Me and Bobby McGee Plus Some

I love Kris Kristofferson.

Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose,
Nothing don’t mean nothing honey if it ain’t free, now now.
And feeling good was easy, Lord, when Bobby sang the blues,
You know feeling good was good enough for me,
Good enough for me and my Bobby McGee.

Is there another character in the American psyche more full of possibilities beyond Dylan, beyond Brando, beyond Kerouac, Miller, and maybe Frost somewhere up there in an interplanetary life?

He graduates summa cum laude in literature from his college, joins the army and rises to the rank of captain as a helicopter pilot at the very beginning of the craft. Meanwhile, previously he appears in Sports Illustrated for his efforts in championing his rugby union side into legend.

He’s asked to become professor of literature at West Point and turns it down to sweep floors at Columbia studios in Nashville where he witnesses Dylan record ‘Blonde on Blonde’ but fears getting in trouble if he should communicate with the dude based on the fact he’s the janitor.

But his music career finds traction due in no small part to him landing a helicopter in Johnny Cash’s backyard just to get his attention and it works.

Before which time on an oil platform he’s written two songs that will go down in the annals of the craft as being the greatest country music songs ever written — “Help Me Make It through the Night” and “Bobby McGee”.

Not to mention a shit load of great acting roles from “A Star is Born” for which he earns the Golden Globe to Highwayman 2 and Payback. If there were a Golden Gloves award for doing it, he’s my hands down WINNER with out a doubt.

He’s Janis Joplin’s last beau for Christ’s sake.

So then I wonder about Bobby McGee. It’s a lament. A most exquisitely crafted one next to Dylan’s “Shooting Star”. What if Bobby is not the ultimate love/companion, but a whim of fantasy and out there beyond all those possibilities is another love more true, more rounded, more pliant, more a Kris Kristofferson kind of love? It’s the song of a young man but there will be others that follow beyond Toledo and the slipping away that stick. And, in there, there has to be love one would think. He’s a guy that’s had a future.

My favourite. For Johnny Cash:

Possibly my favorite of his after Me and Bobby McGee:

Great singer-songwriter.

But his acting stinks.

well written FOX !!

Thanks Tommy.

Intersesting story for me but. . . .
I heard that Kristofferson wrote [i]Sunday Morning Coming Down[i]. No company wanted it. I heard that Kris K was a member of the Nat. Reserve or otherwise had access to a helicopter. Again, what I heard was he took his unpublished song with him and flew to Johnny Cash’s Beach House and landed on a green nearby. He walked to Cash’s back door with the song manuscript in one hand and a bottle corn mash in the other. He was so audacious that J.C. listened, liked and history was made.

[quote=“2Enigma”]Intersesting story for me but. . . .
I heard that Kristofferson wrote [i]Sunday Morning Coming Down[i]. No company wanted it. I heard that Kris K was a member of the Nat. Reserve or otherwise had access to a helicopter. Again, what I heard was he took his unpublished song with him and flew to Johnny Cash’s Beach House and landed on a green nearby. He walked to Cash’s back door with the song manuscript in one hand and a bottle corn mash in the other. He was so audacious that J.C. listened, liked and history was made.[/quote]

I heard the same.

When I was learning Me and Bobby McGee on the guitar I went to YouTube (as you do) and found this version by Pink. I was surprised how good it is. I haven’t heard much of her other stuff but the girl can sing.