Medical Education in Taiwan

I’m not really sorry. It was a lie.

No problem, you can continue ridiculing yourself. No one is stopping you.

Why are you so angry?

Not sure why you asked, but I am not angry.
Is there anything I can do to help you on your issues?

Well, you’re something.

Thanks for the reply Gain!

I have a few questions regarding your post:

1. Why don’t you see any reason to choose to pursue a medical degree in Taiwan?

2. If most of the materials are English-based / follow the western education system, then why not pursue it here?

3. What did your friends / acquaintances think of the medical education here?

There are more factors than just “from a much poorer country”: lifestyle, convenience, covid, etc. I / you can’t just weigh one factor (expense) and make a conclusion based on that. This is why I want to get the full picture and fully understand this whole process in Taiwan: there’s not a great number of details about this.

Thank you again!

Hello Flakman!

This information is very useful! May I ask a few more questions regarding your post?

1. Does your sister-in-law’s kid practice medicine in Taiwan?

2. If possible, do you know of any thoughts / comments your sister-in-law’s kid said regarding medical education in Taiwan?

3. Also, if possible, were the course questions / exams English-based or Chinese-based? Could the questions have to be answered in English (as your sister-in-law’s kid studied / watched content on Youtube which I would assume were in English)?

Again, thank you very much for your input! Every piece of information is very useful / valuable when trying to see the full picture!

He is doing his residency at hospital. I am not sure if that is considered practicing medicine or not. I need to ask my sister-in-law about the classes.

It’s a very long commitment and as far as I know the medical education in Taiwan is probably as insular as it gets. I just don’t see how it’s worth it.

I went to school with them so they are all locals. To them it’s normal.

How can practicing medicine be more convenient for you? The materials might be in English but everything else is in Chinese.

And covid will be gone soon enough.

I think one of my cousin went to NTU Medical School. He worked like hell for it and I’m not sure he is a better person as a result. Because when I was young he was such an interesting person but now he’s a very boring adult who basically don’t want to engage at all with anyone.

I might add he worked like hell because his parents watched him like a hawk and basically bull whipped him into it, including threatening to disown him if he didn’t get into NTU Medical.

There are other areas of medicine you can consider besides medical school anyways, like pharmacy or nursing.

I find that hard to believe.

Could be a white, middle-aged, colonialist, oppressor kind of professor, me guess.

Some of them have worked their way into every kind of profession.

They must be challenged.
greta

Hi again Gain!

I still don’t quite see why it’s not worth studying medicine in Taiwan. What about studying medicine in more prestigious universities: NTU, TMU, CGU.

Not sure what you mean by “to them it’s normal”. To me, it sounds like you don’t think medical education is normal or view it the same way as they do. If so, why and how?

Where does one practice medicine can attribute to lifestyle, convenience, and other factors. Just weighing one thing (finance) isn’t the best thing to do when making a judgment.

“How can practicing medicine be more convenient for you?” I wouldn’t be making this post then.

I doubt Covid will be gone anytime soon.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hello Taiwan_Lutheirs!

I heard / read that studying medicine (regardless of country) is a long and tedious process. Especially if his parents were constantly putting him under pressure, this could’ve changed him. It’s a shame that his parents would threaten and treat him in such a manner, I hope that he is doing well now.

Since you’ve mentioned that he’s become a very boring adult, I don’t think he would / have talked to you much about his practicing in medicine.

If possible, do you know when or if he finished medical school? And if he is still practicing medicine in Taiwan?

Thank you for your reply!

I don’t know when he finished but probably in the late 90s or early 2000s. But he has his own clinic now. But I really don’t know much about him anymore.

I just know Taiwanese parents love that tiger mom stuff…

1 Like

Study medicine is NOT a long and tedious process in Taiwan compare to the U.S.
Medical school program in Taiwan starts from undergraduate, NOT graduate program. This alone can save years for the medical students.
Medical doctors(including dentists) in the U.S. all have “doctor’s” (graduate program) degrees, but not in Taiwan.

1 Like

It’s still highly competitive to even get accepted into medical programs.

It’s highly competitive to get accepted into any popular programs (such as computer science…etc) at any prestigious schools in ANY countries.

Except Taiwan is a VERY competitive country academically. You must be truly exceptional to even have a chance at any popular programs. We’re talking the difference between a 95% and 99% here. Any score lower than that and you can kiss your chance of getting into popular programs in Taiwan goodbye. Why do you think bushibans are so popular or why do students study 16 hours a day??

NTU is actually almost as hard to get into for Taiwanese as Ivy League schools in the US, and it’s nowhere near as prestigious. Any school beyond the five is basically no good and you might as well just save your money.

Whereas in the US you can get into a first or second tier school and you still have a chance at fairly popular programs if your grade isn’t bad (anything better than a B is good). In Taiwan it’s like anything short of perfection is not acceptable.

1 Like

This.

1 Like