Medication by Mail

I need a perscription from Canada, my mother is willing to mail it to me as it will cost me a fortune every week to buy it here. Is this going to be a problem. How do I get around this.

Oh, I thought this was about other drugs by mail. I’ve wondered how easy it is to send marijuana in the mail. Not that I would ever consider doing something so stupid. :angel: And of course I don’t mean to condone the use or smuggling of illegal drugs. But I’ve wondered that in the abstract, hypothetical sense. If one were to bring drugs in personally in ones luggage, either checked or carryon, one risks being caught by drug sniffing dogs or random inspections on both ends of the flight (or being caught due to a snitch or a search due to suspicious behavior). Maybe not a huge risk, but big enough to make that a truly stupid idea. But the postal service doesn’t employ drug sniffing dogs, do they? So, unless someone snitched on the sender or recipient, I don’t see how one could possibly get caught sending drugs through the mail. Am I correct, or is there some other way drugs in the mail might be detected.

As for the prescription drugs referred to by the OP, that seems even less risky as they’re not as pungent as marijuana, so there should be an infinitesimal chance of being caught. At least that’s how I see it. I’d be curious if anyone has support for any contrary views.

No one has any stories or information to contribute to the discussion? :idunno:

NOTE TO OP - Schramland: Just a suggestion. You may want to edit the title of the thread to read “Prescription drugs by mail”. Prevent confusion and undue concern.

A few things:

First, as I recall, the recent major news story about foreigners and drug smuggling a couple of months ago in the Keelung area seemed to have a connection to bringing drugs into Taiwan via the postal mail. Therefore, a detection method is likely in place.

Second, there should be a clear rule on this, but with many things here, not easy to locate. I did find this from Taiwan’s National Bureau of Controlled Drugs. It seems to have been written with international travelers in mind (entering at the airport, etc):

[i]Article 23
A patient who brings into the country for legitimate personal use Schedule 1, 2 or 3 controlled drugs or
departs from the country with same must have a statement, along with the physician

Sometimes alittle common sense helps when tryin to interpret the law goes a long way. Regardless of the origin.

Send it by FedEx or similar service.

I have received medicines from home via DHL. A letter from the physician stating the medicine names needs to be attached alongwith. Nothing else I guess.

It was addressed to my office address. (if at all relevant)

I ordered a few years supply worth of a prescription medicine from the US – no problems. The American drug company wanted to see an original prescription. I took a picture of my original bottle, uploaded it to their website, paid via credit card, and two weeks later the medicine arrived by courier in Taiwan.

I can get the same medicine here, but I have to go for clinic visits every month which wastes time and money. Furthermore, while Taiwan’s hospitals are well equiped for the most part, the diagnosis skills of doctors lag behind Thailand, Singapore etc.

You can get most prescription drugs here without hassle:

The Shanghai Union Dispensary & Co. Ltd.
32 Henyang Road
Taipei
(02)2311-6644
shanghai@ms5.hinet.net

They are located on Henyang Road between Chongqing and Bo Ai Roads. You can reach it easily from Ximen Station by walking east on Henyang Road to just past Bo Ai Road and it will be on your right. It is also walking distance from Taipei Main Station or NTU Hospital Station.