Mazu Festival 2007 in Dajia

Anyone planning to go to Dajia for this years Mazu festival?

For those who don’t know what it is, take a look here. It starts next Saturday, April 21st, with the Mazu actually leaving at 23.05. Although experience from past years leads me to believe that it’ll leave much later than that.

Still, there’s a lot going on in Dajia all day. It is supposed to be one of the worlds 3 biggest religious festivals, with up to 1 million people expected over the 8 days.

Mazu will travel south to Jiayi county, before turning around and returning to Dajia where she’ll arrive at again on Sunday, April 29.

I went to both days of it in Dajia, plus one day in Yuanlin and Changhua in 2005, and last year saw it in Changhua only (was going to go to Dajia, but it was pouring with rain both days). I can definitely recommend it as one of the best things I’ve seen in the 4 years I’ve been in Taiwan.

Anyway, if anyone’s planning to go and wants to meet up, let me know.

It is more commercialized than ever.

What do you mean?

yeah, what do you mean? Sure, the Buick stretch limo that parked in the courtyard of the Zhenlan temple and had a big blow-up bottle of Gaoliang on the roof was kinda commercial, but the old men and women who walk behind Mazu for 8 days over 300km are what the spirit of the festival is all about. And that’s still alive and well.

I live here in Dajia and it was great party, the return is this weekend(Sunday). If you are looking to get a real taste of Taiwan culture, check it out! There are also many other things going on during this festival. We had a concert last Friday with some of the biggest stars from Taiwan and China putting on a free show.