Medical work in Taiwan

I am an Emergency Medical Technician here in the US and in school to get my RN. Although I would like to teach english in Taiwan, would I be able to get a job there in the other two fields above with US certifications? I have heard from friends who have lived in Taiwan for a while that an ambulance driver is sort of like a step up from a taxi driver. I have tried to find info on Taiwan’s EMS system and not found much. If some of you are in that business please help me with this part of the question.

THanks in advance.

You’re gonna be a certified RN, and you want to teach English? Is there guidance counseling at this school of yours? :slight_smile:

I know that labtechs can get jobs in hospitals here, but there’s no way you’ll be seeing the back of a cargo van…I mean ambulance, in Taiwan, unless you’re in need of one.

Good luck.

You’d need to go to the gym a lot and get good at throwing heavy weights around. That’s the entire skillset required for EMS work here.
You job is: find an injured person, hoik him up off the pavement and sling him into the back of a van. That’s it.

:laughing: Lol, Sandman. I meant I didn’t know if the RN cert from America would fly in Taiwan and English teacher would be my default job.
Haha, I’m betting that EMS work in Taiwan isn’t as heavy as it is in America. Every time I’ve been in Taiwan, seeing an obese person was usually an occassion for me. I think it is probably more hazardous too. We have a lot of safety precautions here. The insurance adjusters are finally beginning to sleep a full night, lol.

Anyway, thanks for the prompt answers sandman and jdsmith.

Do you speak Mandarin? If you don’t how do you expect to do RN work? Most of the job is communication intensive. I have worked with RN’s from other parts of the world (I’m in the U.S.) and recently my mother has been in hospital a number of times, requiring RN care - it sucks when the RN has poor English skills (in an English speaking country), and poorer understanding of cultural responses to illness and pain. It is no good for the RN’s colleagues or for the patients. Sorry I can’t be more positive about your plan, but stay in your own country to do RN care or come to Taiwan and teach English. I am highly skeptical regarding your ability to do RN related work in a foreign country unless you are fluent in the language.

Bodo

Bodo----I speak Mandarin, but not fluently. I agree with you that commucation is paramount in the medical industry (many others too, but this is the only one being discussed). I was only asking if the EMT or RN liscense would be recognized in Taiwan. Anyway, I won’t be done with nursing school for about another three years, and think I can improve my Mandarin a lot in that time. Although I think your first response to this question was skeptical (that is really not a bad thing), it did not answer my question at all. :wink:

Maaate, English teachers earn more than RNs in Taiwan. Still, I imagine the RN cert from the US would be readily recognised in Taiwan, since the US is pretty much the gold standard for RN qualifications the world over.

HG

Really?!! English teachers earn more than RNs?! :s Well…It is a valuable life skill…English I mean. If that is the case monetarily, I think I would still teach ENglish in Taiwan.
Being an RN in America is an extremely good job. By that I mean high pay, easy to get a job, good job security, can go anywhere in the country and get a job, and highly respected. Nurses are the backbone of almost any medical facilty here. Is it the same in Taiwan?