed Ma Ying-jeou painting a Lady Liberty-type statue, but his rendition bore a striking resemblance to Hitler. Isn’t this going a bit too far. I mean, what does being able to paint have to do with leading the city?

By the way, kudos to Taco, the cartoonist, for labeling just two items in this cartoon. Usually, he’s got so many labels in there that figuring out the cartoon takes longer than filling out the crossword.[/quote]

Also, I hardly think that Ma would wear a beret.

What do you mean? The man has NO shame and regularly prances about in very small sports shorts, flowing Hakka robes or a tutu, depending on what’s “newsworthy”. If I were his PR person, I’d regularly have him parading round Ximenting in drag, to prove to the citizens of Taipei that it’s quite safe, good for your health even, and pro-Taiwan to shop there. Oh hang on, I think he already might… :wink:

What do you mean? The man has NO shame and regularly prances about in very small sports shorts, flowing Hakka robes or a tutu, depending on what’s “newsworthy”. if I were his PR person, I’d regularly have him parading round Ximenting in drag, to prove to the citizens of Taipei that it’s quite safe, good for your health even, and pro-Taiwan to shop there. Oh hang on, I think he already might… :wink:[/quote]

Magnolia, you’ve a point about Ma’s willingness to wear almost anything for a photo op, but even he would surely draw a line at donning a beret.

Here’s the cartoon. Most political cartoons in Taiwan are pretty crude, and this one is no exception.

Here’s the line from a piece on fridae.com about the Taipei Lesbian and Gay Festival, the preceding graph mentions the (gay) mayors of Paris and Berlin:

:laughing:

On the other hand, he’s willing to get leid in public…

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 0000049654

Separated at birth:

The TT was a little mean-spirited running this one – on the front page, no less. But I’ve gotta admit it’s funny.

Cranky, that’s the pic I was looking for! Brilliant. Even so, that hat’s still a long way from a beret…