McDonald's touchscreens test reveals poop traces, dangerous bacteria

I think that any thread with poo as main topic is naturally inclined to develop into an english food thread.

1 Like

I’m quite enjoying the ‘do Londoners smell direction’ it’s headed.

London is in 7th place globally for total number of Michelin stars.

2 Likes

But nobody can afford to eat at those places! At least not your plain ol’ folk.

The very poor can’t. The majority of people can, occasionally as a treat.

Oh geez, the 10th biggest city in the world ranks 7th in restaurants with michelin stars. I wonder if London outranks some third world city in that category?

In which case London is punching above its weight.

Will mexico city, Cairo and instanbul ever recover?

taiwanese are any better?

as a brit its kinda annoying always hearing this stuff. when i go home i eat damn well. the food sucks?
try comparing a taiwanese supermarket to an english one. not even close to being on the same level. most people cook at home. eating out is not an everyday or an every week thing. so the restaurants are not as good as here. i admit last time i was there the restaurants were getting quite samey as i was eating out a lot. people usually get sandwiches or something cold for lunch. asian people hate that sort of thing. i wish i could get half the food in england here in taiwan i would be very happy.

the weather does suck but taipei has 3 times the rainfall. uk just doesn’t get a whole lot of sun. hygiene is not low. people don’t shower at night like asians do. they bath or shower in the morning. i’ve picked up the asian habit so i now do both.

personally i don’t like london all that much. most people there seem like pricks and you have to pay to use extremely dirty public toilets. but theres lots of nicer smaller cities.

1 Like

You are not alone in that thought. We enjoy the foods that we grew up with, however good or bad it may seem to others.

bread is objectively superior in england. fresh, crunchy and not sweet like the bread here. thats just one example.

i mean theres food like pork pies which i love but might be a hard sell for others but theres a lot of stuff thats just good.

1 Like

The food in the UK does not suck! Biggest myth perpetuated by people that do not live there. I live in continental Europe, which has great national cuisine. But visiting London and smaller towns? Way better ethnic than continental Europe. What amazes me is the change in the last 20 years. Best Jamaican jerk chicken I have ever had? UK. Best curry? UK. Great Pho, Chinese, Asian supermarkets on every corner, even in smaller sized cities. Decent UK pub food, etc.

2 Likes

I’m sold.

Where do you live? You said you live in Canada!

You don`t read very well!!:wink:

Conclusion, English food sucks!:wink:

1 Like

The stereotype about food in Britain is about 20-30 years old. Without a doubt, most restaurants in the UK in the 70s and much of the 80s produced dreadful food. Then we had a few French chefs like Raymond Bland and the Roux brothers come over, and British chefs like Nick Gill (unknown now, but groundbreaking before the drugs took hold), Marco Pierre White and Gordon Ramsay started the ball rolling. Gradually quality food became mainstream with gastro pubs in the late 90s.

There still is crap restaurant food in the UK, usually in areas tourists frequent, but in generally the quality is very high.

In fact, I would say, living in France, that I have never seen a nation more enamoured with US fast food—McDonalds, Burger King, KFC, etc.

As the WW2 generation in France dies out (for some reason, very Gaullist and anti-American, including a dislike for fast food), the old French-first diet habits have died out too. In a time when fast food in the US has declined in popularity and become healthier in terms of menu options, I am super shocked by the popularity of old school American fast food in the French hinterlands where locals often eat Dominoes, McDonalds, Burger King, etc. 3 to 4 times a week. It is gross. I much prefer the local diet than the Yank exports.

It is often said the French go against the grain (e.g., going left in the 1980s when most of the world turned right). They have done it with fast food wherein the decade of the 2010s has seen the significant growth of US greasy fast food when it is shrinking in popularity elsewhere.

To put it in context, McD is a place where cash-strapped pensioners hang out all day in North America and drink coffee. In the EU, it is seen as more chic, more global. :smile:

FWIW I don’t actually know anything about the UK firsthand. It’s just that almost all I ever do hear about it is negative. I was specifically asking for a different perspective.