Medical Tourism Survey

I know Survey’s can be a pain but if you could take a few moments to fill out my thesis survey pertaining to Destination Preferences of American Medical Tourists, it would immensely helpful.

I chose this topic in light of the growing industry surrounding medical tourism and the lack of market segmentation in perhaps the largest market, America. I am interested in both medical management as well as tourism, so this landed neatly into my interests. The survey analyzes the affects of attitude towards health, desired treatment, perceived risk, information source, and socio-demographic variables affect destination choice.

Thank everyone for reading my post. If you could go one step further and take a look at the survey it would be very much appreciated!

If you have any questions about the study or the survey, feel free to post or pm me.

Luke

surveymonkey.com/s/BZYHTVZ

Dude, that’s one of the worst-designed surveys I’ve ever run across.

First, who the hell listens to the MARKETING DEPARMENTS when considering elective medical treatment? You find out which physicians give good QUALITY of care. A hospital isn’t a bloody spa or resort. If anything, marketing literature, to me, is of NEGATIVE importance – the more some hospital tries to pimp itself with glossy leaflets espousing their adorable nursing staff, the more likely I am to assume they’re not serious about their medical care. If I want to see chicks in “Nurse Naughty” costumes, I go to Pattaya, not Phyathai.

Secondly, regarding types of treatments that someone would “consider”, your survey makes no effort to distinguish whether treatment is available at home or not. For example, in the U.S., the FDA approval process has a reputation for killing more people than it saves, because it delays time-critical treatments for cancer, AIDS, and other illnesses that are going to kill patients long before the approval process is completed. This is part of why Don Ho went to Thailand for cancer treatment a few years ago. On the other end of the spectrum, Britain and Canada both delay treatments for so long that patients are often forced to go elsewhere to get, e.g., joint replacement surgery in a timely fashion. You also don’t seem to distinguish between people who are actually living abroad (and therefore more likely to go someplace else to get treated) and those who are living in a first-world country (and who might not need to go elsewhere for quality medical care).

Third, what’s with the “yoga, spiritual, meditation, spa, stress relief, blah blah blah” junk? That has about as much to do with “medical tourism” as the availablility and cost of prostitutes.

Fourth, you don’t specify whether “alternative treatments” means new-age garbage like coffee enemas, or if it means bleeding-edge cancer therapies that are being delayed by aforementioned FDA.

Fifth, you only list India, Thailand, and “other” as possible destinations. What, you haven’t heard of Malaysia, Singapore, or Mexico?

Sixth, I’m not going to bother filling out income information or other fields that you require, so you’re just not going to get my results. Try not requiring them and maybe you’ll get more surveys filled out.

[quote=“lukeduke”]I know Survey’s can be a pain but if you could take a few moments to fill out my thesis survey pertaining to Destination Preferences of American Medical Tourists, it would immensely helpful.

I chose this topic in light of the growing industry surrounding medical tourism and the lack of market segmentation in perhaps the largest market, America. I am interested in both medical management as well as tourism, so this landed neatly into my interests. The survey analyzes the affects of attitude towards health, desired treatment, perceived risk, information source, and socio-demographic variables affect destination choice.

Thank everyone for reading my post. If you could go one step further and take a look at the survey it would be very much appreciated!

If you have any questions about the study or the survey, feel free to post or pm me.

Luke[/quote]
Perchance you should be aiming your “survey” at, um… Americans? Most of the people posting here are a) not American and b) not tourists. We kind of, um… how should I put this? Live here? Just a thought. Other than that, I agree totally with impaler.
Oops! Edit: Just noticed you’re at a school in Tainan, in which case, go right ahead. Neither your peers nor your professors nor your tutors will have the faintest idea of the mess you’ve made. Carry on, soldier! :thumbsup:

… and we certainly are not interested in medical tourism in Taiwan, we go to a hospital because we need to and than we look for the better ones that actually have a reputation in a medical field.

BTW, we don’t need to go somewhere else because Taiwan’s health system is cheap and good and pronto, no long waiting lists …

ok

Good God but the thresholds are set low these days.

I answered about 10-12 questions then closed the survey. I’m unclear on a couple of things. Maybe they’re mentioned somewhere but I don’t want to go looking for it.

1. Who is the survey geared toward? Nationality, age, income, illness?
  2. Is this survey about medical tourism in Taiwan?

My next point is OT, but we were just at the hospital for a minor surgery and if Taiwan is wanting to open up for medical tourism, they are probably aiming at countries where standards are lower, and procedures even more confusing. Maybe China.