McDonald's touchscreens test reveals poop traces, dangerous bacteria

Not much has changed since Dickensian times. As for the culture well maybe their language known as English has had some influence globally and perhaps the industrial revolution , both of which can be a tad shady

I instantly thought of this.
Wish I could find the whole clip…

https://youtu.be/ecGf-0LLTIY

1 Like

I was in Wanfang this week, very impressed with their IT systems and their professionalism but you have a good point.

It’s not bad?

Coming from you it must be fucking amazing ! And that’s in the Winter time!

2 Likes

Almost 40% of Londoners are foreigners (or, rather, born outside the UK), so you’ve got a fair chance of meeting them.

1 Like

Sounds like you visited London in 1858 lol.

London has loads of great parks and splendid architecture in the center . World class museums. Some very decent commuter towns and villages … each village having it’s own identity especially in the old days.
It’s very very diverse , if somebody can equate a different hair or clothes style to dirtiness…That’s their problem.
I worked there for a short period and have visited sporadically over the years.
The two issues I have with London are

1. people are very busy , they can be cold and lack of locals to talk to (big city eh)
  2. it’s bloody expensive

Anybody moaning about London should not even bother visiting another city in UK, except perhaps Edinburgh.

With regards to point 1, most people in London tourists meet during weekdays are commuters. They come in on massively over-priced privatized trains, which are unreliable, slow, and over-crowded. They only want to work and then go home. So, unsurprisingly, they are seriously pissed-off individuals.

It’s a great city in many ways, but you need to be rich to enjoy it.

1 Like

I think I have told of my first encounter with one of the species you mention . First day in London, standing on the wrong side of one of those massive escalators that descend to the depths in the Tube, …Hear a shout 'I’m coming through ’ and feel a hot breeze on my neck.
Turn around and a very red faced and angry London commuter guy is fuming at me. Welcome to London :).

1 Like

I lived in London for ten years, so I have many stories about grumpy commuters. It’s always that weird British low-level grumpiness. The locals are generally quite relaxed (bar the stabbings).

Tourists need to be aware that if they stare at map while blocking the pavement - there’s a strong possibility that some commuter is going to say something.

I am a very objective person.

I wouldn’t want to live in the UK though. I think it’s at the bottom of the first world countries in terms of quality of life.

1 Like

Not if you’re a Russian oligarch

1 Like

The first time I went to London as a high school kid, English learning thing.
On the second day one local threw up on on of our teachers outside a supermarket and his friend emptied a bottle of beer over the head of the other teacher, then they proceeded to threaten to beat them into a pulp. Us kids were proper scared, I still remember it quite clearly. Police showed up, the guys left and that was that.

The second time in London I remember a guy on the tube during rush hour, he was on crutches, was bandaged from head to toe and had pus leaking from his head. He said he was an Afghan war veteran and needed money. When I didn’t immediately reach for my wallet he tried to hit me with one of his crutches. More sad than scary.

:rofl:

1 Like

You not wanting to live there is subjective. An objective analysis would be: if London were to be at the bottom of some quality of life list then why do so many people want to live there?

EDIT: Why are Edinburgh and Barcelona so low? I’ve never been to Kobe. Birmingham really isn’t as bad as people think. It’s a bit like Taichung only with worse weather.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercer_Quality_of_Living_Survey

When I say foreigners I mean the obvious ones, like different race and language. Asians, Latin American, Central/South Europe but you’ve got a point.

London was the only foreign city I’ve visited where if I closed my eyes in certain places I could only hear Portuguese (BRA) beig spoken in certain places, others only Spanish (SA). But sill I prefer that then the local ‘fragance’

Nope. Every year in the city. But When I take the first train out of the airport I might be in 1858 lol

100% agree

My problem is people not showering. But I guess it is so as to not wet the carpet they put in their bathroom

Indeed. I would pay double to have clean people around me.
Come on, you can visit favelas/slums in Rio and still people like to smell good

Meaning you are around people who shower in a daily basis. I agree it is a great city.

Cost of life in Taichung and Birmingham

Are the drunks commuters too?

I see I’ve successfully derailed this thread :sunglasses:

1 Like